Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Quarterbacks aren't the issue. It's the head coaches.

So J or Dunder, if it wasn't Muschamp or Mac, exactly what was it to cause our woefulness at the position?

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
Are we going to get any updates from this weekend and Jones' visit before signing day? Anybody know how things are progressing?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So J or Dunder, if it wasn't Muschamp or Mac, exactly what was it to cause our woefulness at the position?

It was definitely the coaches. Who recruited poor QBs and didn’t have the numbers - BUT you’re making it sound like QB wasn’t the main position issue on the team. Which I think it was and still is.

Unless you’re saying that it’s not the fault of the QBs - it’s the fault of the coaching staffs. But you weren’t clear.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was definitely the coaches. Who recruited poor QBs and didn’t have the numbers - BUT you’re making it sound like QB wasn’t the main position issue on the team. Which I think it was and still is.

Unless you’re saying that it’s not the fault of the QBs - it’s the fault of the coaching staffs. But you weren’t clear.
Matter of which one is the tail, which one the dog.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Jumping in...

The HC is responsible for his hires and the recruits he signs. Our QBs and WRs have seemed largely impervious to coaching. Hard to believe all of those coaches can’t coach.

However, Driskel & Brissett have proven to be pretty good QBs. Even Tyler Murphy had some success (as a running QB.) Grier is the one that showed promise at UF before his suspension and departure.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jumping in...

The HC is responsible for his hires and the recruits he signs. Our QBs and WRs have seemed largely impervious to coaching. Hard to believe all of those coaches can’t coach.

However, Driskel & Brissett have proven to be pretty good QBs. Even Tyler Murphy had some success (as a running QB.) Grier is the one that showed promise at UF before his suspension and departure.
Our head coaches have bombed.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ll blame Will Muschamp for everything and anything that’s wrong in the world all day long and twice on sundays. I just think QB’s also to blame, starting with John Brantley being just plain awful, Grier being a total idiot and a pompous ass, and Franks, like Brantley being awful. I thought Driskel was pretty good, but injuries and him being Muschamped ended his promise the same way Grier’s idiocy ruined his.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ll blame Will Muschamp for everything and anything that’s wrong in the world all day long and twice on sundays. I just think QB’s also to blame, starting with John Brantley being just plain awful, Grier being a total idiot and a pompous ass, and Franks, like Brantley being awful. I thought Driskel was pretty good, but injuries and him being Muschamped ended his promise the same way Grier’s idiocy ruined his.
Never understood why Meyer recruited Brantley. Just as bad a fit as Corral.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Are we going to get any updates from this weekend and Jones' visit before signing day? Anybody know how things are progressing?
He was a bad fit, but he was also a bad QB. Couldn’t make it work in Cheeseburger Charlie’s offense that should have been perfect for him. And when he went to the NFL, he was cut in a matter of days, in a training camp situation where teams routinely keep QB’s around just to be “camp arms.”

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I think Brantley was recruited as a scout team QB. We had Tim and then Cam Newton waiting. Brantley was going to give our D good looks on the scout team.
Go Gators!!!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brantley was too big of a legacy. UF could't dis him.

The first guy I worked for 30 years ago told me one time "I can't believe I have a ...blah ...blah...blah ...blah
There's no way you were 45 years old before you had your first job. ;)

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
My memory is that Meyer was under tremendous pressure from Gator backers and fans to recruit this great passing QB away from his original committment. Gatorade Player of the Year??? It was like the present Corral situation writ a hundred times larger.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He was a bad fit, but he was also a bad QB. Couldn’t make it work in Cheeseburger Charlie’s offense that should have been perfect for him. And when he went to the NFL, he was cut in a matter of days, in a training camp situation where teams routinely keep QB’s around just to be “camp arms.”
You're crazy if you think Brantley was recruited as just a camp arm. Dude was highly recruited. Would have had a nice career had he gone to south Carolina or Texas imo. Weiss is awful,not sure why you think he shoulda done better under him?

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
There was definitely pressure on Meyer to flip the legacy who was committed to
Texas. Gatorade player of the year, 5 star QB who never fit. I always wonder had Newton not stolen the laptop, how the situation would’ve shaken out....what could’ve been

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
You're crazy if you think Brantley was recruited as just a camp arm. Dude was highly recruited. Would have had a nice career had he gone to south Carolina or Texas imo. Weiss is awful,not sure why you think he shoulda done better under him?
Did you even read my post? The camp arm comment was in reference to his 3 day NFL training camp career

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.