Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Don't see much on him as far as ranking, but he's 6'7 335 at 16 years old :eek:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm curious, and lazy/incapable(excuse?) of looking it up, but I do wonder...

We have so much btching about the recruiting job Mac and staff have done in their 3-4 yrs here. Stepping aside from the first class where they started recruiting in December...and are we getting better at the recruiting thing? At least in some ways?

Right now we have what....7 commits for 2018 (4 four-stars, 3 three-stars) and 8 commits for 2019 (5 four-stars, 3 unranked by rivals). We are 8 months from NSD for the 2018 class - what did we have 8 months before this last class that finished as a #9 according to rivals? When have we had any kids, 4* at that, committed 20 months before their NSD?

I'm not saying the quality is there - if it isn't meeting our needs positionally and half the 2020 are unranked (then again, they do have 2 seasons to play in HS).

I'm not saying the quantity is there - again "positions of need", and there is the argument that a commit this early can get flipped.

But I'm asking, because I don't know, have we had this many 4* commits for a class 8 or 20 months out? Hasn't one of the complaints been that we're scrambling at the last hour to fill out a class, and does this speak to that lack of planning ahead and building relationships? I get the fact that our 2018 is ranked #30, and we're getting killed 'today' compared to MIA and tOSU and even UGA 8 months to NSD. But are we any better than we have been in the earlier years 8 months to NSD?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

We have so much btching about the recruiting job Mac and staff have done in their 3-4 yrs here. Stepping aside from the first class where they started recruiting in December...and are we getting better at the recruiting thing? At least in some ways?

Right now we have what....7 commits for 2018 (4 four-stars, 3 three-stars) and 8 commits for 2019 (5 four-stars, 3 unranked by rivals). We are 8 months from NSD for the 2018 class - what did we have 8 months before this last class that finished as a #9 according to rivals? When have we had any kids, 4* at that, committed 20 months before their NSD?

I'm not saying the quality is there - if it isn't meeting our needs positionally and half the 2020 are unranked (then again, they do have 2 seasons to play in HS).

I'm not saying the quantity is there - again "positions of need", and there is the argument that a commit this early can get flipped.

But I'm asking, because I don't know, have we had this many 4* commits for a class 8 or 20 months out? Hasn't one of the complaints been that we're scrambling at the last hour to fill out a class, and does this speak to that lack of planning ahead and building relationships? I get the fact that our 2018 is ranked #30, and we're getting killed 'today' compared to MIA and tOSU and even UGA 8 months to NSD. But are we any better than we have been in the earlier years 8 months to NSD?
Yes, in generic terms each year has gotten better. There are still some/many who complain about roster management concerning recruiting. They have very legit arguments and I agree with most of what they say. But yes, things are getting better, it's just not as quick as most would like, which they are mostly justified in saying.

Personally, I don't think we know how ruined some relationships were by Meyer and Muschamp. Additionally, we haven't been truly competitive in a while. I think there's a lot at play, but I think we are realistically a year behind where we need to be and still lacking in roster management.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ohio DT visits UF
Recently offered DT visits the Florida Gators

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Ohio-DT-visits-UF--53038575

With the summer months gearing up numerous high school prospects will be making their rounds seeing tons of college campuses. On Monday, West Chester (OH) Lakota West defensive tackle Tyler Bentley spent his day visiting the Florida Gators with his parents.

The Gators offered Bentley back in April after sending coaches by his school during the spring evaluation period. He currently holds 25 offers, many of which come from SEC programs. The 247Sports Crystal Ball currently gives the edge to Kentucky with 100-percent of the predictions.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, currently ranks Bentley as the No. 58 defensive tackle in the 2018 class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In-State DB Visiting UF
The Florida Gators will host a four-star defensive back on campus

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/In-State-DB-Visiting-UF--53019897

On Sunday, Tampa (Fla.) Wire grass Ranch defensive back Jordan Miner will visit the University of Florida. He shared his visit plans through his Twitter account.

On my way to the Swamp

— Uno (@Jordanminer01) June 4, 2017

The Gators last hosted the four-star defender earlier this year for one of the Gators Elite Junior days. Earlier this spring Miner also narrowed his focus to a top 11, which included the in-state Florida Gators. Minor is also coming off a visit to Penn State, which is another school considered heavily in the mix as well. Both the Gators and Nittany Lions have predictions in the 247Sports Crystal Ball, with the Gators holding 71-percent of the picks.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, currently ranks Minor as the No. 29 cornerback in the 2018 class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
UF offers #2 OG in 2019 class, Clay Webb:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/clay-webb-florida-gators-offer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Clay Webb was one of three top-50 prospects for the 2019 class on Florida’s campus Friday.

The 4-star offensive lineman from Oxford, Ala., landed an offer from Gators coach Jim McElwain after camping at UF.

“He told me he wanted me to be part of the family,” Webb said of the offer from McElwain. “I think he’d be a good coach to play under.”

247Sports ranks Webb as the nation’s No. 2 guard and No. 37 overall recruit. Friday was his first time visiting Florida.

“I liked everything about it,” Webb said. “I just liked the way the coaches and the players interact on the field.”

Webb had those interactions himself, working with UF offensive line coach Brad Davis. The 6-foot-3, 297-pound lineman learned a couple pointers from Davis.

“I liked him. He helped me improve my form a little bit,” Webb said. “I like his energy level. He talks to players 1-on-1 and tells them what they’re doing right and wrong.”

Alabama, Auburn and Georgia also have offered Webb, who wants to commit his senior year. Webb admits that he’s most familiar with the in-state schools, but said he can “definitely” see himself at Florida.

“Anything is possible,” Webb said when asked about proximity to home. “I could move as far away as Oregon. It doesn’t matter if I like the coaches and like the team.”

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

No. We still don't have a viable option at QB and no one that appears to be the answer coming. We also are lacking on the DL and at LB and yet we're loading up on WRs. Call me crazy, but why worry about recruiting stud WRs if you don't have anyone to get them the friggin ball?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2019 is promising. It won't matter because 2019 players won't be ready to do much on the field before 2021 or 2022.

I don't think Butters has a chance of making it til 2019.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Apopka linemen William Barnes, Ed Montilus visit Florida Gators

Apopka offensive lineman William Barnes and Ed Montilus both visited the Florida Gators on Saturday.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/apopka-lineman-william-barnes-ed-montilus-visit-florida-gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Offensive linemen William Barnes and Ed Montilus both visited Florida on Saturday.

The teammates from Apoka, Fla., didn’t participate in the camp, but stayed close to the drills to watch UF offensive line coach Brad Davis.

“I just came up to see him coach again,” Barnes said. “The way he coaches and the way he is with his players, I just think he’s a great person. The way he coaches, he’s definitely going to get you where you need to be. Athletically, he’s going to push you to it so that’s something I really like.”

Barnes, one of Florida’s top overall targets, is the No. 4 offensive tackle and No. 49 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite rankings. Montilus, meanwhile, was recently offered by the Gators and they’re making a move for him.

“It meant a lot to me,” said Montilus, a 3-star prospect and the nation’s No. 28-ranked offensive guard. “I can actually come here now because they offered me. I enjoyed myself on the visit. I feel more comfortable here than most schools that I visit.

“I got to see Brad Davis coaching the players. He’s a real good coach. He gets after it. He’s going to make you get better. If a guy messes up on one rep, he makes them go right back at it again.”

Barnes and Montilus said the programs they both like are Auburn, Florida and North Carolina. There’s a strong possibility they could attend one of those schools.

“We’ve been talking about it a little bit,” Barnes said. “We most likely plan on going to the same college together. That’s like a 95 percent chance of happening.

“We’ve been friends since the seventh grade and we’re inseparable. Ed is like a brother to me so it would be real special to keep playing with him.”

Barnes and Montilus will take a week-long bus tour late this month to visit several schools. Neither of them have a timeline for their decisions, but they said a joint commitment could happen.

As recruiting heats up in the summer and fall, Montilus said he’s looking forward to experiencing the process with Barnes and bouncing things off each other. He also likes the idea of playing alongside him in college.

“We’d be a dynamic duo,” Montilus said. “We already push each other and work hard together now. We’ll do great things on the next level.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The 12 QBs selected to move on to The Opening are:

Trevor Lawrence- Clemson 5*
Justin Fields-UPS 4*
Tanner McCee-4*
Jack Tuttle-Utah 4*
Devin Leary-NC State 4*
Tyler Shough- Mich lean 3*
Cameron Cooper-Wash St 4*
Quincy Patterson- Va Tech 3*
Jarren Williams- Kentucky 3*
Matt Corral- USC 5*
Justin Rogers-TCU 4*
Dorian Thompson Robinson-UCLA 4*

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The SEC doesn't think much of the QB position it seems.

Yeah, I can't believe UK is the only team w/ a player on the list....and I can't believe Williams is going to stick w/ that commitment.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 12 QBs selected to move on to The Opening are:

Trevor Lawrence- Clemson 5*
Justin Fields-UPS 4*
Tanner McCee-4*
Jack Tuttle-Utah 4*
Devin Leary-NC State 4*
Tyler Shough- Mich lean 3*
Cameron Cooper-Wash St 4*
Quincy Patterson- Va Tech 3*
Jarren Williams- Kentucky 3*
Matt Corral- USC 5*
Justin Rogers-TCU 4*
Dorian Thompson Robinson-UCLA 4*

Fields must have picked up a summer job delivering boxes

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I can't believe UK is the only team w/ a player on the list....and I can't believe Williams is going to stick w/ that commitment.
Kintucky's offense is about 60 ahead of us and getting better.

We kept Nusschump.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
highlights from the E11 semifinals that ended today:

Strongest Arm

Matt Corral — The USC pledge can drive the ball down the field on go routes or rip the ball through the defense on a dig. In a camp with plenty of live arms, Corral looked to have the best when it came to overall arm strength.

Top Gunslinger

Devin Leary — The N.C. State commit has garnered the reputation of being a bit of a ‘grip and rip’ quarterback. The strong-armed New Jersey native is decisive and looks for the big play instead of constantly settling for the easy check downs. Leary’s playing style is entertaining to watch as he manages the offense.

Best College Fit

Justin Rogers — After watching the TCU commit throughout the weekend, you could not help but think the Bossier City, La. native will thrive in the Horned Frogs offense. The athletic 6-foot-4, 205-pound prospect is capable of getting TCU back to its air raid ways with a big arm. The scary part about Rogers is the fact he still looks to be improving and on an upward trajectory as a player.

Rankings Riser

Quincy Patterson — The Virginia Tech pledge is currently a three-star recruit. That might change after this weekend’s showing. At 6-foot-4, 230-pounds, Patterson was the most physically developed quarterbacks at the camp. Patterson also flashed a strong arm capable of hitting throws down the field. The weekend only help Patterson’s stock.

Gamer

Cammon Cooper — The Washington State commit was in the middle of the pack, at best, through two days of workouts. Then the 7on7 portion of the camp came, and Cooper was lights out good. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound signal caller completed 17 of 20 passes for five scores as he carved up the defense.

Quickest

Re-al Mitchell — The Iowa State pledge is on the shorter side at 5-foot-10. However, the California native proved to be an explosive athlete when asked to move around the pocket or roll out. Mitchell was quick avoiding “pass rushers” in drills, and was extremely comfortable moving outside the confines of the pocket.

Most Improved Day 1 to 3

Carter Bradley — The Jacksonville (Fla.) Providence signal caller was solid during the throwing circuit on Friday. Bradley upped his play during the pro day simulation displaying a strong, accurate arm. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound prospect then saved his best performance for last as he excelled on deep balls during 7on7 play. It appeared Bradley became more and more sure of himself as the weekend went on.

Most Consistent

Jarren Williams — The Kentucky commit was consistently good from start to finish. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound prospect is not as flashy with his play as others, but he was certainly an effective passer. The Georgia native looks to be a very reliable option at the game’s most important position.

Best Mechanics

Jack West — The Stanford pledge remains tall in the pocket, has a quick and compact delivery with a high release point. In all, the 6-foot-4, 217-pound prospect is very sound fundamentally.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No ‘Alpha’ Emerged

247Sports’ signature feature is naming an ‘Alpha Dog’ at the various camps and competitions held throughout the year. Tabbing the top quarterback from this Elite 11 Finals proved to be a tough task. Certainly, no signal caller separated from the pack the way Alabama signee Tua Tagovailoa did a year ago.

Perhaps the quarterback that has the strongest argument is USC commit Matt Corral, who was the only quarterback to finish inside the top 5 of 247Sports’ rankings the first two days. However, a 9 of 15 for two touchdown performance during the 7on7 portion, the camp’s most important session, was a middle of the pack outing.

After Saturday’s pro day simulation, it looked as if Corona (Calif.) Centennial’s Tanner McKee had positioned himself to earn the top overall billing. However, as a Church of Latter-day Saints member, McKee did not take part in Sunday’s 7on7, the weekend’s most important event. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound McKee unleashed a series of NFL-like throws during that pro-day, but missing the most important measuring stick of the camp makes it hard to tab McKee in the top spot.

The top performer during the 7on7 portion, Washington State commit Cammon Cooper, was in the lower half the group during the pro day simulation on Saturday night and the throwing circuit the quarterbacks did on day one. He certainly upped his play during the most important session, but was it enough to erase two below average outings previously?

Another quarterback that has an argument for top billing on the weekend is UCLA pledge Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Each day, he improved his standing on 247Sports’ daily rankings landing at No. 11 following the opening day’s throwing circuit, No. 5 after the pro-day simulation, and No. 3 following the 7on7 portion.

The two quarterbacks that most expected to be competing for the to spot heading into the camp, Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, were only solid. Neither pulled away from the pack like expected, but both certainly flashed an elite skill-set that has them so highly ranked. Both also ended the week with fairly pedestrian 7on7 showings.

Questions about composite 5-stars

Heading into the camp, we stated a desire to see more from a pair of quarterbacks short of a five-star grade at 247Sports, despite being five-stars on the industry-generated composite.

Ohio State commit Emory Jones was inconsistent at both the Atlanta and Charlotte Elite 11 Regionals. The 6-foot-2, 195-pound would unleash an elite-level throw, only to follow it by short hopping his receiver. To be blunt, he was inconsistent. This weekend, Jones came out on fire during day one, but slowly saw his level of play fall off through the week. His consistency was significantly better than his previous performances this spring, but still disappointing he couldn’t keep up his level of play from day one the following two outtings.

Washington commit Jacob Sirmon was the other composite five-star 247Sports had on notice. The No. 28 in the nation ranking next to Sirmon’s name comes with lofty expectations. Unfortunately, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound prospect did not earn a top 11 ranking from 247Sports any of the three days at Elite 11. Simply put, he did not answer the bell this weekend, while others with lower ratings out-shined him regularly during the three open throwing periods.

Sunshine State Sleeper

Jacksonville (Fla.) Providence’s Carter Bradley is currently ranked as the nation’s No. 820 overall prospect in the 2018 class according to the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

However, the 6-foot-3, 195-pound prospect turned in one of the better performances of the Elite 11 Finals earning No. 6 ranking after the pro day simulation and a No. 2 ranking after the 7on7 session by 247Sports. Bradley showed that he belonged in the group of 24 competing in Los Angeles, and registered a better performance than some other signal callers with a higher rating.

Bradley did not earn an invitation to The Opening, but his showing during the pro day simulation and the 7on7 were worthy of advancing.

Cusp of a 4th Star

Two quarterbacks currently sitting on an 89 grade, the highest of the three-stars at 247Sports, are Virginia Tech commit Quincy Patterson and Kentucky commit Jarren Williams. Both made strong cases to finally earn that fourth star.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Patterson is physically stout, but he flashed the ability to make elite-level throws. He uncorked some beautiful vertical routes throughout the week.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Williams is just so fundamentally sound in everything he does. Perhaps the biggest take away from the weekend with Williams was during his pro day simulation when he showed off arm strength not yet seen from him prior.

The Opening’s 12 QBs

The 12 quarterbacks that advanced to The Opening later this month were Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Tanner McKee, Tyler Shough, Matt Corral, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Jack Tuttle, Devin Leary, Cammon Cooper, Quincy Patterson, Jarren Williams, and Justin Rogers.

Both Cooper and Shough were in middle of the 24 quarterback pack at best until having stellar 7on7 outings. Carter Bradley’s performance during the pro day simulation and 7on7, where he took the most risks down the field, gave him a very strong case to make this top 12.

Iowa State commit Re-al Mitchell also made a strong bid to be in the top 12 as well. Despite being the shortest quarterback competing, Mitchell still threw the ball well the first two days before exploding with a five touchdown performance during 7on7 play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.