The National Signing Day Thread

Oct 5, 2014
Mehhh... I know he broke your heart. So many of you were sure anything is better than LDR and the year before it was anyone is better than Treon.

It was painfully obvious as early as the spring game that he wasn't ready to be on the field. It isnt his fault we had no one else and the coaches played him anyway. I suspect fan pressure was a big part of it. So many of you were so sure he was head and shoulders above LDR. Younate the words.

As for the mental thing, he isn't in full-blown panic run for your life mode every snap like Driskel. Tebow was pretty slow at processing, he did ok. We will see.

Im not saying he is going to be all sec, but you usually know by their RS soph year what you have. Wuerrfel was pretty sketchy in his RS fr year. He is a big arm, reasonable accuracy, who runs well. EJ will put significant pressure on Franks and could well win out early. At least ea we arent stuck trying to run spread with Jake Allen.

I do not think Franks will ever be the answer at quarterback of the Gators. Let him put on some weight and move to tight end.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Franks may not be the smartest guy, but coaching and offensive complexity does make a difference. Franks has show he has a good arm and I think he could be a decent QB for a year or two if he isn't running an offense as complex as McElwain's.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s the nature of the beast. If you choose to be on social media it happens. These kids act like attention whores through the whole process and now we are supposed to feel sorry for them?

One of two things happened, Mullen didn’t have room for him or he couldn’t get in. There is absolutely no reason for a JUCO to go to Ole Miss right now
Getting juco kids into Florida has been a problem for a long time... kid was either leaning Florida or had them in his top 2 schools and ends up not visiting... couldn't get in.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Getting juco kids into Florida has been a problem for a long time... kid was either leaning Florida or had them in his top 2 schools and ends up not visiting... couldn't get in.
Yup, that would be my guess as well. And we have missed out on some good JUCO’s too because of that. Hopefully, Mullen’s ties to the JUCO programs can help fix some of that too.

My hope is that we have filled up the DL and there’s no space, but yeah, it’s academics

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully, Mullen’s ties to the JUCO programs can help fix some of that too.
the academics of getting from a junior college into University of Florida or any school in Fla is difficult. at the very least they have to pass the clast test and take some very specific courses which many juco kids do not. it's at least a year's prep. we can't just show up in December and take most Juco kids.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Franks may not be the smartest guy, but coaching and offensive complexity does make a difference. Franks has show he has a good arm and I think he could be a decent QB for a year or two if he isn't running an offense as complex as McElwain's.
Apparently too complex for anyone to run... No one ever did...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Apparently too complex for anyone to run... No one ever did...

McElwain's offensive philosophy was on full display against Uk last year. Eventually though, DC's catch up to even the most brilliant offensive minds. Once defenses wised up and started actually placing a defender opposite our WR's, it was checkmate.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some news on NPF:

5-star OT Nicholas Petit-Frere’s coach talks Florida visit, upcoming decision

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-nicholas-petit-frere-coach

Nicholas Petit-Frere enjoys Florida
The Florida Gators hosted six official visitors on campus last weekend, including 5-star offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere.

He is one of the top remaining targets for Florida coach Dan Mullen and offensive line coach John Hevesy, who serves as his primary recruiter and has made a strong impression on the in-state standout.

Petit-Frere attends Berkeley Prep in Tampa, Fla. His head coach, Dominick Ciao, has guided the Under Armour All-American through the recruiting process and will help him decide next week on National Signing Day, along with his mother.

The 6-foot-6, 272-pound lineman is not discussing his recruitment at this time, but Ciao spoke with SEC Country about Petit-Frere’s visit to Florida and his upcoming decision.

“He got back from Florida and told me he had a great time,” Ciao said. “He and his mom went up there and had a wonderful visit to Florida. They met some wonderful people and just had a first-class experience. Now he’s back home processing everything and that’s where we are right now.”

Petit-Frere will travel to Ohio State this weekend for his final official visit. He has previously taken trips to Notre Dame (Oct. 21), Michigan (Nov. 25) and Alabama (Jan. 19).

“There are things at these programs that he finds very intriguing and special,” Ciao said. “He’s looking to have a complete college experience, and every school has that. That’s the hard part of making this decision.

“He had a great time at Notre Dame. He had a great time at Michigan. He had a great time at Alabama. I mean, that’s really what he says. He’s got one more visit to go and he’s very excited about that.”

Heading into the final week, Ciao said Petit-Frere still has to figure out where he’s going and won’t decide on a school until he has taken everything into consideration from the recruiting process.

“He’s not sure what direction he’s leaning. He keeps it close to the vest,” Ciao said. “Very few guys I’ve coached made it through all five visits. He will do that. And when it’s time to decide, he’ll have all the information he needs. He’s about as thorough as they come.”

Petit-Frere is ranked the nation’s No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 7 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite.

Dan Mullen visiting Caleb Johnson
Mullen was in Georgia on Monday visiting 2019 recruits, including 5-star wide receiver Jashawn Sheffield and 4-star athlete Jaylin Simpson, from Frederica Academy (Saint Simons Island, Ga.).

Mullen will stay in Georgia on Tuesday for an in-home visit with Caleb Johnson, one of Florida’s top remaining targets in the Class of 2018.

The 3-star defensive end from Northside High School (Columbus, Ga.) took an official visit to UF on Jan. 19 and the Gators are considered the team to beat in his recruitment. Johnson has also visited Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jason Higdon from Scout is hinting that UF is running 3rd behind ND and OSU. He's usually one of the best at this but really NPF might be one of the hardest recruits to predict since I've been following recruiting for the past 20 years or so

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jason Higdon from Scout is hinting that UF is running 3rd behind ND and OSU. He's usually one of the best at this but really NPF might be one of the hardest recruits to predict since I've been following recruiting for the past 20 years or so
I think ND lost their OL coach. An article mentioned that his mother has a good job and will not be moving to follow him. Just really depends on what he’s looking for. All three Universities can offer a lot

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Franks is a worry at QB. However, more practice under "not the wrong coaching" handling "not the wrong offense" has a chance of FF emerging more, much more effective. With Mullen, Franks would also be running a "surprise wildcat", eliminating that play's main handicap. Plus, much better supporting cast ... ^ RB ypc, ^ OL blocking, thus new developments = new ^ results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.