The Comeback...that almost wasn't!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ancient Reptile;n286845 said:
Cover, I am at a fish camp with no TV. All I knew was the ESPN play by play results. Knew we were gashed in the running game, but didn't know why.
Much of that due to the multitude of missed tackles. Morrison made a couple of good plays, but the Vols were able to pin the LBs on several occasions. One personnel grouping had a safety (forget who right now) playing an ILB with the same result. I specifically noticed these guys taking a false step after the snap that made sealing them pretty easy for the Vols OL. So I guess it was a combination of poor fundamentals and techniques. That said, I do expect improvement from the front six/seven technically and much better tackling from the unit as a whole as we move forward in the schedule. Probably more concerned with the tackling as it was worse yesterday in game four than the previous three, but then the Vols were a little better and their QB was a legitimate running threat, though maybe not quite as good as we made him look. Their RB (Hurd) was good and will only get better IMO barring injury and/or programmatic turmoil, which isn't out of the question given their late game collapses against us and Oklahoma this year, which Jones must wear.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
NVGator;n286718 said:
Boy, could you imagine Cover2 and AlexDaGator in the same thread. Would quite possible be the longest thread in history.

And me, since I'm known to write long posts.

VulcanAlex;n286725 said:
But it would be very informative.

Ok. Nevermind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

C2 -

Mostly agree, though I didn't read the typical depth of analysis in your OP that I'm used to seeing. Were you just too upset about the poor tackling, as evidenced by your more heated choice of words? To be honest, I don't think our tackling was much worse than the first few games, I think it was finally visible against KY with SEC players running against us and wholly exposed against TN (I agree Hurd is a quality back, and Dobbs looked better than he is at running based on our tackling effort).

My question would be 'why'? WM had a reputation for defensive play, and I don't recall these tackling woes under him. Was it just not as visible in recent years, or has the team taken a drop off this year? If so, what would be driving that (I could guess, but I'm football illiterate)? More important, what can be done to fix it, and quickly? Four games into the season I wouldn't expect to see this as a problem such that we need to go back to basic drills for basic skills. Any thoughts?

PS .... Ice-T >> LLCoolJ, other than you were right.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n287473 said:

Ok. Nevermind.

C2 -

Mostly agree, though I didn't read the typical depth of analysis in your OP that I'm used to seeing. Were you just too upset about the poor tackling, as evidenced by your more heated choice of words? To be honest, I don't think our tackling was much worse than the first few games, I think it was finally visible against KY with SEC players running against us and wholly exposed against TN (I agree Hurd is a quality back, and Dobbs looked better than he is at running based on our tackling effort).

My question would be 'why'? WM had a reputation for defensive play, and I don't recall these tackling woes under him. Was it just not as visible in recent years, or has the team taken a drop off this year? If so, what would be driving that (I could guess, but I'm football illiterate)? More important, what can be done to fix it, and quickly? Four games into the season I wouldn't expect to see this as a problem such that we need to go back to basic drills for basic skills. Any thoughts?

We had some of the same tackling issues in games under WM, Alabama game seems to be a big one. Where guys were going to the "big" hit or strip instead of wrapping up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There really isn't anything to add to what Cover said. Spot on regarding everything from Grier's play, to tackling to playcalling and not calling a timeout to get a review of that fumble (could have been a huge momentum swing and changed the whole game).

Overall I am not as confident as many others on this board about this team. I re-watched the game and Grier really didn't look good for most of it.

I will also add that I think Taylor played great in this game. He was consistently avoiding guys behind the line to make 3 or 4 yards and while that seems minimal it was huge because getting positive out of negative is a big deal.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n287473 said:

Ok. Nevermind.

C2 -

I guess I was pretty focused on the tackling and QB play rather than the overall play (though there are a couple of comments within the thread regarding special teams, etc.). You are correct that poor tackling has been evident earlier this season. IMO it was worse this game than against UK and that is not a trend that can continue if we are to maximize what the schedule and our roster will allow over the remainder of this season. As for the "why," I can only speculate without having seen the kids practice this year or prior, but I can tell you that I did observe some shoddy tackling techniques. One play was a sweep that UT ran to their right and our defender, who should have been scraping from inside to out with shoulders square to the LOS was running shoulders perpendicular. When their back stuck his foot in the ground, he ran underneath our defender, who could only reach back with an arm tackle attempt. Another was Morrison waiting on the lead blocker flat-footed and getting blocked instead of meeting him with his outside pad, which would have either allowed him to be in the hole the back was aiming toward or cause him to bounce into the support. There are many cases of our guys not being in a "football" position at the moment the tackle is to be made; too upright, not enough bend in the knees or forward lean. Several times our pursuit angles were too shallow. We used our hands more than our arms for wrapping up. Just poor fundamentals that should not be at this level, even from our young ones.

I can't say for absolute certain, but this type of thing is usually tied to a lack of repetition during the "heavy" practice days (spring and camp). Of course, this side of the game has been slowed somewhat with the rules changes and depending on the program's the kids come from in high school, they may rely more on speed and strength than proper tackling technique, which makes it tough to get them up to speed at this level. Again, just speculation. The bigger deal will be if we see this trend turning in the games ahead. With the prep each game requires and the limited time the coaches can spend with players, there may not be a significant improvement, but we can only hope.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm still enjoying this one. What a great Monday!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was it just me or did it look like we were making an incredible amount of attempts at stripping the ball. It looked like we were trying to tackle the ball instead of the ball carrier at times.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n287503 said:
Was it just me or did it look like we were making an incredible amount of attempts at stripping the ball. It looked like we were trying to tackle the ball instead of the ball carrier at times.

Yup. That was definitely the cause of some of those missed tackles.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The tackling has been an issue for years. Last time we had good technique was when Quinn was here. This consistent trying to strip the ball or just throwing the body in front isn't going to work. We need to fix this and fast.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n287615 said:
The tackling has been an issue for years. Last time we had good technique was when Quinn was here. This consistent trying to strip the ball or just throwing the body in front isn't going to work. We need to fix this and fast.
Don't worry. This guy is passing the swag chalice.

Florida%20Gators%20florida%20football%20third%20spring%20practice%20march%2020%202015%20Florida%20Gators%20defensive%20coordinator%20Geoff%20Collins%20spit%20hat%20backwards-L.jpg

After playing three cupcakes, our pass defense is nearly in the top 50, nearly and total defense is #36!!!! PSYCHO DEFENSE man is doing work.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n288095 said:

Florida%20Gators%20florida%20football%20third%20spring%20practice%20march%2020%202015%20Florida%20Gators%20defensive%20coordinator%20Geoff%20Collins%20spit%20hat%20backwards-L.jpg

After playing three cupcakes, our pass defense is nearly in the top 50, nearly and total defense is #36!!!! PSYCHO DEFENSE man is doing work.

I told you I didn't like that sideways hat crap.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
cover2;286268 said:
I'm going to apologize for a few things before getting started: First to L-boy, as some of this could probably fit in your post-game thread; second to the GC members nice enough to read for a somewhat negative title ( but dammit there were a lot of negatives today!); and third to the women and children and any other hyper-sensitive Gator "fans" for any profanity, offensive non-PC opinions, and my version of football truth.

Now that I've got that out of the way I'll start by saying we probably had no business winning that game based on the way we played for all but the chronological duration of the final TD drive, and I'm including in the sh!tty play on the final defensive series. The defense made a few big plays, but were atrocious for the greater part of the game, primarily because they likely missed twice or three times as many tackles as they actually made! Gator Mac (and others) addressed this in L-boy's thread, so others have noticed. We've seen this prior to this afternoon, but today was the pinnacle. I said last week that if we play like this against LSU, Fournette will clinch the Heisman against us. I'm going to add that he'll also probably severely injure several of our defenders. Collins will get the blame for this unit and how they played, and rightfully so, but part goes to the players themselves. This grabbing BS, half-@ss pursuit angles, false steps by LBs/Safeties, playing high as a camel c0ck, and generally waiting for somebody else to make a play much of the time is not Gator defense and I can only hope and pray that this is straightened out, and soon. But who am I kidding? The way the rules have been adjusted, this type of horse manure happens more now than it ever did and will likely continue. What has my beloved defensive football become?

Offensively, it starts with Grier, who went from sugar to sh!t and back to sugar (thank goodness). He's going to have to be more consistent, more patient, and be able to slow the passing game down enough so that he can accurately read pre-snap what the coverages (and blitzes) will be and quickly process where the ball must go. On the positive side, our final drive might be one we remember for a long time and two plays showed us where he is and where I think he is heading. The TD toss to Powell was both timely and a great throw, especially considering that he released the ball close enough to his out cut that the defender couldn't make a play on it and only a few plays before we ran essentially the same play and held the ball until Powell was well into his cut and the defender was able to make an easy break up. Kudos are deserved for Calloway (our Go-To guy?), McGee, Powell, and Taylor. None, however, for Nussmeier. A lot of predictable and pedestrian calls, but perhaps that belies the cumulative inexperience of our offensive personnel and the heretofore unwillingness of some of the skills to step up? Also, the 4th down efficiency was phenomenal!

Mac might not have had his best day, either. Easy to second-guess some of his decisions, though he followed the cook book on the final FG attempt and it is easy armchair that one at 00:00. Might should have challenged the "fumble" by the UT back on the bench route that was ruled an incompletion. Truthfully, this might be an indicator of just what a huge job he has putting this team back together and growing them into a championship caliber team.

Alright, I've vented and as I reflect I'm not unhappy by any means that we won. As bad as it looked for most of the game, it was a win we needed (if not HOW we needed it to happen). Myself and the rest of us should, I suppose, remember that this team was predicted by many to only win seven games by the pundits and amateurs alike. Well, we haven't won seven yet, but we're over half way there and snatched victory from the jaws of a heated rival, thereby extending our streak over them to eleven and sending Butch Jones (who incidentally reminds me of McCauly Culkin's older brother in Home Alone) back to the drawing board (and the liquor store) yet again. I'll be looking for improvement in all phases the next time we tee it up. That would be a great indicator of how the team is actually maturing and the job the staff is doing. Go Gators!

"Don't call it a Comeback
I've been here for years
I'm rockin' my peers
Puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go Boom
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the competition I'm towerin'..."

LL Cool J, arguably describing where we were and where we are trying to get back to!

Agree with everything you said, with one exception. "..it was a win we needed (if not HOW we needed it to happen)."

I'm of the belief that working through that kind of adversity will be more beneficial to this particular Gators team than it would have been to win by 50.

Heated rival. At home. Packed house. Two players suspended. Defense getting gashed. Officials doing what seems like literally everything in their power to aid a UT victory. RS sophomore quarterback getting his first start against arguably the best defense he's faced. Getting down by double digits two different times in the game. Having to convert several first downs just to have a prayer. Defense making the plays they absolutely had to have. Grier and Calloway etching their names into Gator history with one play. Wide right, twice.

Iron sharpens iron.

I truly believe that.

Go Gators.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SGG;n288238 said:
RS sophomore quarterback getting his first start ...
He's still a freshman, brah.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n288095 said:

Really questioning that hire...bend/don't break defenses are maddening to watch and rarely become dominant defenses. Maybe Strong will be available again soon...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n288256 said:
Really questioning that hire...bend/don't break defenses are maddening to watch and rarely become dominant defenses. Maybe Strong will be available again soon...

Really can't say our schemes have been bad...just the execution. Missed tackles, over pursuit, taking poor angles, etc..

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n288257 said:
Really can't say our schemes have been bad...just the execution. Missed tackles, over pursuit, taking poor angles, etc..
We'll see now that the easiest part of our schedule is over...

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Law98gator;n288243 said:
He's still a freshman, brah.

:facepalm: Yeah.....I know that. No clue why I said soph. Was still working on cup full of coffee number 2 this when I typed that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.