Summers discusses OL issues/recruiting

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
THIS is why you always recruit 6 to 7 offensive linemen every class. That's between 24 to 28 OL. One third will transfer, get hurt, or never pan out. That puts you at 16-20 OL. That's 2 deep at all 5 positions with one line of redshirts when signing 6 a class.

6 to 7 OL every year? Let's not overreact. We don't need 6 to 7 OL per class.

Let's look at how some prominent programs have recruited OL over the last 6 years...

OL_Recruiting.jpg

Even with FSU's sporadic fat fetish, none of these schools is averaging over 4.7 per class. The main thing is consistency - not having consecutive years where you fail to get at least 3 or 4. I'd be delighted if we got 4 or 5 every year, but you could make a strong case for 3 or 4 per year being enough.

These numbers further prove the point that we have been trying to right the ship (regarding numbers) in the last 4 classes with 5, 6, 6, 3 OL recruits (avg 5).

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I wonder what his excuse is for guys like Sharpe,Ivey,and Johnson repeatedly blowing assignments which directly leads to the run getting blowed up or a QB sack? No way should they still be blowing this many assignments...that's on him and his piss poor coaching ability!
With your insider connections, have you heard anything about impending staff changes or at least some guys' seats being hotter than others?

Nord and Summers immediately come to mind, with Nuss not far behind.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
6 to 7 OL every year? Let's not overreact. We don't need 6 to 7 OL per class.

Let's look at how some prominent programs have recruited OL over the last 6 years...

View attachment 3998

Even with FSU's sporadic fat fetish, none of these schools is averaging over 4.7 per class. The main thing is consistency - not having consecutive years where you fail to get at least 3 or 4. I'd be delighted if we got 4 or 5 every year, but you could make a strong case for 3 or 4 per year being enough.

These numbers further prove the point that we have been trying to right the ship (regarding numbers) in the last 4 classes with 5, 6, 6, 3 OL recruits (avg 5).

Where are those 11 from Muschamp's last 2 years? I think I only see like 5 still listed on the roster.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's still no excuse for a bunch of 2nd and 3rdyear guys to be getting pushed around by North Texas and umass.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's still no excuse for a bunch of 2nd and 3rdyear guys to be getting pushed around by North Texas and umass.

Where did all those O linemen from Muschamp's last 2 years go? It appears only about 5 are still here out of 11. Trenton was CC so that explains him. Did a bunch just leave UF or get career injuries or something?

Dillard and Riles are the only names I recognize from 2013 still here.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Summers suppose to be a home run hire and the cure to our O line issues?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You are just jealous you weren't being "pushed around" by the big guys from UMASS and UNT.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Summers suppose to be a home run hire and the cure to our O line issues?

Yes, he was supposed to fix the issues from the previous OL coach, and work well with Roper.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 3993 You may have other ideas, but according to the article, they've been trying to recruit and train like crazy and after three years of insufficient recruiting (# of bodies) they've been trying to make up for it with increased recruiting (# of bodies) at the position(s).

However, we've had some pretty :crap:y luck with OL health ...and that created a perfect storm that led to last year's terrible lack of viable options.

The article implies that we finally have enough depth but we need to ratchet up the quality of the linemen (with the assumption of maintaining the proper numbers).

You can try hard at something (the opposite of doing nothing) and still fail. This is a story of all of the work to overcome three bad recruiting cycles followed by unfortunate injury and transfer circumstances.
ah yes, the excuse train. We tried real hard, so that's all that matters...

Master Yoda disagrees bro.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
When I hear things like "perfect storm" I know this staff is done for...that's all I heard during Muschamp's 4-8 season.

We love our excuses.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
All these excuses are really starting to remind me of the Zook and Muschamp years. Why, Bear Bryant himself couldn't have won a game in these conditions! Its a testament to Mac & Co's brilliance that Tennessee didn't beat us by a hundred.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
With your insider connections, have you heard anything about impending staff changes or at least some guys' seats being hotter than others?

Nord and Summers immediately come to mind, with Nuss not far behind.
That kind of stuff usually doesn't leak out until right before they make a change. However...I have heard that the "big time boosters" are really displeased with our offensive line development/recruiting. I expect a change right after the FSU game if we haven't landed some studs by then.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ah yes, the excuse train. We tried real hard, so that's all that matters...

Master Yoda disagrees bro.

I didn't give you excuses. I gave you the answers to the reading comprehension test after you missed the point by saying
Sounds like a whole lot of what we've known for 5 years. And a whole lot of nothing done about it either.

I said later in the thread that people started making sense, but your first reply didn't match what you read. Now, if you understand the circumstances and think that they don't excuse the poor results, that's different, but to say that nothing has been done about it, then you are just irrational.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't give you excuses. I gave you the answers to the reading comprehension test after you missed the point by saying

I said later in the thread that people started making sense, but your first reply didn't match what you read. Now, if you understand the circumstances and think that they don't excuse the poor results, that's different, but to say that nothing has been done about it, then you are just irrational.
My reading comprehension is fine. Trying to do something, and actually doing it are not the same dumbass. If they actually did what they've been TRYING to do for multiple years, we wouldn't be having this convo.

They haven't done anything. Recruiting is freaking pathetic, development of the non talent on the roster is awful. The guys that were supposed to have an upside actually look worse than the patchwork fillers that are supposed to be there just for emergency. All this means that, just like you keep saying, instead of actually doing something like say, evaluating and signing good players, actually developing and improving the guys on the roster, instead they are just TRYING.

Tell you what, next time you get an assignment from your boss at work, don't meet the deadline, but tell him you've been really trying hard the day its due. See what happens.

The participation trophy generation at its finest...

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
My reading comprehension is fine. Trying to do something, and actually doing it are not the same dumbass. If they actually did what they've been TRYING to do for multiple years, we wouldn't be having this convo.

They haven't done anything. Recruiting is freaking pathetic, development of the non talent on the roster is awful. The guys that were supposed to have an upside actually look worse than the patchwork fillers that are supposed to be there just for emergency. All this means that, just like you keep saying, instead of actually doing something like say, evaluating and signing good players, actually developing and improving the guys on the roster, instead they are just TRYING.

Tell you what, next time you get an assignment from your boss at work, don't meet the deadline, but tell him you've been really trying hard the day its due. See what happens.

Winston Churchill once said: There is no trying...you either do or you don't.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Your scenario is simple. That makes it easy to understand, but a bad correlation. When your job is to get other people to perform, all you can do is try. Summers can't block people himself. You can be held accountable for your level of success, but all you can do is try.

This has gone far beyond the original point and it won't get any better banging on our keyboards.

I'm not satisfied with the OL production. Something has been done about it. So far, it hasn't been successful enough. We're all wound up after OL failures largely contributed to the loss to UT. In fact people are shooting at every problem they see. Tomorrow's another chance. Let's hope they beat Vandy and the OL starts to show some improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.