The National Signing Day Thread

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Noah Jefferson got crystal ball'd to us twice last week. He's the juco DT. A big dude.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was also told yesterday not be suprised if the Watkins kid comes to Florida. I have a little North Marion connection.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
4* CB Julius Irvin out of California offered by UF; 6'2 185lb Safety. Offers from USC, ND, and Stanford. CB'd to ND, #149 overall player in 2018 class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(from the guy on gatorcountry's recruiting board, candy - does a great job):

This and That

Thanks for all the activity on the board. This is going to be a good class IMO. Thanks for posting and the heads up.

UAAAG: No commits but a lot of good work done by our guys. Jones will be a leader.

OL Concerns: There legit, but I do feel confident UF will come out ok.

SOW: They had a major De-commitment in CB Kenyatta Watson. A 4 * corner that has had contact with UF. Watson is quoted as wanting to evaluate the academics of the various schools recruiting him. He has visits scheduled to UT and Notre Dame. UF may get in the mix but right now I would guess one of those two will get him. SOW still has a strong DB class.

SOW 2: Poor Willie, part of what made Taggert appealing was the potential staff he would bring. Thus far he seems to be having some trouble in that department.

SOW 3: S&C coach Irele Oderinde will join the SOW staff as expected. If he didn’t join the sow, Cristobol would not have retained him. Oderinde was suspended last year one month without pay after 3 Oregon players were hospitalized. It seems there is a strong difference of opinion on S&C between Cristobol and poor Willie.

LSU: Filled one of 4 slots picking up 4* safety Kelvin Joseph as I predicted last week.

LSU 2: Some crazy stuff started going on between TA&M and the Tigers. The aggies offered LSU DC Dave Aranda. LSU countered with a 10 Million (no it’s not a typo) 4 year deal. I asked my lsu contact how they could justify such a thing. Now we all know that Louisiana the state has budget problems but my guy knows one of the big wigs with the TAF and says that even though they are paying Miles a lot of money and now Canada a lot of parting money they have no money shortage when it comes to LSU athletics. He also told me that he has heard they are prepared to pay big bucks for the next OC.

TA&M: Jimmy lost a 4* linebacker who flipped to the Sooners. DaShaun White will join the Sooners. I guess after watching the Dawgs run all over the Sooner defense he saw playing time galore. Lincoln Riley has done a great job at OU. I was one, who felt Stoops retiring would be more negative but it seems that is not the case.

TA&M 2: The Aggies did hire DC Mike Elko away from ND as I predicted last week. I’m unsure why, if Jimmie had Elko lined up he offered Aranda. Perhaps the two are friends and Jimmie sure knows how to use other schools to get a raise. Regardless it will cost lsu big bucks.

T&M 3: Jimmie is starting to get it that he is not at sow anymore. All the Texas schools, lsu, Oklahoma and to a lesser extent the other sec schools are after the same guys. Now he will do ok, but I don't think Jimmie will have the highly ranked classes like he did at sow.

Jaylen Hall: I only mention him as he was linked with Matt Corral at one point that seems decades ago now. Hall is all but committed to the Ducks. Oregon fans are getting less and less upset that poor Willie spurned them for the sow.

Chauncy Manac: The Gators offered on Dec. 3rd, he committed to Cincinatti on Dec. 5th, De –Committed January 7th. Manac is a big talent but I’ve heard whispers of qualifying issues. Now those could be nothing or legit concerns.

Justin Watkins: pencil him in.

Candys Projected WR class: Jefferson, Grimes, Copeland, Watkins, +1 of several top guys. So you may ask what about Corey Gammage. The honest answer is I don’t know but I place him at 50/50 at best. He did visit Iowa State but the only chatter I’m detecting is from scum.

scUM: After a strong early signing class, it seems as if CMR may take some guys he was not planning on. Nigel Bethel is being slow played. Gammage has been offered but it depends on what others do or don’t. I do believe they get Silvera. Campbell is iffy and Surtain is a loooong shot. Chatman is a question mark on what he will do. In other words, not a lot of certainty in finishing out their class.

Noah Jefferson: He visits the 19th and I expect him to commit after the visit.

Xavier Peters: Visits the same week. I was told it is thought he will qualify or he would not be allowed to visit. If it gets cancelled, then you know where the problem is.

Quay Walker: is scheduled on the 12th. I don’t expect a public commit. I do think when he leaves the staff will know what his intentions are.

CB: Goodrich and Griffin are scheduled the same week. I can tell you lsu feels confident in Goodrich. Regardless, if they both make their visits, UF will IMO sell them on playing together. If only one makes it in, you sell them on being the jewel of an already very good DB class. After watching Trey Dean, I’m not worried about corner this class.

Walk Ons: I know for a fact that at least a few kids have been approached as preferred walk on status. I can’t say more than that right now.

2nd QB: Unless something changes, I do not see a second QB in this class.

Parting thoughts: With an exception or two, everyone left on the board is a high 3 * or better. Lieutenant Dan is going after the top guys and I respect that.

Loosing Hughes: With coaching changes you sometimes lose some good people. The Vols are doing some nice things in Knoxville and Hughes will be an asset for the program. The East is going to be a lot tougher to win going forward. IMO Pruitt has done a very good job in righting the shipwreck up there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Now that Butters is gone are there anymore "stars don't matter" posters here?

Found this in an article about the NC game tonight:

Alabama and Georgia have a combined 123 players who were once deemed four- or five-star recruits.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Alabama and Georgia have a combined 123 players who were once deemed four- or five-star recruits.
Stars don’t matter on an individual basis, but you can’t deny the percentages as a group.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

They are still out there. Don't kid yourself.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Stars don’t matter on an individual basis, but you can’t deny the percentages as a group.

I think part of the problem is that the excuse is used on the individual basis. That's when you hear the old "well coach XYZ saw something in him and that's good enough for me...". "I trust Coach ABC he knows LBs better than anyone..."

We need a talent influx badly over the next two years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think part of the problem is that the excuse is used on the individual basis. That's when you hear the old "well coach XYZ saw something in him and that's good enough for me...". "I trust Coach ABC he knows LBs better than anyone..."

TR, I agree 100%. I didn't want to respond to Alc's reply out of respect to him (as he's not a "stars don't matter" poster from what I recall).

The reason we (UF) are seeing more and more 3-star players become contributors for us is because our roster is full of 3-stars! Somebody's gotta play! We could go down plenty of rosters that have proven 3-star talent....most of those schools aren't playing for conference or national championships however. It was a tired excuse and I hope, moving forward, those type of posters will see the errors of their ways (blindly following Butters/Muschamp/Zook, etc).

You need a few things to win in college football besides a good coach: good coaches, facilities, a stud QB.....and a sh*t-ton of 4 and 5 star players on your roster! (not a "sh*t-ton of 3-star players who are really 4 or 5 star players because your head coach and staff are great talent evaluators")....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Maybe better to say the recruiting rankings are generally accurate but are not necessarily predictive of success for a particular individual. There are 5* busts and 3* gems, but on balance a higher % of 5* and 4* players will succeed.

I do think it’s correct to say 3* athletes are generally P5 caliber.

By the way, UCF’s highest class rank the last 4 years was 55th last year. They signed 3 4* guys over those 4 years. I’m not suggesting that means “stars don’t matter” but it does mean they have done an awful lot with what they do have.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TR, I agree 100%. I didn't want to respond to Alc's reply out of respect to him (as he's not a "stars don't matter" poster from what I recall).

The reason we (UF) are seeing more and more 3-star players become contributors for us is because our roster is full of 3-stars! Somebody's gotta play! We could go down plenty of rosters that have proven 3-star talent....most of those schools aren't playing for conference or national championships however. It was a tired excuse and I hope, moving forward, those type of posters will see the errors of their ways (blindly following Butters/Muschamp/Zook, etc).

You need a few things to win in college football besides a good coach: good coaches, facilities, a stud QB.....and a sh*t-ton of 4 and 5 star players on your roster! (not a "sh*t-ton of 3-star players who are really 4 or 5 star players because your head coach and staff are great talent evaluators")....
I guess I did a bad job of it, but I was basically trying to say on an individual analysis stars don’t matter. You look at Jarred Davis and he was a huge success. There can be any number of reasons why he was a 3*, but you need to know why and then decide if people were wrong about him. Randy Russell is a 3* safety that I like. I don’t get the feeling he’ll be Jarred Davis, but I think his size may be what has him trending as a 3*. I think Lang must be a project. If I recall he has serious athleticism for his size. So if you individually rate these guys and see upside, then I don’t see a problem.

But you can’t take a whole class of these guys. When you look at percentages, 5* are better than 4* which are better than 3* and so on. So as a group, stars matter a lot.

So it can get more complex. Think about stars as credit ratings. Are there people with high credit scores that go bankrupt 5 yrs from now? Sure. Are there mediocre credit scores that pay like clock work? Sure. But as groups, it’s very easy to see where banks bet their money. It’s basically managing risk.

As Law has stated before, there are different types of 3*s and different positions are harder to evaluate.

So having 3*s on the team doesn’t bother me, but having a team of 3*s does. I was trying to avoid a long post, but I guess my initial one was ineffective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.