7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trex how old were you in 1995?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Just on the eyeball test I think 2001 Miami was probably the most dominant college team of the last 20 years as an overall team anyway. That defense was very dominating when it needed to be. They didn't play the final games schedule our 2008 team did but they were a really good team.

Yeah. forgot about 2001 Miami..but they were in the Big East back then and I don't think it was very good. That's kinda a knock, if you ask me.

They moved to the ACC and won the Coastal for the first time but still haven't won an ACC Title in football, and the ACC isn't exactly vintage SEC. So there's that.

quality of opponent is obviously a factor in this. That '01 team was loaded for the canes. how many of those guys ended up on NFL rosters with decent careers.

Heck, the 2001 Miami team wouldn’t have beaten our 2001 team, much less our 1996 and 2008 teams. I’m still pissed we didn’t get to play them in 01 for the NC. We would have won that game by double digits.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Heck, the 2001 Miami team wouldn’t have beaten our 2001 team...
2001 Gators... that was a great team but it just had "something" missing. No clue what. Just "it".

I dont think Hoke's Jokes stopped Tinerc once and I know they didnt stop them in the first half.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
2001 Gators... that was a great team but it just had "something" missing. No clue what. Just "it".

I dont think Hoke's Jokes stopped Tinerc once and I know they didnt stop them in the first half.

What we were missing that year was Earnest Graham in our only 2 losses. You’re right about not stopping TN but a healthy Graham gets us a win in that game (the Auburn game, too). Being overconfident in the loss to TN didn’t help matters either. 2001 was a scary team, probably rivaling 96 as Spurrier’s best.

Side note...I’ve always believed SOS knew before the 2001 season that it would be his last. I really feel he felt those guys would run the table and win the NC, sending him out on top. Just a hunch I’ve always had which will most likely never be confirmed. Alas, we came up a little short.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, I’m not sure that 2001 team was a championship team. Your description is pretty accurate. I’d almost take our ‘91, ‘93 and/or ‘95 teams over 2001. One of the most frustrating seasons I can recall.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. We started out well in that game. 2 and 3 step drops with quick passes worked very well in the 1st quarter but then SOS started having Danny take 5 step drops trying to throw the ball deeper and our OL couldn’t keep Nebraska’s defense at bay long enough for Danny to get the ball out. Had we kept throwing quick passes and gotten better effort and performance from our D it’s a completely different ball game. Once Neb. got the lead things snowballed out of control. We could have legitimately won that game no doubt.

We were blocking 6 rushers with 5 OL and SOS was too stubborn to change. It took that FSU loss in 96 to bring in the shotgun finally.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
We were blocking 6 rushers with 5 OL and SOS was too stubborn to change. It took that FSU loss in 96 to bring in the shotgun finally.

That’s why the quick pass worked so well. They didn’t have enough guys on D to stop it. Picking up 8 yards at a clip was working well. Dropping back 5 steps when you’re short a blocker is a recipe for disaster. And that’s exactly what happened.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
No love for the 06 team? Absolutely destroyed a "superior" tOSU team in the MNC game. Senior QB leadership, same "best for 3rd down" runner and DE's that were faster than the other guys "fast" QB...... Hell just a badassed D all around.

Black Dahlia

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2017
Calling 1995 Nebraska "not that good" is utterly ridiculous. They were legitimately great, and regarded as the best college football team ever by many people who know a lot more about football than me. Heck, they won all their games by an average margin of around 40 points.

I remember that NC game all too well because it was a literal nightmare I awoke to. I worked in retail and hence had to put in a lot of post-holiday hours, so I worked a shift, then packed up my apartment and moved it across town, then worked another shift. I got home to my new place with two hours to kickoff, but absolutely had to get some sleep. I set the alarm clock for a two-hour nap but slept for three. I sprang out of bed in a heart-attack-inducing fashion and promptly caught my little toe on the carpet and *SNAP* broke it. Soon after I limped in severe pain to the TV and turned it on to the rout in progress.

To this day my right foot aches whenever the Gators get beat badly.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
OMG how did I miss all this. I need about 30 minutes to enjoy all of this historical revisionisms...........its like watching Civil War buffs going at it from opposite sides of the MD line,..................At least I have something to look forward to when I get home from work...............stay with it boys.............this is phkn gold

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cricket? Really?
They also put the Los Angeles Spanx and the Phoenix Menses of the WNBA on the list. Can't believe they missed the Pickleball team from Century Village that dominated the National Senior games back in 2006.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember that NC game all too well because it was a literal nightmare I awoke to. I worked in retail and hence had to put in a lot of post-holiday hours, so I worked a shift, then packed up my apartment and moved it across town, then worked another shift. I got home to my new place with two hours to kickoff, but absolutely had to get some sleep. I set the alarm clock for a two-hour nap but slept for three. I sprang out of bed in a heart-attack-inducing fashion and promptly caught my little toe on the carpet and *SNAP* broke it. Soon after I limped in severe pain to the TV and turned it on to the rout in progress.
HOF.............dont be a stranger BD..................

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law must’ve been drinking heavily yesterday. That’s some revisionist history. Nebraska was a GREAT team. That team was a fvkin’ machine.

Watching that game made me want to vomit. We had no chance.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law must’ve been drinking heavily yesterday. That’s some revisionist history. Nebraska was a GREAT team. That team was a fvkin’ machine.

Watching that game made me want to vomit. We had no chance.
One of the best college teams I’ve ever seen. Law just hates that type of offense, so he gives them no respect.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Heck, the 2001 Miami team wouldn’t have beaten our 2001 team, much less our 1996 and 2008 teams. I’m still pissed we didn’t get to play them in 01 for the NC. We would have won that game by double digits.

Just like our '01 team took care of the Tennessee team? If Hoke defense couldn't handle that Tennessee running back, want would they have done against ScUM's NFL Oline and Running Backs (if I remember right 3 deep in NFL talent).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Calling 1995 Nebraska "not that good" is utterly ridiculous. They were legitimately great, and regarded as the best college football team ever by many people who know a lot more about football than me. Heck, they won all their games by an average margin of around 40 points.

To this day my right foot aches whenever the Gators get beat badly.

That 1995 Nebraska team might have beaten every National Title winner that has come since and only a handful of those teams would actually have a shot at winning the rest would lose in a blood bath.. It was a machine. Tommie Frazier might be the best qb to play in that offense in the modern era. Their running back beat defenses like he beat women and later ran over kids in a park.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just like our '01 team took care of the Tennessee team? If Hoke defense couldn't handle that Tennessee running back, want would they have done against ScUM's NFL Oline and Running Backs (if I remember right 3 deep in NFL talent).
I would have to agree with this. It bothers me to say it but I don't know if there ever will be a CFB team as talented as that 01 UM team...And yes they would have beaten our 01 team by 2 or 3 TD's had we taken care of Tennessee.....Again I hate to admit it but that team was stacked and well coached....I do however think our 08 team would have matched up much better and either given them a hell of a game or possibly even beaten them. Our 08 team and their 01 team are the 2 best teams I've seen in almost 50 years of watching CFB and 95 Nebraska was the only other team that is close to those 2 IMO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing is more imposing than a team that tells you in advance it's gonna run the ball down your throat and then proceeds to do just that.

The '95 Nebraska team was as physically dominant, relatively speaking, as any I've seen in my 50 or so years as a college football fan. I don't know what they were feeding those boys, but they were bigger, stronger and faster than anything we'd seen all season. By far.

Grant Wistrom and Lawrence Phillips in particular stood out. Each was unstoppable. I can still visualize that hot dog Wistrom doing the windmill fist pump after a Danny sack. Hated the guy.

I swore afterward I never wanted to see those guys again, which for me amounted to a major disconnect. We had our own juggernaut going that season. I didn't think anyone could do to us what Nebraska did.

In fairness to Law, it was not a good night for our coaches. Empty backfield sets, lining up Danny behind center, the various oversights on defense. We got thoroughly exposed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They also put the Los Angeles Spanx and the Phoenix Menses of the WNBA on the list. Can't believe they missed the Pickleball team from Century Village that dominated the National Senior games back in 2006.

Did you see their strength of schedule that year? Plus Century's star player Tannenbaum had no business even playing after he'd been recently caught blatantly jumping into the pool without showering first. Add that to the rumors that most of their team was juicing(nobody eats entire bags of carrots and kale in a week), and suddenly it's not so impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator