Super Bowl LVIII: San Francisco vs. Kansas City

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Kyle Shannahan sucks the big one. What a fcvking moron taking the ball first in OT. I don’t know I’ve ever seen such stupidity in the Super Bowl. This is the same dipshyt who in the Falcons/Pats SB several years ago chose to pass the ball with a 25 point lead when 2 first downs achieved by rushing the ball wins the game.

And today, he said it was because, wait for it, the ANALYTICS said to take the ball first on the off chance that each team matched the other in the first two possessions-so his team would then get the ball on the 3rd possession.

What an incompetent fcvking tool! :facepalm:
While I too think the advantage is going to be to kick in that situation, I don't Shanahan's logic was as bad as you do - though it certainly looks moronic with the benefit of hindsight! (Additionally, a key factor backing up your point was unknown to Shanahan however: If the Chiefs had been down 7 when they got the ball, their plan was to go for 2 if they scored a TD, so there would be no third possession.) I thought Romo might be on to something last night when he wondered if the '9ers defense needed a break after having just come off the field. Since it wasn't mentioned in the post game pressers, I suppose it wasn't a factor considered by Shanny when he decided to take the ball. On second thought, maybe he is a moron.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Niners' D was on the field near end of regulation and gassed. That's probably why Shanahan elected to receive.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Niners' D was on the field near end of regulation and gassed. That's probably why Shanahan elected to receive.
The 49er players claim they had no effing clue what the new playoff OT rules were, meaning the coaches never made them aware. I'm thinking that Shanahan didn't either. His claim of "analytics" is pure BS.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The 49er players claim they had no effing clue what the new playoff OT rules were, meaning the coaches never made them aware. I'm thinking that Shanahan didn't either. His claim of "analytics" is pure BS.

KC's Hardman didn't know either and he caught the game-winning TD pass. So that makes that point a non-starter.

Shanahan explained his rationale for electing to receive was the possibility of getting the third possession to finish out the quarter. It's likely not all that different in winning odds from kicking off. It's not sudden death but rather win the quarter. If he wins, he's a genius, and vice versa.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
KC's Hardman didn't know either and he caught the game-winning TD pass. So that makes that point a non-starter.

Shanahan explained his rationale for electing to receive was the possibility of getting the third possession to finish out the quarter. It's likely not all that different in winning odds from kicking off. It's not sudden death but rather win the quarter. If he wins, he's a genius, and vice versa.
Yeesh. I had no idea you were related to Shanahan. Trying to weasel into his will, eh?

Hardman has the brains of a cinder block and is easily the worst player on the entire Chiefs roster. It's hilarious he caught the winning TD and didn't bumble it away. If you gave him 50 more IQ points he might be able to tie his shoes, although he'd drool all over himself in the process. Don't expect his dumb ass to be on the 2024 roster.

The Chiefs players with brains have already explained the coaching staff had the team completely prepared weeks in advance if there was an overtime game.

Shanahan had no clue what the overtime rules were. Zero. His "explanation" was fabricated, as telling the truth would have been quite embarrassing.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kyle Shannahan sucks the big one. What a fcvking moron taking the ball first in OT. I don’t know I’ve ever seen such stupidity in the Super Bowl. This is the same dipshyt who in the Falcons/Pats SB several years ago chose to pass the ball with a 25 point lead when 2 first downs achieved by rushing the ball wins the game.

And today, he said it was because, wait for it, the ANALYTICS said to take the ball first on the off chance that each team matched the other in the first two possessions-so his team would then get the ball on the 3rd possession.

What an incompetent fcvking tool! :facepalm:
All 3 Super Bowl losses by this clown, he had a 2nd half lead and chose to throw the ball and not follow the game plan that got you there.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Big deal!

Stop them, that’s all you needed to do.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I could actually see the analytics saying something like if the opponent scored last to force OT(momentum) and if it was the final possession(defensive fatigue), take the ball first. It could be viewed as a way to stop the tide and reverse momentum, plus give your defense a breather. But where I think a human brain comes in is that unless KC made a huge mistake, they were going to score a TD. I’d take my chances that they fumble or have a miscommunication INT, with a chance of my own to follow, over watching them march down the field with victory in sight. Once it was a TD wins it, it was over. For that matter, if there was an extra :30-45 in regulation, this game never even sees OT. They weren’t stopped by SF.

I’m not debating whether or not he truly relied on analytics. No idea. But if so, they may have hinted that was the play there. I’d just do it differently.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mahomes was terrible in the 2nd quarter and the 9ers should have pulled away. Kc tried to lose the game in the 2nd. Fumbles, an int...and SF said "no thanks."
Bc San Fran was an overrated team that needed an entire boat loads worth of luck just to get to the game and unbelievably got it. They were outplayed for 55 of 60 minutes by both playoff teams they faced and it took a bunch of insane flukes, miracles and awful missed calls to eek them past. Even at the chiefs worst, which is exactly what we saw yesterday, they still couldn't beat them. They are a very good team, they are nowhere near a great team. Chiefs are far superior, even having a bad game. You could roll that game back 2 or 3 more times and it would probably be more lopsided for the chiefs, no way they lay 3-4 eggs in a row. If they played like they had the last few weeks it would have been over by halftime.

In summary, niners can suck it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
OT also doesn’t happen if Mahomes sees Rice wide open in middle of the end zone when he tried to hit Kelce on that last 3rd down in regulation.

SF needed just one more play. It was a great game.
Rice was like Moses parting the red sea on that play. He could have moonwalked into the end zone untouched.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting analysis last night (stayed up wayyyyy too late) on how the Chiefs saw something with him and ran the same exact set at him 3-4 times in the second half, all of which extended drives and took advantage of his relentlessness. Not taking anything away from him, but the Chiefs took advantage.
That's his issue, too much over pursuit. Usually works on passes, gets gouged on runs.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Wrong, it doesn't matter if individual players may not all understand the clock and possession implications. That's for the coaches to manage. Players just need to play their assignment and run the play. Either shanahans knew them and made a bad decision, or received bc he was still playing by the old rules. Either way it's more evidence he doesn't have what it takes to get over the hump, at least not at this point in his career. He needs to spend less time on offensive play creation and more time on strategy and game/clock management improvements.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know you lack a clear consensus when two posters (Ox, Durty) attempting to argue against Shanahan find themselves on opposite ends of the spectrum over the impact of players on either team not being acquainted with the rules. I side with Durty, even if he's admittedly still boiling beneath the surface over a bunch of closet homos having made the SB. That's for the coaches to manage.

You can argue the bigger point both ways. It helps to operate with the knowledge of your opponent's initial possession, mindful that there is potentially another to come. The wild card is the possibility of the third possession, if in fact it comes down to it. That amounted to a big gamble in itself. Reid prefers the here and now over the come. Shanahan, since he likes come, chose it.

I did an audit of Kyle's credit cards, Ox. The utilization rate is a bit high for me. I'm removing myself from consideration for his estate. Besides, I'll be dead by then.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

The 49er's D should have been fresh at the end of the game. KC's last drive lasted about 90 seconds and they kicked the FG to push it into OT. Prior to that, KC had a drive from about the 11m30s mark to about the 5m50s mark of the 4th quarter. San Fran had the ball from about the 2m30s mark of Q3 to the 11m30s mark and again from the 5m45s to the 1m40s mark of Q4.

KC also did nearly nothing in Q3 and the 49er's D was resting for most of that quarter, too. KC's points in the 3rd quarter for the most part was a quick score off the punt that hit the 49er's foot and allowed KC to score in one play.

The defense was well rested in the 2nd half as far as NFL games go. The bottom line is Kyle Shannahan really sucks. I think he knows the rules also, as these rules have been in effect for a few seasons now. I'm a casual observer of the NFL and even I knew they changed the OT rules a few years ago. I truly believe he's just not a good coach in the big game spotlight and that he's another fool who has fallen for this analytics crap hook, line & sinker.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The 49er's D should have been fresh at the end of the game. KC's last drive lasted about 90 seconds and they kicked the FG to push it into OT. Prior to that, KC had a drive from about the 11m30s mark to about the 5m50s mark of the 4th quarter. San Fran had the ball from about the 2m30s mark of Q3 to the 11m30s mark and again from the 5m45s to the 1m40s mark of Q4.

KC also did nearly nothing in Q3 and the 49er's D was resting for most of that quarter, too. KC's points in the 3rd quarter for the most part was a quick score off the punt that hit the 49er's foot and allowed KC to score in one play.

The defense was well rested in the 2nd half as far as NFL games go. The bottom line is Kyle Shannahan really sucks. I think he knows the rules also, as these rules have been in effect for a few seasons now. I'm a casual observer of the NFL and even I knew they changed the OT rules a few years ago. I truly believe he's just not a good coach in the big game spotlight and that he's another fool who has fallen for this analytics crap hook, line & sinker.
gave you a like, but i disagree with him not being a good coach. i think hes very good coach, upper tier in the league and has been for some time. but hes not elite. he can be, but hes got to get out of his own way. he focuses way too much time and energy on offensive play design and creation. he's a very good player caller and runs a nice system, even if it is a bit old school and run game biased. He's got that humming and needs to dial back the time spent with it to focus on being an actual head coach. He's too much OC, not enough HC. He has the chops and ability, just needs to decide to make the change and do it.

I hate the niners more than pretty much any team in the nfl, even my own division rivals, but will admit shanahan is realy good, but hes not elite and wont be until he makes the adjustment. He can do it, and if he does they wil probably get over the hump. the question is will he and with every year that passes, it looks more like just isnt willing, despite being more than capable. Too stubborn to get out of his own way so far.

Detroitgator

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real Women
Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
gave you a like, but i disagree with him not being a good coach. i think hes very good coach, upper tier in the league and has been for some time. but hes not elite. he can be, but hes got to get out of his own way. he focuses way too much time and energy on offensive play design and creation. he's a very good player caller and runs a nice system, even if it is a bit old school and run game biased. He's got that humming and needs to dial back the time spent with it to focus on being an actual head coach. He's too much OC, not enough HC. He has the chops and ability, just needs to decide to make the change and do it.

I hate the niners more than pretty much any team in the nfl, even my own division rivals, but will admit shanahan is realy good, but hes not elite and wont be until he makes the adjustment. He can do it, and if he does they wil probably get over the hump. the question is will he and with every year that passes, it looks more like just isnt willing, despite being more than capable. Too stubborn to get out of his own way so far.
This has an "AI generated" feel... to prove you are not a robot, can you please clarify the difference between "very good" and "really good"? Honestly, I wasn't sure where you stood regarding him based on the first paragraph, but the second one made it clear to me.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This has an "AI generated" feel... to prove you are not a robot, can you please clarify the difference between "very good" and "really good"? Honestly, I wasn't sure where you stood regarding him based on the first paragraph, but the second one made it clear to me.
the same.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
apparently it means top shelf... URG style

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.