The National Signing Day Thread

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
So this young man chooses to go to a school with zero hope of any kind of title....not division, not conference, certainly not national. Plus, they are recently sentenced to some probation limitations. All that would certainly seem to point to a mindset that is only about showcasing his skills and getting to the NFL. If that's the case he really would be better off in a system where he can throw it 40 times a game.

You could certainly question what is going on behind the scenes related to what appears to be a lack of interest from other big time schools. And as others have mentioned his enthusiastic commitment to one of the worst offenses in recent college football history.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking he was commenting on the "move on" aspect and how his thread will seemingly outlast the orbit of our moon.
I give it to New Year's Day before anyone has trouble remembering who Matt Corral is.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On the surface this looks bad, but like others have said, there seems to be more going on behind the scenes. I'm going to wait and see how this all plays before I make any judgments on if Mullen screwed the pooch or not. Besides, he was never a good fit for Mullen's offense anyways, and I highly doubt Mullen would make major adjustments to his offense to accommodate him. One game 11 years ago against Ohio St. doesn't change my opinion on that. I still remember very well what the 2005 and most of the 2006 offense was like.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not seriously, no. Do you think he would have committed to Ole Miss if Bama wanted him?
Yes... he wants the easiest path to starting and bama is a 3 year wait minimum plies all the other 4-5* qb they will sign after him. There's a reason he committed to UF so quickly despite never having visited or really being recruited hard prior to camp.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I'm hanging on to the feeling that Fields wants to come here but wasn't confident in Mac and his system. He made it a priority to leave FSU early to be at Florida's Friday night lights. Now with Corral leaving this class, there is no certain future at the QB spot. Fields would start day one and be the most exciting thing here since Tebow. If he goes to Georgia, he'll be riding the bench for 2-3 years. Florida has to be intriguing to him.
He picked Georgia as the safest bet. Their offense is boring, run heavy pro. Their OC was notorious for being boring before being hired, there's about a zero percent chance he can recreate himself to really use Fields skill sets to their full potential. Now, Fromm is doing great, high percentage throws, low mistake threshold for that offense, but I'd just be hard pressed to think he's super excited to be in that offense. He could be the next Tebow/Newton type qb. Maybe he's locked in but I'd be hard pressed to think he's not at least thinking about it.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
TJ McCoy tweeted at Fields last night with an image that’s been deleted. But basically shows the team no longer has confidence in Franks to get the job done.
It was a video saying come to UF, we need you. That can’t go over well with QB’s on the roster

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The first guy I worked for 30 years ago told me one time "I can't believe I have a job whose success relies quite a bit on the decisions of teenage males!" It still hasn't changed. As far as Corral is concerned, there's a lot to like about his skill set, regardless of what the overarching focus of our offensive system is. But the fact that he doesn't seem to have a ton of big schools courting him reminds me of a girl in high school that was drop-dead gorgeous, but none of the guys asked her out or had anything to do with her. A few years after graduation, she had already been married and divorced a couple of times and had wrecked her husbands both financially and emotionally. I can't say for sure if the kid is in this mold, but I think there's smoke coming out of the window for a reason.

For what lies ahead, we'll still get a QB or two and who knows, one (or more) may be what the offense needs to be successful? Not that this is necessarily going to happen, but two of our better QB's, Kerwin Bell and Shane Matthews, were initially unheralded and/or buried in the depth chart and went on to become pretty decent. Matthews in particular had a pretty QB coach to teach him the offense and develop the execution part. Not saying Mullen is as great as SOS by any means, but quite frankly I have more confidence that he'll do a good job of coaching up whoever he gets even if they have less stars than Corral. At this stage in the game, I'm more concerned at how good the defense becomes. The better this side of the ball is it will allow the O to develop and still provide us the opportunity to win.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Quote from Corral (via 247Sports). He wants the biggest stage as soon as he can get it. Unfortunately he won't see bowl games at least until his 2nd year and the roster will hurt due to scholly restrictions.

“A lot played into this. Coach Matt Luke is a family-oriented guy,” said Corral exclusively to 247Sports. “I figured I wouldn’t miss a beat if I went there from California. It’s like home. The offense they run, it may not be what I’ve said in the past, but talking to people I trust and those I believe in, I know this won’t be a bad decision for me. That offense will help me show off my talents on the biggest stage. Plus, and to top it all off, this is the SEC West.”

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
The first guy I worked for 30 years ago told me one time "I can't believe I have a job whose success relies quite a bit on the decisions of teenage males!" It still hasn't changed. As far as Corral is concerned, there's a lot to like about his skill set, regardless of what the overarching focus of our offensive system is. But the fact that he doesn't seem to have a ton of big schools courting him reminds me of a girl in high school that was drop-dead gorgeous, but none of the guys asked her out or had anything to do with her. A few years after graduation, she had already been married and divorced a couple of times and had wrecked her husbands both financially and emotionally. I can't say for sure if the kid is in this mold, but I think there's smoke coming out of the window for a reason.

For what lies ahead, we'll still get a QB or two and who knows, one (or more) may be what the offense needs to be successful? Not that this is necessarily going to happen, but two of our better QB's, Kerwin Bell and Shane Matthews, were initially unheralded and/or buried in the depth chart and went on to become pretty decent. Matthews in particular had a pretty QB coach to teach him the offense and develop the execution part. Not saying Mullen is as great as SOS by any means, but quite frankly I have more confidence that he'll do a good job of coaching up whoever he gets even if they have less stars than Corral. At this stage in the game, I'm more concerned at how good the defense becomes. The better this side of the ball is it will allow the O to develop and still provide us the opportunity to win.
Wow! The sunshine pumping is strong in this one!!!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow! The sunshine pumping is strong in this one!!!
Call it what you want, I'm just not going into therapy because this kid from California is suddenly going to Oxford and not coming to Gainesville.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
“A lot played into this. Coach Matt Luke is a family-oriented guy,” said Corral exclusively to 247Sports. “I figured I wouldn’t miss a beat if I went there from California. It’s like home. The offense they run, it may not be what I’ve said in the past, but talking to people I trust and those I believe in, I know this won’t be a bad decision for me. That offense will help me show off my talents on the biggest stage. Plus, and to top it all off, this is the SEC West.”

We need a quarterback who is an unselfish team player. A guy only interested in showing off his talents is probably not the answer. WDWHA.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Quote from Corral (via 247Sports). He wants the biggest stage as soon as he can get it. Unfortunately he won't see bowl games at least until his 2nd year and the roster will hurt due to scholly restrictions.

On the biggest stage? My dude, THEYRE ON PROBATION :lmao2:

They probably won’t even have nationally televised games :lmao2:

Their team is being gutted because the kids who have been there no longer trust the school and can’t stand to be there :lmao2:

Have fun Matty. We clearly didn’t want you anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.