The Ridiculousness that is the 4 team playoff

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Here are the current rankings. TCU lost to Baylor, Oregon at #2, etc. What else is there to say, but 4 teams doesn't cut it.

Attachments

• conv_1281.png
    conv_1281.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 47

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All I know is I've seen a lot of butthurt coming from the Nole camp since last night. It's going to be an interesting few weeks watching this play out.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
They scream about their winning streak but have no answer when you ask them how many ranked teams are in that winning streak... They beat a good Auburn team and a decent Clemson team last year. They've squeaked by inferior opponents this entire year. I believe they have beaten the spread only twice this year. They are not a great football team. We could actually give them fits in their season finale.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It is better than the BCS, but it still is very subjective. Plus, why even have rankings at this point? The winners of the major conferences will be in the playoff.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
MidwestChomp;n103266 said:
It is better than the BCS, but it still is very subjective. Plus, why even have rankings at this point? The winners of the major conferences will be in the playoff.

Because the winner of a major conference could have 3 or 4 losses.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
KCgator;n103268 said:
Because the winner of a major conference could have 3 or 4 losses.

You have a point. I was assuming the conference winners would have 1 or 2 losses. I think they should just wait to rank them at the end after all conference play is finished.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n103272 said:
You have a point. I was assuming the conference winners would have 1 or 2 losses. I think they should just wait to rank them at the end after all conference play is finished.

Then they would have less things to talk about.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n103272 said:

I agree with this. The only reason they have rankings now is to give the media something to talk about regarding the playoff. It's PR.

As far as the playoff I think an 8 team would be best. The reality is that there is always going to be a line and a team left out, but I think it's easier to argue that the #9 team in the country wasn't the best vs. the #5.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's exciting. I would only expand it to eight. I do not believe that any team in 9-16, all of which will have one loss, and some of which will have two, are deserving of playing for the NC. I don't care what the other divisions do, no one but their fans and alumni care about their playoffs, anyway.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Be like the pros and have only 6 teams in the playoff. Top two get a bye on the first round of playoffs.

F18Bundy

Founding Member
No Carbs Please
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Voting for championships is ridiculous. Establish a criteria for entry into the playoff and let the season play out.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama,tcu,Oregon and miss st will be the 4 to make it

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Four team still leaves room for arguments about who deserves it..especially when a committee votes on the Top 25 and Top 4 that get in...but I still agree with some of you that it's better than the BCS and we will have more so (not totally) a TRUE NATIONAL CHAMPION. Also agree with some of those that say 8 teams is better than 4 for a playoff. No bye-weeks, though..IMHO.

BearCatGator

Aug 26, 2014
F18Bundy;n103311 said:
Voting for championships is ridiculous. Establish a criteria for entry into the playoff and let the season play out.

That would still require voting, unless you just took conference champs. Do you really think Georgia Southern or a Northern Illinois team would deserve to play over TCU team because they didn't win their conference? Even the FCS playoffs require some voting.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Baylor passes TCU at the end because the SOS will be a lot closer then. I actually like it this way better than the last way. I also think conference winners aren't guaranteed a spot in the 6 big bowls now. We could get screwed if we backed into the SECCG and won but lost to FSU. I don't agree with that if that is true.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Baylor lost to WVU
TCU lost to Baylor which is higher ranked than WVU

I get the reasoning. They have no conf championship game. Who is each loss to? Head to head? I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator