Thanksgiving Desserts

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing says “Thanksgiving“ like unbuckling your belt, opening your pants, and sitting down for a little dessert after downing those two heaping plates of turkey and dressing with giblet gravy, sweet potato casserole (if it’s got marshmallows it’s called “soufflé“ down south), green beans, yeast rolls, etc. The question is, what is your go-to? Traditional or something you might not necessarily associate with the holiday?

As a man who’s lived his entire life in the Panhandle and who’s roots are in LA (Lower Alabama for you feather legs) and Southeast Georgia, traditional is the way we roll at the holiday table. Likewise with our desserts. Whether it’s just the immediate family (five of us) or the extended version (20-25), there’ll always be pies. Pumpkin, Sweet potato, and old fashioned coconut custard. These are what my aunts and grandma always made. Rarely a cake. I guess the pies, usually made in sets of two, were quicker to turn out after spending a couple of days with the turkey, maybe a ham, the dressing, and the smorgasbord of casseroles, vegetables, and other support dishes.

Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, and Coconut are all fantastic. The first two are pretty synonymous with Thanksgiving and Fall in general and are the piece de resistance for the day’s meals. If I had to pick only one to eat, it’d be pumpkin. Aunt Snooks (my granddaddy’s older sister) made one with condensed milk that was out of this world and it’s the recipe we use to this day. Just something about the fall spices in a perfectly textured filling with a browned, flaky crust and I’m two slices away from a sugar coma.

So pumpkin does it for me. What do you like to top off the meal? More traditional or something not necessarily associated? Is your favorite influenced by where you’re from, where you are now, how your family dines? I’m always interested in learning more about different traditions.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Pumpkin, sweet potato, and pecan pies
Hot peach cobbler fresh out of the oven topped with vanilla ice cream
And coffee.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A classic pecan and pumpkin pie is all that is needed. Although I do enjoy a slice of pumpkin/cream cheese log rolls.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Apple pie

Southern tradition for us was always pecan pie but I’m not a fan.
Interesting. I left it out of my favorite list because it’s just a little too sweet for my taste. But my wife loves it. Also, some recipes seem to turn out real sticky.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My ex always made me a pecan pie. Its like crack to me. Then she was my ex and there was no pie. My SIL took over but then her oldest got married on **** thanksgiving day no less. So no pie. I went to visit my close friend in Tallacrappy the next year and it turned out my first love lived across the street and lo and behold, she had some pecan pies .....So I got my fix. The lord has watched over coach his entire life. ( i do pray a lot). This year I tried again to make pecan pies myself . Made two, one with brown sugar and cane syrup and the other just regular. I THINK the regular one was the star. My friends (i was up in tallacrappy again) ate most of the night before THanksgiving but I got some. IT WAS perfect. Now I gotta try again. So guess im saying pecan pie is the only pie I need for the holiday...........btw my pecan tree was loaded this year and we are still shelling nuts.........

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Apple pie

Southern tradition for us was always pecan pie but I’m not a fan.
My GF and her kids don't really like pumpkin pie that much, so she always makes apple for them. I don't mind...I eat it...especially with the streusel topping she puts on it. However, growing up at home in Florida, it was always pumpkin or vanilla custard.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Loved pumpkin pie as a kid, not so much anymore. We usually go with pecan or apple pie, but we were lazy this year and went with this...
IMG_4925.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pumpkin and pecan pie are my favorite similar to the rest of you guys I suppose . Nice story cover !

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A woman named Sharon Weiss baked a pie from Marie Callender and it burned to a crisp.
She shared a picture of her pie and complained to MC that they “ruined her Thanksgiving dessert”.
Then the internet intervened in all its meme glory

1669389270941.png

1669389318567.png

1669389349487.png

1669389404014.png

1669389436898.png

1669389476861.png

1669389503575.png

1669389583335.png

1669389661665.png

1669389688434.png

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
A woman named Sharon Weiss baked a pie from Marie Callender and it burned to a crisp.
She shared a picture of her pie and complained to MC that they “ruined her Thanksgiving dessert”.
Then the internet intervened in all its meme glory

View attachment 51513

View attachment 51514

View attachment 51515

View attachment 51516

View attachment 51517

View attachment 51518

View attachment 51519

View attachment 51521

View attachment 51523

View attachment 51524
OMG...thank you so much for that. I haven't laughed that hard in weeks.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Apple Pie for me

The wife made these sugar cookie cups with banana pudding in them that were pretty good this year

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My ex always made me a pecan pie. Its like crack to me. Then she was my ex and there was no pie. My SIL took over but then her oldest got married on **** thanksgiving day no less. So no pie. I went to visit my close friend in Tallacrappy the next year and it turned out my first love lived across the street and lo and behold, she had some pecan pies .....So I got my fix. The lord has watched over coach his entire life. ( i do pray a lot). This year I tried again to make pecan pies myself . Made two, one with brown sugar and cane syrup and the other just regular. I THINK the regular one was the star. My friends (i was up in tallacrappy again) ate most of the night before THanksgiving but I got some. IT WAS perfect. Now I gotta try again. So guess im saying pecan pie is the only pie I need for the holiday...........btw my pecan tree was loaded this year and we are still shelling nuts.........
The pecan pie references got me thinking. My mother in law was a fantastic cook and always made pecan pie for the holidays. I guess it was only fitting since the farm had over a hundred trees of different varieties. Her recipe called for Karo syrup and she‘d mostly use Elliot pecans (small, roundish nut with plenty of oil in it). I could eat them as they weren’t so sticky and the filling had a smooth almost custard-like texture. Jones Meats in Climax Ga, where we get our steers processed and buy sausage, bacon, and other staples, has a guy that makes pecan pies throughout the year that are similar to my mother in law’s.

Coach, you mentioned cane syrup and that made me think of one of the best sweet potato pies I ever had. My granddaddy used to get a black lady named Mattie to help my grandma clean a little and Mattie was known in the Quincy area as the “Tater Pie Lady.” We’d get a pie from her at Thanksgiving and it was out of this world. She wouldn’t share her recipe, but she did tell me that the secret was using cane syrup and dusting the top before baking with finely chopped pecans. I’ve experimented and come pretty close, but haven’t quite been able to zero in. Cane syrup, as my granddaddy used to say, was for the country folks and if you grow up on it, maple syrup just ain’t the same.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The pecan pie references got me thinking. My mother in law was a fantastic cook and always made pecan pie for the holidays. I guess it was only fitting since the farm had over a hundred trees of different varieties. Her recipe called for Karo syrup and she‘d mostly use Elliot pecans (small, roundish nut with plenty of oil in it). I could eat them as they weren’t so sticky and the filling had a smooth almost custard-like texture. Jones Meats in Climax Ga, where we get our steers processed and buy sausage, bacon, and other staples, has a guy that makes pecan pies throughout the year that are similar to my mother in law’s.

Coach, you mentioned cane syrup and that made me think of one of the best sweet potato pies I ever had. My granddaddy used to get a black lady named Mattie to help my grandma clean a little and Mattie was known in the Quincy area as the “Tater Pie Lady.” We’d get a pie from her at Thanksgiving and it was out of this world. She wouldn’t share her recipe, but she did tell me that the secret was using cane syrup and dusting the top before baking with finely chopped pecans. I’ve experimented and come pretty close, but haven’t quite been able to zero in. Cane syrup, as my granddaddy used to say, was for the country folks and if you grow up on it, maple syrup just ain’t the same.
My grandmother had huge pecan trees on her property in Macon, Ga. Every year we would get pecans to shell and then mom would freeze them and make pies using Karo syrup. Those are my early memories of Thanksgiving with family. Probably similar to other families with southern Ga roots.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator