The Dominant 20: Best teams of last 20 years

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. forgot about 2001 Miami..but they were in the Big East back then and I don't think it was very good. That's kinda a knock, if you ask me.

They moved to the ACC and won the Coastal for the first time but still haven't won an ACC Title in football, and the ACC isn't exactly vintage SEC. So there's that.

Yep our schedule was harder but they pounded some decent teams. It would have been close probably and I guess the loss distorts comparing them some.

I just remember that Miami defense was so dominant against the pass that if you even tried to open it up they would get interceptions like crazy and on offense defenses had a hard time stopping Portis so it made the passing game pretty easy on Dorsey when he had to pass. I think Dorsey could do his taxes with that O line also when he went back to pass.

Our offense was better than theirs I would say but that defense was one of the best ones of recent memory when you count all those picks etc. But our defense had great numbers also. I guess without the loss that 08 team would be right there in any argument over the last 20 years.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Saw that..a lot of people think you have to go "undefeated to be the best,", but with advanced metrics and the "eye and statistics test," people are more going away from that.

I'm a Dolphins fan, but most would say the 1985 Bears, who went 15-1 in the regular season (only loss to Dan Marino and the Dolphins), and not the only undefeated team in NFL History (1972 Dolphins) and dominated the Post Season and Super Bowl, are the best team in at least the Super Bowl Era.

So I'm in agreement with their analysis, and not just because I'm a Gators fan.

If memory serves correctly, our strength of schedule for all three MNCs was:

1996 - #1
2006 - #1
2008 - #15

I’ve heard most national title teams’ SOS was in the 50s, but I’m too lazy to look up the stats. If true, I agree the “undefeated” argument is a hollow one.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have to say our 2008 team but a small part of me wonders how those teams would have held up against 01 Miami and 95 Nebraska. UM and Nebraska had teams that literally could put a stranglehold on many great teams, Nebraska offensively and UM defensively.......BUT, we had what I consider to be the greatest 3rd down CFB player of all time playing for us and a pretty good cast of players all around him so there is that....

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What also gets lost is that, after “the speech” that team won 22 straight games, 12 more AFTER the NC game, by an average margin of 32 pts, including the “down year” starting 12-0 in 2009. An argument could be made that it was the most dominant team ever, not just in the last 20 years.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So of course I have a natural affinity for that gator squad BUT it took them about half the season to really start clicking.
I’m fairly certain the 06 BB team started out something like 17-0. I’ll check now to see if I can find it.
Edit: Yep, started 17-0. So I’m not :bandit:
They then proceeded to lose 6 of the next 11, then won out for the NC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have to say our 2008 team but a small part of me wonders how those teams would have held up against 01 Miami and 95 Nebraska.
95 Nebraska wasnt that great. Zook's (and Bobby Pruitt's) defense was just that bad. Turns out you cant have the strong safety cover the keek and toss... or something like that. I forget what they did but Nebraska figured out we werent sound against some formations.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
95 Nebraska wasnt that great. Zook's (and Bobby Pruitt's) defense was just that bad. Turns out you cant have the strong safety cover the keek and toss... or something like that. I forget what they did but Nebraska figured out we werent sound against some formations.
I get what you're saying and we killed ourselves there. However there are certain players that have that "won't be denied" air about them.....We had perhaps the best in TT even though it wasn't always pretty with him barreling ahead on 3rd and 4 and getting 4.5......I know I'll catch hell for this but Frazier and Charlie Ward struck more fear in my heart as a Gator fan playing them than any other players I can remember besides maybe Hershel....they just seemed to **** us no matter what.....

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We were up 10-6 after two or three possessions and I remember thinking they can't stop our passing game. Sheez, was I wrong.

Nebraska stuffed the run and dared Wuerffel to beat them through the air, something no other team had the balls to do. Then they bullrushed, they blitzed and they made a living in our backfield. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated over a UF effort. By the fourth quarter, you could sense quit in our guys.

Calling them "not that great" is like calling Obama not that liberal. They were a flipping juggernaut that evening.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I get what you're saying and we killed ourselves there. However there are certain players that have that "won't be denied" air about them.....We had perhaps the best in TT even though it wasn't always pretty with him barreling ahead on 3rd and 4 and getting 4.5......I know I'll catch hell for this but Frazier and Charlie Ward struck more fear in my heart as a Gator fan playing them than any other players I can remember besides maybe Hershel....they just seemed to **** us no matter what.....

They didn't call the block in the back on Dunn's run

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We were up 10-6 after two or three possessions and I remember thinking they can't stop our passing game. Sheez, was I wrong.

Nebraska stuffed the run and dared Wuerffel to beat them through the air, something no other team had the balls to do. Then they bullrushed, they blitzed and they made a living in our backfield. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated over a UF effort. By the fourth quarter, you could sense quit in our guys.

Calling them "not that great" is like calling Obama not that liberal. They were a flipping juggernaut that evening.

I was there, it was freakin cold way up in the nose bleed section - we drove back to Vegas that night. We were :sadnanner:s, heading to Vegas. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They werent that good, and they played NO ONE. And Zook was that terrible.

They adjusted and picked on our injured OL, sucessfully, to their credit, and SOS was still stubbornly refusing to ise the shotgun.

Well it was still the Big 8 back then, but I’m sure you already knew that.
No, it was the Big Eight the year before. First year of the Big 12.

And they played NO ONE.

08 Florida would beat 95 Nebraska in a laugher.

01 Miami was a scary talented team. That and some of the Bammer teams would be my biggest fear.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m fairly certain the 06 BB team started out something like 17-0. I’ll check now to see if I can find it.
Edit: Yep, started 17-0. So I’m not :bandit:
They then proceeded to lose 6 of the next 11, then won out for the NC.

They won some really big games at some of the tournaments at the beginning of the season which gave us a Glimpse into what they could be. What I meant by really clicking was they began to understand how dominant they really could be. Green was really a sreadying force for them early.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I was there, it was freakin cold way up in the nose bleed section - we drove back to Vegas that night. We were :sadnanner:s, heading to Vegas. :lol:
Yeah, I was there too. We were so looking forward to the victory and partying all night. :swampqueen:

We drank a six pack in our room. :sadnanner:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I still hate Tempe and Scottsdale, though I think Suckeyes were worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator