Sep 8, 2014

I'd love to get a 4-stars TE.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Amari Burney ready to recruit for Florida:

Amari Burney ready to recruit for UF’s 2018 class following commitment

https://recruiting.blogs.gatorsport...-recruit-ufs-2018-class-following-commitment/

Amari Burney had the date circled on his calendar for months.

The No. 40-ranked prospect in the 2018 class by ESPN, Burney chose June 1st to announce his commitment to honor his late grandfather, Eugene Burney, who died during during his sophomore season.

The Clearwater native committed Thursday to the Gators over Ohio State and Virginia Tech, but his decision to join coach Jim McElwain and UF’s 2018 class was far from a predetermined conclusion.

“It was Tuesday night when I came to a decision,” Burney said of his verbal commitment to Florida. “Me and my parents called Coach Mac and told him I was coming to Florida.

“He was just overjoyed. He was speechless, it sounded like he was thinking what to say but he was very, very happy.”

With no shortage of options as the No. 11 defensive back by 247Sports, Burney said he’d been wrestling with coming to a decision for “about two months”.

But when it came down to it, Burney couldn’t forget the first meeting with McElwain.

View image on Twitter
DBPlLKsVoAAbL0g.jpg:small

Follow
Amari Burney @amari_burney

10:49 AM - 1 Jun 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The Miami Hurricanes were the first program to offer the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder, but it was McElwain who was the first head coach to sit down with the Burney family.

“The first time they met coach Mac was when Florida offered me, that was the first head coach to offer and it was real respect after that,” Burney said. “So my parents loved him from the jump, and they just thought that he was going to be the best to take care of me for these next 3-4 years.”

And if McElwain’s initial impression wasn’t enough to sway the Burney’s, seeing offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier prioritize their son’s commitment was the icing on the cake.

“Everyday, he would keep in touch with me,” Burney said. “You know, every time I visited he would want to see me and want me to see coach Mac. He kept in touch with me the most, that really stood out about coach Nuss.”

While most highly recruited 2018 prospects take a full slate of visits, Burney has nothing set in stone in the near future, although he hopes to get back to Gainesville this summer.

When it comes to attending camps and universities for the remainder of his recruitment, Burney said he’ll talk it over with his family when the time comes.

“It’s up to my parents, really,” Burney said, “but I should be up there sometime soon in summer.”

And he’s still undecided on whether or not he’ll take all five – or any – of his official visits in Fall.

“My dad said don’t take them, so I really don’t know but I also got to talk about it,” Burney said. “I honestly would just so I can see different places, not to decommit or something. Just want to go up there and see.”

In the interim, however, Burney is ready to help Florida bring more top prospects into the fold.

_tiK1MMYmXuWtiYD.jpg

Follow
Bob Putnam @BobbyHomeTeam

Calvary's Amari Burney talks about his decision to commit to Florida.

10:14 AM - 1 Jun 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

“This is the time where I’ll be recruiting,” Burney said. “I was very relieved just to get (my recruitment) out of the way. Now it’s just getting ready for the season this summer, spending the offseason working hard.”

Because working hard while staying out of trouble has been Burney’s entire life, and it’s why McElwain and Nussmeier fought hard for him to become a Gator.

“Everyday I’m a hard worker, on and off the field,” Burney said. “I’ve never been in trouble in my life, never got a referral or a suspension. They’re getting someone who will work hard no matter what.”

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Typo? Rivals says 4-star.

The Miami Hurricanes were the first program to offer the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder, but it was McElwain who was the first head coach to sit down with the Burney family.

“The first time they met coach Mac was when Florida offered me, that was the first head coach to offer and it was real respect after that,” Burney said. “So my parents loved him from the jump, and they just thought that he was going to be the best to take care of me for these next 3-4 years.”

And if McElwain’s initial impression wasn’t enough to sway the Burney’s, seeing offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier prioritize their son’s commitment was the icing on the cake.

Wtf. I thought Mac and Nuss were always late to the party, chasing scraps from other program's recruiting boards. This has to be #fakerecruiting

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Typo? Rivals says 4-star.

Wtf. I thought Mac and Nuss were always late to the party, chasing scraps from other program's recruiting boards. This has to be #fakerecruiting

Always? There's always exceptions.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Funny...most recruits say Mac and crew are on top of it. They seem to really like the staff. Parents do too. Gee, I wonder if most of the stuff I read here might be made up or imagined....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Gators land JUCO safety:

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/...7-62-4E-F8-32-7D-B3170612_083601FloridaGators

On Monday morning the Florida Gators landed a commitment from Jones County JC safety Deontai Williams. He picked the Gators over interest from LSU and Alabama.

I'm officially committing to University of Florida #chompChomp

— Deontai O. Williams (@IWILLSTILLRISE) June 12, 2017

The 6-foot, 178-pounder was once committed to Will Muschamp and the Florida Gators as a 2015 prospect. However he flipped that pledge to the Georgia Bulldogs, and later the Ohio Bobcats before failing to qualify academically.

Williams only played a few games last season after dealing with an ACL injury. The Gators have done their homework on the injury and feel he is fully cleared from it. Williams was on campus at UF this past weekend, where he was able to hang out with the new coaching staff as well as watch the Gators summer camp.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another write up on the JUCO safety. Kids a big, big hitter:

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/williams-joins-the-florida-gators-class-again/

Williams joins the
Florida Gators class again

The Florida Gators started the week off on a high note as the coaching staff picked up another commitment on Monday morning.
Safety Deontai Williams (6-0, 185, Jones JUCO) committed to Florida on Monday morning after visiting the Gators over the weekend.

Williams was a former commit to Florida out of Jacksonville Trinity Christian but was unable to qualify so enrolled at Jones County JUCO last year. The safety was unable to play last year due to an ACL injury but his knee has checked out with all of the coaching staff’s.

The safety had a busy spring as he picked up offers from the likes of Alabama, LSU, Georgia among others after his knee was cleared.

Williams is the 9th commit for the class of 2018 and joins defensive backs C.J. Smith and Divaad Wilson as defensive backs committed in the class.
GatorCountry will continue to update this story with quotes from Williams throughout the day.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Another write up on the JUCO safety. Kids a big, big hitter:

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/williams-joins-the-florida-gators-class-again/

Williams joins the
Florida Gators class again

The Florida Gators started the week off on a high note as the coaching staff picked up another commitment on Monday morning.
Safety Deontai Williams (6-0, 185, Jones JUCO) committed to Florida on Monday morning after visiting the Gators over the weekend.

Williams was a former commit to Florida out of Jacksonville Trinity Christian but was unable to qualify so enrolled at Jones County JUCO last year. The safety was unable to play last year due to an ACL injury but his knee has checked out with all of the coaching staff’s.

The safety had a busy spring as he picked up offers from the likes of Alabama, LSU, Georgia among others after his knee was cleared.

Williams is the 9th commit for the class of 2018 and joins defensive backs C.J. Smith and Divaad Wilson as defensive backs committed in the class.
GatorCountry will continue to update this story with quotes from Williams throughout the day.

Nice get. We definitely need some depth and experience at the safety position. Hope his ACL is good to go!

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Another 3 star DB. :facepalm: Only this one couldn't qualify academically and now has a bum knee.

That's it. I'm officially ready for the Macaverage experiment to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.