The National Signing Day Thread

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That pretty much sums it up. The kid is a program changer and if he goes to UGA or FSU then we will watch them succeed while we don't. That said... there is only so much a staff can do to get a kid. It seems like they are doing all they can and he may still pick the bad guys
Well, maybe not 'all they can'.........................
giphy.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WR Anthony Schwartz eyeing September commitment, future Nike sponsorship

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/anthony-schwartz-september-decision

Anthony Schwartz sets another PR
As the new John Ross cleats sat on display at Nike world headquarters, Anthony Schwartz showed why he may have a pair of his own one day.

The 4-star wide receiver from American Heritage High School (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds last Saturday at The Opening. His time was a personal record.

“And that’s off coming off an injury,” he said. “I could go faster than that. I think I can run a 4.1.”

Schwartz was sidelined in May after pulling his hamstring at the FHSAA Track and Field Championships. The injury kept him from defending his 2016 titles in the 100m and 200m.

“It was so frustrating,” Schwartz said. “I wanted to repeat so bad. Then again, it’s only one meet. I have a lot more to go.”

Schwartz is the World Youth U18 record holder, running a nation-leading 10.15 seconds in the 100m at the Pepsi Florida Relays in early April. His time broke the 2008 record set by former Florida running back Jeff Demps.

Like Demps, Schwartz will be a two-sport athlete in college. His speed was on display at The Opening during the fastest man competition and 7-on-7 tournament.

“If you’re in front of me, I’m burning you,” Schwartz said. “That’s my mind set.”

In a few years, Schwartz could be on Nike’s radar for a shoe deal in football or track.

“I already feel blessed that they recognized me as one of the top 166 recruits in the country,” Schwartz said. “Nike only sponsors the best athletes, so if they wanted to sponsor me it would be a dream come true.”

Anthony Schwartz nearing decision
The Under Armour All-American will be making his verbal commitment soon.

Schwartz plans to decide in September after visiting five SEC programs: Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee.

“I’m excited because I’m going to all the schools I’m thinking about,” Schwartz said. “Once I do that, I should have a good idea of where I want to go.”

Right now, that would be Florida. The Gators took the lead for Schwartz in the spring and they remain his front-runner heading into the final stretch of his recruitment.

“They communicate with me every day and I really like what they’re doing over there,” Schwartz said of the Gators. “They think I can take the top off a defense and they’ll have me doing routes that will get me in space.

“I can definitely make a mark there. My goal for college is to win a national championship in football and track, and I’m able to do that at Florida.”

As for life after college, Schwartz doesn’t know if he’ll pursue a professional career in football or track. He plans to determine that while in school.

“I enjoy doing both,” Schwartz said. “It’s kind of a good predicament to be in.”
Would love for the Schwartz to be with us. Dude thinks he can run a 4.1 forty (he ran a 4.27 at the Opening recovering from a hamstring injury).
vuzdu.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meanwhile:

Tennessee lands commitment from elite JUCO DE Dorian Gerald

Tennessee continues to inch closer to having the best recruiting class in the SEC as the program’s latest commitment comes from elite junior college defensive end Dorian Gerald.

The College of the Canyons defender currently ranks as a three-star prospect but is considered to be the No. 11 overall junior college prospect and the No. 2 strongside defensive end in the nation according to 247Sports Composite Rankings. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Gerald committed to the Volunteers over South Carolina, his home state school. Gerald also holds offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida State, Louisville and Oklahoma among others.

2018 4-star LB Adam Anderson de-commits from LSU

The LSU Tigers received some really bad news on Thursday night, as their top-rated 2018 recruit de-committed from the school.

Adam Anderson, a 4-star outside linebacker from Georgia, had been committed to the Tigers since April 22, but announced his decision to reopen his recruitment on Twitter on Thursday evening:

According to the 247Sports composite, Anderson is the No. 1 outside linebacker in the class of 2018 and the No. 7 overall recruit from the state of Georgia.

LSU had the No. 1 overall recruiting class in the SEC for 2018 and the No. 3 class nationally, but losing Anderson is a big hit.

9 days after flipping from UCLA to LSU, RB A.J. Carter decommits from Tigers

That certainly didn’t last long.

LSU received big news nine days ago when it was announced that it had flipped 3-star RB A.J. Carter (Many, La.) from UCLA, but things have apparently changed.

On Wednesday, Carter released the news via his Twitter account that he has decommitted from LSU, saying that he “made the decision for the wrong reasons.”

The 6-foot, 220-pound Carter is rated as a 3-star recruit, ranked as the No. 31 RB in the nation and the No. 27 overall recruit from the state of Louisiana. He currently holds scholarship offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Missouri, Vanderbilt and UCLA among others.

With Carter’s decommitment, LSU now has 21 commits for the class of 2018.

UPDATED: Carter announced that he flipped back to UCLA.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
3 potential replacements for safety C.J. Smith in Florida’s 2018 class

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/c-j-smith-replacements-florida-gators

C.J. Smith replacements
Florida now down to a pair of safety commitments after 4-star recruit C.J. Smith backed off his pledge to the Gators.

Here are three UF targets who could replace Smith in the Class of 2018.

Kwantel Raines, 4-star safety, Aliquippa, Pa.: Raines visited Florida for the first time on June 19 and the trip really helped the Gators’ chances. He spent quality time with the coaches and liked their plans for him in the secondary. The biggest competition for Florida in Penn State and Pitt, but proximity to home isn’t a deciding factor for Raines. He doesn’t have a timetable for his commitment, but the Gators have established themselves as a finalist.

Raines-1_ylnuon.jpg

Kwantel Raines is ranked the nation’s No. 15 safety in the 247Sports Composite. (Photo courtesy of Kwantel Raines)

Jamien Sherwood, 3-star safety, Jensen Beach, Fla.: The Gators have some ground to make up on Sherwood. Florida and Miami led early for him, but the Hurricanes have seemingly pulled ahead along with Auburn, which hosted him for a visit last month. Sherwood attended Florida’s spring game and plans to make it back to Gainesville. He wants to take his five allotted official visits before deciding.

DSC_0001-3_a1pprr.jpg

Jamien Sherwood is ranked the nation’s No. 32 safety in the 247Sports Composite. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Randy Russell, 4-star safety, Miami: Florida’s best shot is likely with Russell. He visited UF on June 2 and de-committed from the Miami Hurricanes the following week. Russell hasn’t named Florida his top school, but the Gators led early for him and he returns to Gainesville this month for Friday Night Lights. He will likely officially visit UF as well. The early enrollee plans to decide in December at the latest.

FullSizeRender-17_uxof5z.jpg

Randy Russell is ranked the nation’s No. 45 safety in the 247Sports Composite. (Zach Abolverdi/SEC Country)

Cancelled reservation
Smith’s de-commitment from Florida was not expected, but also doesn’t come as a surprise.

Smith told SEC Country he committed to the Gators in late March to claim his spot in the class. However, he still has a desire to go through the recruiting process.

“I got big offers from like Alabama and Florida, but schools like Clemson and Ohio State didn’t come after that,” Smith said. “I wish more schools would’ve recruited me. All the SEC schools backed off after I committed.

“Florida, Louisville and North Carolina are the only schools still hitting me up. I still like Florida and I’ve been there so many times, I want to check out some other places just to expand my options and see what else is out there.”

Safety is the biggest need for the Gators in the Class of 2018. Florida’s other commitments at the position are 4-star safety Amari Burney and junior college prospect Deontai Williams.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
there is only so much a staff can do to get a kid. It seems like they are doing all they can and he may still pick the bad guys
I'm sure they are. I doubt the problem with recruiting to this point lies with a staff that just doesn't do much. I'm sure they work their butts off, but some guys have the knack and others don't. If the issue was simply making more of an effort than I think we'd be fine; thats easily correctable. But I dont think that's it. It's just the ability to connect, sell, and make these kids WANT to be gators. Just doesn't seem like this staff so far has that ability.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure they are. I doubt the problem with recruiting to this point lies with a staff that just doesn't do much. I'm sure they work their butts off, but some guys have the knack and others don't. If the issue was simply making more of an effort than I think we'd be fine; thats easily correctable. But I dont think that's it. It's just the ability to connect, sell, and make these kids WANT to be gators. Just doesn't seem like this staff so far has that ability.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think there are some kids that can't be swayed

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think there are some kids that can't be swayed
It's certainly true in individual cases, no doubt, but that's not the issue in the overall recruiting situation. It's not mere coincidence that when certain coaches were here we were livin high on the hog but when others are here we are often left with table scraps on NSD. Despite the myriad of excuses that are made for poor showings, UF has more than enough to offer any top level blue chip athlete. Ultimately it comes down to what you can point as proof that you are legit, and how well you can sell them. 2 east titles standing, mac doesnt have much else to point to honestly, so its on him to sell the kid a vision. So far the top level kids aren't buying. It really is just that simple. And if the sales approach isn't landing, no amount of time and effort put into it is going to change that. Which brings us back to the point, you either have it or you dont. It's really that simple.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's certainly true in individual cases, no doubt, but that's not the issue in the overall recruiting situation. It's not mere coincidence that when certain coaches were here we were livin high on the hog but when others are here we are often left with table scraps on NSD. Despite the myriad of excuses that are made for poor showings, UF has more than enough to offer any top level blue chip athlete. Ultimately it comes down to what you can point as proof that you are legit, and how well you can sell them. 2 east titles standing, mac doesnt have much else to point to honestly, so its on him to sell the kid a vision. So far the top level kids aren't buying. It really is just that simple. And if the sales approach isn't landing, no amount of time and effort put into it is going to change that. Which brings us back to the point, you either have it or you dont. It's really that simple.

I was more talking to Fields specifically. His sister goes to UGA and his Mom loves UGA and he is from GA. Losing him may not be due to recruiting failure.

In general I do agree regarding overall talent and sales pitch

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which school has most appealing depth chart for 5-star QB Justin Fields?

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/justin-fields-qb-depth-chart

Justin Fields‘ options
Every school recruiting 5-star quarterback Justin Fields is selling him on being a program-changing player who can make an immediate impact.

But which program offers Fields the easiest path to playing time?

The nation’s No. 1 dual-threat passer from Harrison High (Kennesaw, Ga.) is focusing on five SEC teams at this stage in his recruitment. Below are the current QB depth charts for each school.

Alabama
  1. Jalen Hurts, sophomore (4-star recruit)
  2. Tua Tagovailoa, true freshman (4-star recruit)
  3. Mac Jones, true freshman (3-star recruit)
Auburn
  1. Jarrett Stidham, redshirt sophomore (4-star recruit)
  2. Sean White, junior (4-star recruit)
  3. Malik Willis, true freshman (3-star recruit)
Florida
  1. Malik Zaire, redshirt senior (4-star recruit)
  2. Feleipe Franks, redshirt freshman (4-star recruit)
  3. Luke Del Rio, redshirt junior (3-star recruit)
  4. Kyle Trask, redshirt freshman (3-star recruit)
  5. Jake Allen, true freshman (3-star recruit)
  6. Kadarius Toney, true freshman (3-star recruit)
Florida State
  1. Deondre Francois, redshirt sophomore (4-star recruit)
  2. J.J. Cosentino, redshirt junior (4-star recruit)
  3. Bailey Hockman, true freshman (4-star recruit)
  4. James Blackman, true freshman (3-star recruit)
Georgia
  1. Jacob Eason, sophomore (5-star recruit)
  2. Jake Fromm, true freshman (4-star recruit)
  3. Brice Ramsey, senior (4-star recruit)
Analysis: A lot of factors at play here. No. 1, there’s a strong possibility that Fields will have to compete as a true freshman against a 2017 starter no matter where he goes. Barring attrition, Alabama and Georgia will definitely return their starters. The Bulldogs, however, will have just two players at the position. Auburn and FSU’s quarterbacks could possibly turn pro as redshirt sophomores, but Stidham and Francois would both need spectacular seasons this year.

Then there’s Florida. The Gators have more quarterbacks on their roster than any other team Fields is considering, but Florida’s average player rating at the position is the lowest of the five finalists. UF could also be looking for a new starter in 2018 if Zaire wins the job this season and plays well enough to enter next year’s draft. Who is most likely to turn pro after 2017: Francois, Stidham or Zaire? Fields may be waiting to determine that this fall.

There’s no doubt that Fields is evaluating the depth charts at each school and trying to find the best situation for him. However, the opportunity to start as a true freshman will not make or break Fields’ decision.

“I know some great quarterbacks redshirt their freshman year just to learn the system and get a close relationship with the receivers. So, it’s not really a big factor, playing my first year,” Fields told SEC Country. “The most important factor is how well I fit into the academics, how the family environment is there and just having a great relationship with the coaches.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Highly-touted DE to visit UF
Georgia defender to visit Florida later this month.
6_5372702.png

Marietta (Ga.) 2020 defensive end BJ Ojulari will visit Florida in late July for the Gators' Friday Night Lights camp. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound edge rusher already has offers from Auburn, Georgia Tech, TCU and others.

Ojulari is the younger brother of elite 2018 recruit, Azeez Ojulari. However, the Top247 being pursued by the Gators – as well as Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and more – is not expected at Friday Night Lights.

Joining the younger Ojulari on his trip to Gainesville will be teammate and fellow touted 2020 recruit, Harrison Bailey.

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Highly-touted-DE-to-visit-UF-53495584

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Latest Trends on the Crystal Ball
A look at the latest trends on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

http://florida.247sports.com/Conten...Trends-on-the-247Sports-Crystal-Ball-53496271

-TE Kyle Pitts - UF 87%
-S Randy Russell - UF 100%
-QB Justin Fields - FSU 36%, UF 28%, UGA 16%
-OL Richard Gourage - UF 77%
-OL William Barnes - UF 81%, UNC 19%
-QB Matt Corral - UGA 91%, UF 9%
-DT Rick Sandidge - USCe 100%
-LB David Reese - UM 55%, UF 27%
-DL Judge Culpepper - UF 83%, PSU 17%

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Latest Trends on the Crystal Ball
A look at the latest trends on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

http://florida.247sports.com/Conten...Trends-on-the-247Sports-Crystal-Ball-53496271

-TE Kyle Pitts - UF 87%
-S Randy Russell - UF 100%
-QB Justin Fields - FSU 36%, UF 28%, UGA 16%
-OL Richard Gourage - UF 77%
-OL William Barnes - UF 81%, UNC 19%
-QB Matt Corral - UGA 91%, UF 9%
-DT Rick Sandidge - USCe 100%
-LB David Reese - UM 55%, UF 27%
-DL Judge Culpepper - UF 83%, PSU 17%

I don't put a whole lot of faith in the crystal balls for Fields. They have changed so much over the last two months... nobody has a clue where this kid is going... I don't think Fields knows yet.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Renard904 WTF are you giving me a thumbs down? I didn't write the F'ing article!

I don't put a whole lot of faith in the crystal balls for Fields. They have changed so much over the last two months... nobody has a clue where this kid is going... I don't think Fields knows yet.

Agree....but I also don't have a good feeling about him either. I hate that FSU is in the picture/leading....

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Renard904 WTF are you giving me a thumbs down? I didn't write the F'ing article!

Agree....but I also don't have a good feeling about him either. I hate that FSU is in the picture/leading....

FYI, I have hit the thumb down button so many times by accident, I couldn't begin to count. The pages jump up and down several times before it finally settles into one position for me. Could be what happened to op? :dunno:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FYI, I have hit the thumb down button so many times by accident, I couldn't begin to count. The pages jump up and down several times before it finally settles into one position for me. Could be what happened to op? :dunno:

Me too....but I was just giving him sh*t! Thumbs down happens!!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:whistle:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

With the way we all currently feel about recruiting... we won't have a good feeling about him until he commits and is either actively trying to recruit other guys or until he actually signs on NSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.