Talk about owned and destroyed

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I am not troll or a hater but, I do not think Sully will ever win the big one. Several times we have gone to Omaha with the best team and come away with Zip for National Championships. I am definitely not happy that Fooley gave him a lengthy contract extension and raise.

It's baseball, this stuff happens all the time. The CWS is extremely hard to win, heck look who won it last year. It's all about getting hot at the right time. I have no doubt he will break through for us.

Disclaimer- I don't think this year's team will do it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I saw this weird stat once, probably fake, suggesting that even the best MLB teams lose 70 games a year.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I saw this weird stat once, probably fake, suggesting that even the best MLB teams lose 70 games a year.

That's about right. The best MLB teams win 90-100 games which means they lose 60-70 in a 162 game season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sarcasm bro. Sometimes subtlety adds to it.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Baseball is a weird game. The most talented team doesn't always win. I've been coaching HS baseball for about 20 years and now is the time to get hot. The further you go, it comes down to who can execute. My only gripe about Sully (who does a fantastic job) is that he doesn't play enough small ball. Too many times we rely on guys to come through and it doesn't pan out. I believe in moving guys over and putting pressure on the defense. Go Gators, win it all!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to know your knowledge of anything other than whining and complaining...

:grin:
I suspect you will wait a long time before you find me whining and complaining about baseball.

Or watching baseball.

Or clicking on baseball threads. This one was solely by accident bc the thread title was poor.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What this team never started with and never developed is a "heavy-hitting" team. I mean freshman year Schwartz hit 18 HRs --- we needed that this year. Last year, coming back from injury, Maldanado tore the cover off the ball. This year our extra-base hitting, thus RBIs, weren't available = too few came through at the plate. Plus we had an off year in # of dominant pitchers.

So recruiting wasn't up to its usual superior level. Never saw us so uncompetitive as against Arkansas, though. It's a new lowest low and lows usually follow the signing of a lucrative, long-term contract. Which is always a stupid gesture.

Now, going forward, these Gator individual players will have to transform each self into Major League hitters & pitchers. It seems to me that we cannot possibly have a good enough batting coach(es) if he (they) cannot get JJ to hit 20 HRs per season over the years, plus Maldanado, plus a few newcomers to have better slugging% averages.
These playoffs can be fun, even with us being eliminated ... as long as we don't get slaughtered. This will be the crucial "run" to find out if we have really good baseball coach-teachers. Sad that it's dubious to say "wait 'til next year".

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball is a weird game. The most talented team doesn't always win. I've been coaching HS baseball for about 20 years and now is the time to get hot. The further you go, it comes down to who can execute. My only gripe about Sully (who does a fantastic job) is that he doesn't play enough small ball. Too many times we rely on guys to come through and it doesn't pan out. I believe in moving guys over and putting pressure on the defense. Go Gators, win it all!
Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, we botched a situation in Omaha last year because we had our #3 hitter trying to sac bunt instead of swinging away.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I find it odd that some of the same folks that bash Sully defend Mac to death. :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect you will wait a long time before you find me whining and complaining about baseball.

Or watching baseball.

Or clicking on baseball threads. This one was solely by accident bc the thread title was poor.

:lmao2:

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, we botched a situation in Omaha last year because we had our #3 hitter trying to sac bunt instead of swinging away.
Yes we did and we also had 2 chances against Coastal to bunt and chose not to. One we had runners on 1st and 2nd w 0 outs. Didn't score either time. It's just a matter of feeling. I understand both sides. I just prefer to make the D make plays w runners in scoring position.
Go Gators!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This was the plan all the time, the pitcher in this game was not one of our better ones, saving them for later when it really counts. I did not like it much but strategy is part of the system.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes we did and we also had 2 chances against Coastal to bunt and chose not to. One we had runners on 1st and 2nd w 0 outs. Didn't score either time. It's just a matter of feeling. I understand both sides. I just prefer to make the D make plays w runners in scoring position.
Go Gators!

I prefer bunting in that situation if a guy on the mound pitches to contact (like a Maddux type for instance). But not so much against a flamethrower that can consistently miss bats. Like you said it just depends on the situation, as to what the best strategy might be. Up one, down one etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator