Team full of 3 stars beats a team full of 5 stars

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I thought Columbia was one of the North Central FL football factories. This has changed?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's go out and recruit a bunch of 3 stars because of one half of a meaningless scrimmage. It's a RARITY.

Anyone who thinks stars do not matter has a serious mental defect. Will there be upsets every now and then? Yes. But stars matter.

Individually stars mean ****...collectively they tend to mean a whole lot and nobody can argue that

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Individually stars mean ****...collectively they tend to mean a whole lot and nobody can argue that
True, to an extent. I’d argue that they matter individually too. Not a perfect indicator but 5 stars are generally more successful- by any metric.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
img.jpg

No wonder IMG lost. Are rich parents paying their kids way in there now? :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is that the kid from Spykids on the far right?

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True, to an extent. I’d argue that they matter individually too. Not a perfect indicator but 5 stars are generally more successful- by any metric.

Yes...what I really meant is that anytime people argue stars they use one offs...the 3* stud or the 5* flop.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I thought Columbia was one of the North Central FL football factories. This has changed?

I live in Lake City and we have had some pretty good ball players come thru here, the problem is getting them to Fl. The pipeline from Lake City heads to that school out west. Im hoping that might change with a WR or two LC has on this team, they are the real deal.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
so it can be done, kinda like if a Boise St were to beat an Oklahoma? UCF were to beat Auburn? Oh wait...

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I am not an IMG Fan. (I don't like the system)

But again, Stars don't win games...Execution wins games.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I am not an IMG Fan. (I don't like the system)

But again, Stars don't win games...Execution wins games.
Out of the two IMG 2017 QBs, once is starting as a walk at Minnesota and the other is probably starting for Rutgers. Not exactly great QBs at IMG.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I am not going to litigate that question with you right now. All I know is that for a half, CHS shredded IMG to the tune of 33-0 at one point. Maybe the CHS kids just wanted it more than the IMG kids. For that one half the 3 and 2* of CHS played like 5*.

I can guess at why that was.

Some years back I coached some middle school prep basketball. There was a school in our county that was monstrous. They all played AAU ball together in the off season. Their coach was a wanna-be Pat Riley. Most of my team were football guys who I had convinced (suckered?) into playing basketball as a way of making them more explosive and quick. For the most part, we looked like a Zambo humping a football.

We had a home and home scheduled with them. The first one was at their gym and it was an absolute blood letting. As I just tried to keep my guys in the game their ******* coach was actually mocking the defense calls I making into my team. Real class act. Their players were clowning my guys on the court - making them feel small. Refs were letting this whole thing go on. I had to pull a couple of guys because I could tell they were about to boil over.

Then they had to hear about it school, from their football teammates not on the team - etc. Three weeks later they came to our place. I felt bad for our guys because even though they put forth good effort and were competitive I knew they realistically had no chance - I just hoped it was going to be closer than the first time. Every time we hosted I would greet the other team as they arrived to make sure they had everything they needed. The only real basketball player on our team was a shortish point guard named Gabe who was one of the most polite kids I have ever met. He was the team captain and always went with me to welcome the opposing team. When I wished their coach a good game, he smirked at me and said "I hope you keep the clock running." The three kids walking behind him started outright laughing and slapping hands. I felt the heat start to hit my cheeks and turned to leave before I said anything that would have shamed Momma Five-Star. Gabe, it seemed had already split.

When I got back to the locker room he was standing up on one of the benches cussing a blue streak. The 275lb 8th grader who was a converted DT playing center for us was throwing himself against lockers like he had gotten rabies. It was a nutty scene. Kids were yelling, swearing, throwing ****. At the time I was a teacher at the middle school but my presence didn't seem to disturb their fury in the slightest. I had to yell four or five times just to get them under control. The better (wiser?) part of me thought I should either make sure they understood they couldn't act this way at school or perhaps even forfeit in fear one of them would slug someone at the tip off. But the other part of me was as pissed and feral as they were - so I decided to try and harness it. I just stared at them for a minute or so in silence. Then I said something like "these guys have no respect for you at all. You have to play clean or I'll pull you - but you make damn sure they don't leave here laughing at you." More yelling and jumping around. I thought they might have been out of gas by the time we finished warm ups. I also thought something might happen that would get me fired. They weren't and it didn't.

Guys that tended to be slow getting back on defense were running like their shorts were on fire. Guys were laying out for loose balls. Their big man made everything go, and from the start he was wearing our center like an over-sized coat. It made him take perimeter shots that weren't falling. In the meantime, Gabe was electric. Everything he shot early was falling so when he would drive the defense would collapse and give our guys open looks. About midway through the first half their big man got frustrated tried to elbow our center in the face and when he got called - started giving lip. The refs tossed him. Even without him they were much better than us, but they lost composure and couldn't ever get up momentum to close us out. They'd get it close and then miss a shot or we'd force a turnover and they would **** the bed yelling at each other while we created breathing room. We ended up winning by five but you would have thought that we won a NBA title in a blowout.

I guarantee you those guys felt disrespected and were tired of hearing how good IMG was. In addition, maybe IMG came in not taking them serious. When those two things collide weird outcomes can occur in sports.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
Hopefully our players are feeling disrespected and taken for granted by the other teams because of the 4-8 record.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
so it can be done, kinda like if a Boise St were to beat an Oklahoma? UCF were to beat Auburn? Oh wait...
It can be done.

But the other 99% of the time you get your shyt pushed in hard and deep and then you wander around for a decade saying this 5 or 8 loss team is underrated and needs to RISE.

Champion teams dont need to rise.

leogator

May 5, 2018
It can be done.

But the other 99% of the time you get your shyt pushed in hard and deep and then you wander around for a decade saying this 5 or 8 loss team is underrated and needs to RISE.

Champion teams dont need to rise.
Even the 2008 team had a loss and so did the 1996 team. So those teams had to rise above adversity to become champions. It's just that this team has to do it every game! :D

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah all those teams had to RISE to the occasion. Owned and Destroyed! Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator