The Buyout

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't see why sexton's ties to potential clients comes to play.

His agent shouldn't negotiate the buy out, his lawyers should.

Example 1,342,499 that Mac went full retard here in every facet.

If I were the guy tweeting this out, I would be far more careful about accusing an agent like this from defrauding his client. I would think that Mr. Sexton would not take very kindly to such claims. He might even litigate over claims that he puts his own interest ahead of his clients.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
If I were the guy tweeting this out, I would be far more careful about accusing an agent like this from defrauding his client. I would think that Mr. Sexton would not take very kindly to such claims. He might even litigate over claims that he puts his own interest ahead of his clients.

I'm not too worried. A claim of conflict of interest is not libel.

If I were Mac, I'd rather have a lawyer with no ties to my potential successors than a guy who will get 6% of the new contract if his client is the next coach.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
UF is loathe to let this thing drag on, wants to cut bait and get it behind them. Look for it to be somewhere in the middle of the $12.8 million
contract clause figure and the low-ball figure offered to Butters of $4 million. $8 millions sounds to be the figure, give or take a million.
Doesn't really matter. Boosters will cough up the cash.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

If I were Mac, I'd rather have a lawyer with no ties to my potential successors than a guy who will get 6% of the new contract if his client is the next coach.
yeah but it is exactly the multiple clients, direct knowledge of multiple other contracts, and deep knowledge of the ADsand their processes that allow this particular agent to get his clients oversized contracts. it will also allow him to try to repair the damage that butterteeth did to himself and get him another nice payday someday somewhere. Some team will be desperate and will bite, probably Tinerc.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw somewhere else that there's a rumor of $4 mil, but 3 to CSU 1 to Mac.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Saw somewhere else that there's a rumor of $4 mil, but 3 to CSU 1 to Mac.

If this is the case, it's very surprising. The buyout to CSU seems like it's a completely separate issue. But if that's the deal, it works to our benefit BIG TIME! He's only going to walk w/ $1 million. A lot to you and I, but he was set to get $12.9 million....and WE would have still been on the hook for the $1.5 million we owed to CSU. So he could have cleared $11.4 million (after he paid his share of the CSU buyout). So he's losing more than $10 million for claiming "death threats". Wow!!

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
yeah but it is exactly the multiple clients, direct knowledge of multiple other contracts, and deep knowledge of the ADsand their processes that allow this particular agent to get his clients oversized contracts. it will also allow him to try to repair the damage that butterteeth did to himself and get him another nice payday someday somewhere. Some team will be desperate and will bite, probably Tinerc.

I agree, and those contacts and knowledge are perfect for getting his next contract, not negotiating the millions of dollars we will pay him NOT to ever do anything gators related ever again.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this is the case, it's very surprising. The buyout to CSU seems like it's a completely separate issue. But if that's the deal, it works to our benefit BIG TIME! He's only going to walk w/ $1 million. A lot to you and I, but he was set to get $12.9 million....and WE would have still been on the hook for the $1.5 million we owed to CSU. So he could have cleared $11.4 million (after he paid his share of the CSU buyout). So he's losing more than $10 million for claiming "death threats". Wow!!

Who knows if it had any merit. All speculation at this point.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

No the claim is not conflict of interest, but rather acting against the interest of his client. I guess the defense would be that Sexton is a public figure and he must show malice to win damages for libel. I could see that as a close close call.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
No the claim is not conflict of interest, but rather acting against the interest of his client. I guess the defense would be that Sexton is a public figure and he must show malice to win damages for libel. I could see that as a close close call.

If your gonna go into lawyer mode: the claim is that I have a concern about a conflict of interest, not that one exists. Further, if there is a conflict, I did not say Sexton would ignore it. 3rd, if sexton did act despite the conflict, there is no indication either Mac or the possible new coach is harmed by it. 4th, perhaps Sexton had Mac and new coach knowingly file a conflict of waiver.

Finally, as we all know Gatorchatter was responsible for the early termination. However, I doubt sexton suffered any damages from my post.

If he did, I'll call you to defend me.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If your gonna go into lawyer mode: the claim is that I have a concern about a conflict of interest, not that one exists. Further, if there is a conflict, I did not say Sexton would ignore it. 3rd, if sexton did act despite the conflict, there is no indication either Mac or the possible new coach is harmed by it. 4th, perhaps Sexton had Mac and new coach knowingly file a conflict of waiver.

Finally, as we all know Gatorchatter was responsible for the early termination. However, I doubt sexton suffered any damages from my post.

If he did, I'll call you to defend me.

Not you, but the guy who posted online claiming that Sexton did not pursue McElwain's full buyout very hard because he wanted to benefit from UF's next hire. That is what we were discussing.

Your post certainly did Sexton no harm unless you are the guy quoted originally. The person originally quoted claimed Sexton acted on his possible conflict on interest and therefore mistreated his client to whom he had a fiduciary duty.

And of course since I am not an attorney, I do not practice law.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only way I imagine these $4 million buyout stories can be true would be that Sexton and Mac must think that UF has enough "due cause" ammunition against him. No way McElwain walks away from that much money otherwise. I don't care how much he may have wanted out of Gainseville.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only way I imagine these $4 million buyout stories can be true would be that Sexton and Mac must think that UF has enough "due cause" ammunition against him. No way McElwain walks away from that much money otherwise. I don't care how much he may have wanted out of Gainseville.
The other thing Mac has to really consider here is that if he plays chicken with Stricklin and it ends up going to court, he could wind up with nothing while still owing CSU more than a million. That puts Stricklin in a much stronger bargaining position. Paying the whole buyout would be irritating for us, but getting nothing would absolutely ruin Mac.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't wrap my head around the fact that we write contracts in such a way that we have to pay somebody any significant amount of money for doing such a crappy job. His severance should have been the balance of this years salary and that's it.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Are the terms of the buy out subject to public records/sunshine laws?

I've never understood if the UAA is a private or public entity.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has made over $12 million in his short time here. He'd probably find a way to scrape by.
How much of that went to CSU and how much went to the IRS? Maybe ruin is too strong, but that payment to CSU would be pretty tough to come up with I would guess.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't wrap my head around the fact that we write contracts in such a way that we have to pay somebody any significant amount of money for doing such a crappy job. His severance should have been the balance of this years salary and that's it.

Crazy, isn't it. Upfront money for the hope of promised results. Other than sports, Hollywood and CEO's I don't know of a lot of positions with these type of sweetheart compensation packages.

Some would call it classic supply and demand capitalism but I call it bull$h!t. It's crony capitalism. Everybody in the small tight knit circle benefits from it but the schools and fans get screwed. ADs are tight with agents and coaches. They have a symbiotic/antagonistic relationship with a lot of back scratching going on. It's like the corporate world where boards of directors and compensation committees are made up of other CEO's. It creates a false market with no one stopping to say, "Hey, what the hell are we doing? This makes no sense. We should pay a nominal base salary with most of the compensation tied to performance with no golden parachutes or guarantees if you fail miserably."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator