Tebow promoted to High A club - hits another HR

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I read an article years ago about that play. Van slyke wanted Barry to play more shallow than he was since the batter didn't have much pop. Barry apparently gave old Andy the finger , and the rest is history . Nevertheless when Barry got the ball sid was rounding third . A good throw and he's toast . I can still remember AVS laying in center in tears after that one. One of the best game 7's in MLB history
Growing up in Atlanta area that play is etched into my mind along with the call from Carey. To bad the braves got smoke by the blue jays after blowing it the year before.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Usually the left fielder is the worst defensive player on the team. Sometimes it's an aging vet who just doesn't have the wheels or gun anymore. Barry bonds played left because he had a rag arm and was an an average at best outfielder. That's right folks. One of the greatest sluggers the game has ever seen couldn't throw out a one legged man at home with literally a trip to the fall classic on the line.
His later career plays to this but it was his knees and not arm that was going. He should have gone to the AL to DH.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Growing up in Atlanta area that play is etched into my mind along with the call from Carey. To bad the braves got smoke by the blue jays after blowing it the year before.

And weren't the Braves the self-proclaimed "Team of the 90's"?
Where did I read that...hmm...

17973c_lg.jpeg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

17973c_lg.jpeg
Team of the 90's, yet the Blue Jays and Yankees had more World Series titles that decade, and they had the same number as the Reds, Twins, and Marlins. :lol2:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

17973c_lg.jpeg
I never got that either. Played in 5, won 1 and blew 2. I still curse Charlie Liebrants name on a daily basis and Bobby cox for putting him in to blow game 6 against the Twins. Throw in Lonnie smiths base running blunder when they faked having the ball on a pop up and Gant getting pushed off second and I think that one haunts Braves fans more than any other. 96 they just fell apart after Wohlers imploded.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Critics should give recognition to the fact that the average time spent in the minors before a player performs good enuff to get into the majors is 4-6 years ... and that's players with no years of rust. With 3 more years of minor league playing, how will Tebow compare to others at that level? Again, the demands on only Tebow are overbearing. Tim's giving fun to fans & his teammates. He's making all his league's teams more financially stable. Why not relax and let it play out however it does. What about that "feelgood" movie "The Natural" where the older player came back to baseball: Roy Hobbs. Why can't today's in the moment fans enjoy Tim's non-fiction story? Tebow has to do it in reality and that involves moderately paced steps & stumbles.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I never got that either. Played in 5, won 1 and blew 2. I still curse Charlie Liebrants name on a daily basis and Bobby cox for putting him in to blow game 6 against the Twins. Throw in Lonnie smiths base running blunder when they faked having the ball on a pop up and Gant getting pushed off second and I think that one haunts Braves fans more than any other. 96 they just fell apart after Wohlers imploded.

I've never understood the love for scheurholtz . He usually got it right in free agency, but making moves like signing Greg Maddux is a no brainer . His trades on the other hand were usually dreadful. I'm convinced his shipping of David justice to Cleveland cost the braves a minimum of one World Series championship.

Remember it was justice that came up with the clutch homer late to win the 95 series. He would be shipped a little over a year later to the Indians with Grissom another damn fine player for a one year rental of lofton and a average reliever . Hard to make a much worse deal than that .

It's true the braves had andruw waiting in the wings . Dealing Grissom made sense , but not DJ. No way Jose . Really his only trade that worked out was getting crime dog from the padres for a bag of baseballs. Every other deal that comes to mind was an absolute dud, and there were several. Wainwright , jermaine dye, the deal for texiera etc .

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I've never understood the love for scheurholtz . He usually got it right in free agency, but making moves like signing Greg Maddux is a no brainer . His trades on the other hand were usually dreadful. I'm convinced his shipping of David justice to Cleveland cost the braves a minimum of one World Series championship.

Remember it was justice that came up with the clutch homer late to win the 95 series. He would be shipped a little over a year later to the Indians with Grissom another damn fine player for a one year rental of lofton and a average reliever . Hard to make a much worse deal than that .

It's true the braves had andruw waiting in the wings . Dealing Grissom made sense , but not DJ. No way Jose . Really his only trade that worked out was getting crime dog from the padres for a bag of baseballs. Every other deal that comes to mind was an absolute dud, and there were several. Wainwright , jermaine dye, the deal for texiera etc .
Yep the Justice and Grissom for Lofton made zero sense considering Lofton didn't want to play there. The McGriff trade was the only one that worked out though. Hell Texiera and Sheffield could not wait to leave. Brian Jordan was ok, Reggie sanders was forgettable and I had forgotten about Dye. Other than the pitchers the only FA I remember him getting that was really good for them was Galaraga. The farm system they had then was top notch though and produced a lot of good players they eventually gave away for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator