The Current State of Gator Sports

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Love the positivity. Thanks for posting this.

Sorry to say though brother.......We hear this same BS EVERY Spring.

I for one, am not buying it anymore until I see some progress on the field, which might be pretty hard because I'm not sure I want to continue to torture myself through another football season.
Yes, we hear it every spring and I’ve posted that many times, too.

But that’s spring. Every year every program is pushing the same direction, trying to build chemistry, get more/better out of the players and coaches they have, etc. We can’t know until the fall if it is true this time.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes, we hear it every spring and I’ve posted that many times, too.

But that’s spring. Every year every program is pushing the same direction, trying to build chemistry, get more/better out of the players and coaches they have, etc. We can’t know until the fall if it is true this time.
Roll Go GIF by Carter Chevrolet

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Basketball has the right coach.

This is the make or break year for Napier.

Sully has been here for about a decade. He’s always going to recruit talent but do boneheaded things. He’s like the Les Miles of our baseball team.

I think I used to be in the same boat as you all, but I’m not anymore. Historically, looking at it, we caught lightning in a bottle for about four or five years with Meyer. And we had a spectacular run with Spurrier. For about a decade. But other than that, when have we ever had a dominant football program? I think that’s an honest question.

We’ve actually had more down years since Meyer then we’ve had good years under Spurrier and Meyer combined.

I think Golden is a really good coach. I do not expect championships out of him, but I do think we will consistently be competing for the SEC and we will consistently be in the NCAA Tournament. But other than Billy Donovan, when has Florida basketball been great? We had that little run under Kruger, but nothing else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Only an idiotic Athletic Department could sit at the flagship of one of the three most talent rich states in the country and continually hire failure after failure as coaches and keep the program in the cellar.

You have to try to suck this bad.

Talking about "before the 80s" when we used to have less population and talent in the state than Mississippi is irrelevant and ignorant.

But yeah if we keep hiring people who have losing records at Cowbell, guys who lose at Cenfral Mich and a ****ing simpleton who has failed rapidly and completely at every P5 coordinator job to be HC, we will continue to suck.

Some of you are trying to rationalize because you've allowed yourself to ignore all reality with these garbage hires, and substitute a defense mechanism that "well no one can win them" if Retard Billy cant. These coaches came in and did exactly what anyone with a slight bit of awareness of reality knew they would do. None of this was a surprise. If you hire deeply flawed coaches you get deeply flawed products.

However the AD absolutely wants you to believe that you should shut up, keep sending money and be be happy if we occasionally achieve 6-6.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the NFL you have a team president and a GM. We all know the division of labor.

In college, the AD is asked to serve as both. Sometimes, he's a jack of all trades. Sometimes he's a jackoff. In 2016, we hired a jackass.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Only an idiotic Athletic Department could sit at the flagship of one of the three most talent rich states in the country and continually hire failure after failure as coaches and keep the program in the cellar.

Talking about "before the 80s" when we used to have less population and talent in the state than Mississippi is irrelevant and ignorant.

But yeah if we keep hiring people who have losing records at Cowbell, guys who lose at Cenfral Mich and a ****ing simpleton who has failed rapidly and completely at every P5 coordinator job to be HC, we will continue to suck.

Some of you are trying to rationalize because you've allowed yourself to ignore all reality with these garbage hires, and substitute a defense mechanism that "well no one can win them" if Retard Billy cant. These coaches came in and did exactly what anyone with a slight bit of awareness of reality knew they would do. None of this was a surprise. If you hire deeply flawed coaches you get deeply flawed products.

However the AD absolutely wants you to believe that you should shut up, keep sending money and be be happy if we occasionally achieve 6-6.
People wonder how I can stay so positive. This is what helps me… we’re on the Raimbow Road

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Basketball has the right coach.

This is the make or break year for Napier.

Sully has been here for about a decade. He’s always going to recruit talent but do boneheaded things. He’s like the Les Miles of our baseball team.

I think I used to be in the same boat as you all, but I’m not anymore. Historically, looking at it, we caught lightning in a bottle for about four or five years with Meyer. And we had a spectacular run with Spurrier. For about a decade. But other than that, when have we ever had a dominant football program? I think that’s an honest question.

We’ve actually had more down years since Meyer then we’ve had good years under Spurrier and Meyer combined.

I think Golden is a really good coach. I do not expect championships out of him, but I do think we will consistently be competing for the SEC and we will consistently be in the NCAA Tournament. But other than Billy Donovan, when has Florida basketball been great? We had that little run under Kruger, but nothing else.

I hate that argument though. Apple is a great company and has transitioned perfectly at an executive level. But that same company, had they hired a series of clowns, wouldn’t be what it is today. Not because the fundamentals of the product have changed, but strictly because of the leadership that has been selected. I do think the state of Florida has taken a step back in terms of its “material” and is being passed by the state just north of us due to HS coaching and development, but there’s still zero excuse for not being a seriously competitive program annually given the resources. It’s why teams like Tennessee talk about “rebuilding” taking years to accomplish, while FL teams, all three, are never more than a year or two away from being relevant if they land the right coach. It’s leadership and nothing more. If we keep hiring on-the-job-trainees, bozos and morons, we will keep having issues. But it has nothing to do with what UF has traditionally been or some type of built-in disability.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with you. But I guess what I’m saying is that other than hiring those coaches who took us to these heights, when has our athletic department ever hired anybody worth a crap at any of our major sports?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember when we got really excited about gator football and basketball. I was 10. We had Spurrier finally getting us to TWO New Years day bowls. We had Neal Walk in basketball and had an amazing record 21-4 in 66.. But you had to win the SEC title to make the dance. We just missed it. Back then and for many years we celebrated great players and plays and wins over rivals. It was fun but also frustrating. Georgia was our football nemesis along with UK in basketball. My memories are of great players and great wins. But the hardware escaped us each year so it was "wait till next year" But then SOS reversed all that futility and we were top of the southern mountain of football. Our chests puffed out and talk radio was full of SEC fans wanting the UF offense like we had. Then beyond anyone's dreams we had Billy and Urban dominating the collegiate sports world almost at the same time. I not saying spoiled but it was gdmmm amazing and joyous. Heismans, 04s crushing OSU. Nothing ever could top that. Now it seems like everything has conspired to kill our spirit. Politics, disease, inflation, world chaos, migrants, sports, aging, social media with negativity , just the damn news each nite,,tribalism. But here its just our program being irrelevant after the wonder years not so long ago it seems. I think my age and health and so many changes has dampened my enthusiasm for all things gator. It had brought me so much enjoyment since I was 10 yrs old but I hardly recognize it now. Players come and go so fast I have learn so many players each year. I have so much gator stuff from years past. It helps me remember those great times. Young fans are now hearing us about the great history. And it does not help that UGA has excelled. go gators..............

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hate that argument though. Apple is a great company and has transitioned perfectly at an executive level. But that same company, had they hired a series of clowns, wouldn’t be what it is today. Not because the fundamentals of the product have changed, but strictly because of the leadership that has been selected. I do think the state of Florida has taken a step back in terms of its “material” and is being passed by the state just north of us due to HS coaching and development, but there’s still zero excuse for not being a seriously competitive program annually given the resources. It’s why teams like Tennessee talk about “rebuilding” taking years to accomplish, while FL teams, all three, are never more than a year or two away from being relevant if they land the right coach. It’s leadership and nothing more. If we keep hiring on-the-job-trainees, bozos and morons, we will keep having issues. But it has nothing to do with what UF has traditionally been or some type of built-in disability.
I hate the argument, too. But it kind of is what it is. Until the University of Florida decides to operate like a big-time university that cares about its major sports, we are going to continue swimming around in the cesspool of mediocrity.

LSU goes out and gets Brian Kelly. Alabama goes out and gets the Washington coach. And Saban before that. Auburn goes out and gets Freeze.

We get mid tier coaches.

And not to take anything away from Golden, who I think is a pretty damn good coach. He comes from the Bruce Pearl tree. Similar to Billy Donovan breaking off the Pitino tree. Not that I am comparing Billy Donovan to Golden. But if you actually look at the basketball coaches that the SEC has brought in, most of the teams were swinging for the fences with their hires. They may not all have worked out. But they were swinging. We are constantly hitting dingers and hoping for in the park home runs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I hate the argument, too. But it kind of is what it is. Until the University of Florida decides to operate like a big-time university that cares about its major sports, we are going to continue swimming around in the cesspool of mediocrity.

LSU goes out and gets Brian Kelly. Alabama goes out and gets the Washington coach. And Saban before that. Auburn goes out and gets Freeze.

We get mid tier coaches.

And not to take anything away from Golden, who I think is a pretty damn good coach. He comes from the Bruce Pearl tree. Similar to Billy Donovan breaking off the Pitino tree. Not that I am comparing Billy Donovan to Golden. But if you actually look at the basketball coaches that the SEC has brought in, most of the teams were swinging for the fences with their hires. They may not all have worked out. But they were swinging. We are constantly hitting dingers and hoping for in the park home runs.

But we’re paying at that level. Certainly close enough to be in the ballpark. So it’s not as if we’re going dumpster diving for coaches. We throw big numbers initially at them, extend them at the first chance we have, and then pay them a massive buyout. That’s not refusing to be big time or even being cheap. That being grossly, almost criminally incompetent.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of 3D printing, my current project is coming along well after 2.5 months.

IMG-2796.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.