The National Signing Day Thread

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We just offered Jalen Hall (5- star WR in the 247 composite). He is currently committed to USCw, but is supposedly very close with Corral. He is actually transferring to play his senior at the same high school as Corral I believe. Would be another huge WR pull. Would definitely be worth dropping one of the 3 star WR if he wanted in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good write up on Corral and taking him vs. waiting for Fields:

With Matt Corral, the Gators got their elite QB, and that’s all that matters

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/gators-matt-corral-elite-qb-justin-fields-pick

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Despite the social media eruption Saturday night, the cascade of GIFs and memes tweeted by Florida coaches and staffers and the overall excitement expressed by players past, present and future, the celebration could not be totally unanimous throughout the fan base.

That’s just the way it goes.

After facing mounting criticism that he couldn’t attract and land a truly elite quarterback recruit, Florida coach Jim McElwain got two of the most coveted Class of 2018 QBs on campus Friday night and convinced one of them — Matt Corral — to deliver a high-profile pledge before he left town.

Hence the dancing Carlton GIF, the dancing Tupac, the dancing Snoop Dogg (see a trend?) or the well-played winner from Florida director of player development Kevin Barbay:

Live look at @CoachMcElwain walking out of the office tonight! pic.twitter.com/OR5L9E3Xur

— Kevin Barbay (@Coach_Barbay) July 23, 2017

Yet the question still lingered. What about Justin Fields?

Viewed by many as the top quarterback prospect of all, Fields was also at Florida’s Friday Night Lights showcase and was considering the Gators along with Florida State, Auburn, Alabama and Georgia. Did McElwain and Co. give up pursuit of the top target to settle for the next-best option?

Perhaps, but with good reason, because Corral is no consolation prize.

And if Fields now lands at rival Florida State as many Florida fans fear and becomes an impediment for the Gators’ national title hopes in coming years, the question about the Gators’ decision will be renewed time and again. But it need not be, because this was a win for Florida.

Consider …

• Fields has indicated no public preference at this point, so the Gators were merely in the running for his commitment with a lot of work to do and considerable competition still to overcome. McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier have a better pulse on the situation than any recruiting analyst. If they sensed it was truly just a matter of time for Fields to find his way to Gainesville, maybe they play this differently. Instead they went all out for Corral during Friday Night Lights. The California kid didn’t have to throw a pass at the showcase to remain in the spotlight all night, palling around with one assistant coach after another at midfield, laughing, smiling and generally looking more like he was catching up with uncles at a family reunion than coaches he was still getting to know. He then returned Saturday for further discussion with the staff. The Gators seemed to know what they wanted to achieve out of this weekend and pulled it off, securing the commitment from a QB who also listed Alabama, Georgia and Southern Cal as his finalists.
  • What if McElwain and Co. had indeed played the long game, had decided that Fields — the No. 1 rated dual-threat QB in the country and No. 2 overall prospect according to the 247Sports composite — was such a one-of-a-kind talent that they had to go all in and wait this out until the end? Corral, who it should be reiterated is ranked the No. 2 pro-style QB nationally, proceeds with his planned visit to Georgia and the momentum that existed for him and the Gators in Gainesville this weekend moves further and further into the rearview. Maybe he was so set on the Gators that he makes the same decision in three months or six months if Fields heads elsewhere, or maybe not. Then what? Corral is potentially beating Florida in Atlanta or Jacksonville in a couple years.
  • McElwain has established a nice foundation in his first two years at Florida, and the Gators were already riding a wave of recruiting momentum this cycle and into the future, but if the 2018 class didn’t include a premier quarterback who fans could view as the long-awaited program-changer at that position, then the pressure and scrutiny on this coaching staff would become only more magnified. This is McElwain’s fourth recruiting class, and while Feleipe Franks was a highly-regarded signee in 2016, Fields and Corral are on a different level. The Gators needed to land one of them and they did, convincing a highly sought-after prospect to relocate across the country.
  • And finally, it simply shouldn’t be understated what a big get Corral is for Florida or would have been for any program. The magnitude of his commitment need not be evaluated on anything other than his own immense potential. Rivals and Scout both rate him as a 5-star recruit with Rivals listing him as the No. 7 overall prospect at any position, which would make him the highest-ranked QB signee in Florida history if that stands. While he still has to eventually sign and then prove himself after arriving on campus, there is every reason to believe the Gators have found their quarterback of the future … finally.
The man on fire tweet was well-earned. The dancing Carlton GIF seemed appropriate. The raw excitement emanating from the Florida football program said all that needed to be said Saturday night.

The only question that should remain from the weekend and linger into the future is this: Just how good can Matt Corral be in the orange and blue?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
We just offered Jalen Hall (5- star WR in the 247 composite). He is currently committed to USCw, but is supposedly very close with Corral. He is actually transferring to play his senior at the same high school as Corral I believe. Would be another huge WR pull. Would definitely be worth dropping one of the 3 star WR if he wanted in.
We def won't be keeping Williams imho. He and gommage (sp?) didn't even come to FNL. And I think they're our lowest recruits?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Just read in the Louisiana paper that the early signing date is in effect for the 2018 class. Is that correct? LOI day may be in December rather than February.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
6' 3" 160lbs, kid needs to eat. Still we seem to be landing a lot of WRs and still in contention for a few others that are higher rated I believe. I do like the kid being that tall though.
Yeah, I wasn't too serious about it. Hadn't heard much other than it looked good for us. I was hoping someone would've heard something concrete on him, like if he was 30lbs heavier he'd be a 5*, but he's just a tall skinny 3*.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Saw this on 247's board.....and I don't like it at all!

---

Ross Martin, a UNC Insider, has not had a wrong prediction yet this year (20/20) just crystal balled Barnes to UNC. I think Barnes is a Gator but interesting to say the least.

http://247sports.com/User/Ross%20Martin/Predictions?PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Recruitment.Year=2018&PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Sport=Football
No one's going to make it all the way to NSD with a 100% prediction rate about choices made by 17-year-olds. This guy is overdue to miss one. I'll go out on a limb and say he's wrong about Barnes.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think it shows that the Gretzkys are dbags. The kid would've stayed at that school of Corral was the d bag.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meanwhile:

Georgia picked up its ninth commitment of the 2018 recruiting cycle Monday morning from four-star defender Caleb Tannor. Making this news even better for UGA fans, Tannor chose the Bulldogs over Auburn.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Tannor ranks as the No. 15 weakside defensive end in the nation and the No. 34 overall prospect from the state of Georgia according to 247Sports Composite Rankings. While Georgia and Auburn were his Top 2 choices, Tannor also holds scholarship offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Mississippi State and Tennessee among others.

Auburn reaches into Georgia, lands commitment from elite LB Michael Harris:

Monday was a mixed morning on the recruiting trail for Auburn, after losing out on Caleb Tannor, the Tigers reached double digit commitments for the 2018 recruiting cycle thanks to the pledge of linebacker Michael Harris.

The 6-foot-2, 213-pound Tucker, Ga., native ranks as a four-star prospect, the No. 11 inside linebacker nationally by 247Sports Composite and No. 27 recruit in the state of Georgia. Harris committed to the Tigers over offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Ohio State among many others.

South Carolina picked up three commitments on Saturday, but the Gamecocks’ big recruiting weekend wasn’t over.

Will Muschamp got his fourth pledge of the weekend when Highland Community College (Kan.) WR Ronnie Jamison told his Twitter followers where his roots were a made – in a “Sandstorm.”

South Carolina offered the Irmo, S.C. native on Friday, and it didn’t take him long to commit.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play at USC,” Jamison told The State. “Coach Muschamp said I could make an impact on the team and I have had a great relationship with coach McClendon. I never thought I would commit this early but South Carolina always has been my school and now I can concentrate just on football this year.”

JC Shurburtt of 247Sports writes that upon viewing Jamison’s highlights, below, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound wideout could be a hidden gem of the 2018 class.

The Mizzou Tigers picked up their eighth commitment for the class of 2018 Sunday.

Three-star athlete Cam Taylor committed to the Tigers over offers from Michigan, Mississippi State and Louisville, among others. Listed at 6-foot, 196 pounds, Taylor is certainly talented enough to play multiple positions for the Tigers, but he’ll play defensive back for Barry Odom’s defense.

The Montgomery native is rated as the nation’s No. 47 overall athlete and the state’s No. 20 overall prospect, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Taylor becomes the second commitment for the Tigers from the state of Alabama, joining 3-star QB James Foster.

Missouri:

Hours after landing 4-star ILB Chad Bailey from Missouri City, Texas, another Houston-area recruit announced he’s taking his talents to the Show Me State.

Three-star WR Kam Scott from Manvel, Texas became the Tigers’ third commitment of the day when he posted a video on his Twitter account revealing his decision. Missouri won out over other finalists Baylor, Illinois, Louisville and Tulsa.

Scott, who measures 6-foot-1, 156 pounds, is ranked the No. 66 recruit in the Lone Star State and No. 84 wide receiver in the 2018 class. He has 14 scholarship offers, including division rivals South Carolina and Tennessee.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Matt Corral commitment more proof that Jim McElwain is an elite recruiter

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/matt-corral-jim-mcelwain-recruiting-florida

And the commitment came during McElwain’s biggest recruiting weekend, one in which he had 11 top-200 prospects on campus for Florida’s annual Friday Night Lights recruiting showcase. The Gators received seven commitments over the prior four days — five from the Class of 2018 and two for the Class of 2019. Florida’s 2018 recruiting class, in turn, skyrocketed from 40th in the country to 12th in the 247Sports composite rankings. They went from the eighth-best class in the SEC to third, behind just Tennessee (fifth) and LSU (sixth). Alabama, for the moment, is 45th nationally and 11th in the SEC.

McElwain has done this before.

When he was hired as Florida coach in December 2014, he had less than two months to make sure the Gators’ recruiting class stayed intact and attempt to haul in a few big-name players at the finish.

In that time, McElwain lifted the recruiting class from as low as 96th to 21st in the country. Fifteen of UF’s 22 recruits in that class committed in the final two weeks. Seven of those 15 — including offensive lineman Martez Ivey, defensive end CeCe Jefferson and wide receiver Antonio Callaway — committed on signing day.

His next two recruiting classes finished 12th in 2016 and 10th in 2017, with the latter moving up in the national rankings thanks to the 11th-hour signings of some top prospects — T.J. Slaton, James Robinson, and C.J. Henderson among others.

Now, McElwain and his coaching staff is ready to do it again.

The Gators have set themselves up well in the recruiting circle with more than sixth months to go until signing day.

And yet they are still targeting a slew of top prospects that could only continue to push the class higher up the rankings. Among them:

• 4-star wide receiver Jacob Copeland, the No. 9 receiver in the class.
  • 4-star wide receiver Anthony Schwartz, the No. 29 receiver in the class.
  • 4-star running back Dameon Pierce, the No. 9 running back in the class.
  • 4-star offensive lineman Richard Gouraige, the No. 10 offensive tackle in the class.
  • 4-star offensive lineman William Barnes, the No. 5 offensive tackle in the class.
  • 5-star defensive end Micah Parsons, the No. 1 weakside defensive end and No. 5 overall prospect in the class.
  • 4-star linebacker Channing Tindall, the No. 6 outside linebacker in the class.
  • 4-star safety Tyreke Johnson, the No. 4 safety in the class.
  • 4-star safety Amari Burney, the No. 11 safety in the class.
The list keeps going.

And with the Gators landing their star quarterback for the class, the snowball effect should be in motion on offense.

In one sense, it already is.

One day after Corral committed, 4-star wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase announced his commitment to Florida. Copeland, a top-100 prospect who has been high on the Gators for some time now, said at Friday Night Lights that he plans to move up his commitment date. Schwartz, one of the fastest receivers in the class, named Florida as one of his top-6 schools on Sunday night.

Coincidence? Possibly.

But finally having a quarterback to build a recruiting class around certainly helps. Now, McElwain can turn his focus to the rest of the class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida Gators recruiting class
reacts to Corral news

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-class-reacts-to-corral-news/

The Florida Gators coaching staff, fan base and really pretty much in the Gator Nation was excited and well pumped up on Saturday night after a great recruiting weekend.

Well that and the news that big time quarterback Matt Corral had committed to Florida during his three-day visit to Gainesville.

GatorCountry.com ran a Twitter reaction on Saturday night but now we talked to several current Gators commits in the 2018 and 2019 class to get their reaction on the big news.

The reaction is overwhelming positive as you would expect as the class finally has their signal caller.

Running back commit Iverson Clement-“I’m excited about him and what he does to our class. We’re going to build fast and big and he can now help bring players from all over to Florida.”

Tight end Kyle Pitts-“Me and Matt had talked about it and I kinda knew he was going to commit. But I was happy that we have a quarterback for this class and the class is only on the uprise and more is coming stay tuned.”

Tight end Dante Lang-“I have never really seen him play but I heard that he was really good.”

Athlete Amari Burney-“My reaction was hyped up, he can bring in a lot of guys with him to Florida. With this new commitment, I know a lot of receivers would love to play with him so we should get a couple more receivers to commit.”

2019 safety commit Jaleel McRae-“I’m loving it, all I have to say is the future is great. Get on the train while you can.”

2019 offensive line commit Andrew Coker-“Man it’s huge, my eyes lit up. He’s a big time player that can help us get to a national championship. Since he’s a big time player, he draws in other big time players, which helps a ton. With our 2018 and 2019 class I think we going to do something special.”

2019 athlete commit Tyrique Stevenson-“I’m excited and it’s going to build from here and be the greatest class ever.”

2019 receiver commit Frank Ladson Jr.-“It’s big and it just made the future brighter.

2019 athlete commit Trent Whittenmore-“I think it’s a huge get for us and he along with some big time players have boosted the 2018 class. I think the quality of a commit like that can really create a domino effect which occurred this weekend even spilling into the 2019 class. We got some huge some huge players as well. I’m just pumped to be teammates with all these guys here in a couple years.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator