The weekend that was…

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
I am going to differ a little from my usual format to address the Florida/Bama game and the current state of our program, without further ado...

3.  The Gators – Now We Know Where We Stand

My mother always told me if you don’t have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut.  It has always been my prime directive and it has served me well through the years as criticism can appear petty and often sounds like sour grapes.  However, that is not an option when I have an article to write about the Gators’ performance in Tuscaloosa on Saturday.  I can’t turn in...

Read the rest here: The weekend that was…

More...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This article was rather cute. This writer feels horribly bad for Muschamp and Driskel, very bad. I could almost see his tears running down my screen while I read it. But sometimes college football can be a cruel place to be.

You can't really feel bad for Muschamp, not with his current compensation and enormous golden parachute waiting for him. It's easier to feel sympathy for someone like Driskel, who like hundreds of QB's before him simply doesn't have it between the ears to play quarterback. But it happens every day - someone else comes in and takes your job.

Last Saturday seems to have been the tipping point for those that were still holding out hope that we were going to rebound under Muschamp. It was a hard and saddening reality check for many people to see just how far away we are from being where we need to be. This writer is one of those people.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Are you surprised? Lol it's from GatorCountry.. that place where fans are encouraged to fart rainbows and spin, spin, spin that bad news into good news daily.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I Have No Friends :(;n62196 said:
Are you surprised? Lol it's from GatorCountry.. that place where fans are encouraged to fart rainbows and spin, spin, spin that bad news into good news daily.

Totally agree. God forbid you speak the truth over there!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n62184 said:
This article was rather cute. This writer feels horribly bad for Muschamp and Driskel, very bad. I could almost see his tears running down my screen while I read it. But sometimes college football can be a cruel place to be.

You can't really feel bad for Muschamp, not with his current compensation and enormous golden parachute waiting for him. It's easier to feel sympathy for someone like Driskel, who like hundreds of QB's before him simply doesn't have it between the ears to play quarterback. But it happens every day - someone else comes in and takes your job.

Last Saturday seems to have been the tipping point for those that were still holding out hope that we were going to rebound under Muschamp. It was a hard and saddening reality check for many people to see just how far away we are from being where we need to be. This writer is one of those people.
I've never felt bad for Mushchamp...he's a very well paid employee who took a chance and looks to have lost....

This year has always been where I would make the decision on yea or nay, and primarily on 1 game - UGA, For WM, the future does not look bright.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
AugustaGator said:
oxrageous;n62184 said:

I've never felt bad for Mushchamp...he's a very well paid employee who took a chance and looks to have lost....

This year has always been where I would make the decision on yea or nay, and primarily on 1 game - UGA, For WM, the future does not look bright.
I love that avatar.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I do feel bad for Muschamp... yes he is getting paid a ton of money... so I'm not crying for him, but anytime I see somebody trying so hard to succeed and just not finding the proper method and struggling the way Muschamp is I feel a little bad for them. He truly seems like a good person and he has turned the discipline around, it just seems he is not able to succeed in this position.

Maybe he surprises us all, but right now the biggest surprise for me would be if he is coach next year.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AugustaGator said:
oxrageous;n62184 said:

I assume you put it there...I do not take the time for such things....if I had any initiative, I'd find a pic of the grumpy old man from Bugs Bunny....

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is the definition of insanity?

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"Jeff gives us the best chance of winning" - yet with 2 minutes to go in the 1st half, 3 straight runs up the middle to run the clock and get to halftime.
Down by 7 in the 4th qtr, 3 straight runs and punt the ball
All these teams in college football that play freshman QBs and we can't get a single QB coached up to complete double digit passes in a game.

WWSD
What would Spurrier do? He would have yanked Jeff and played Treon

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n62426 said:
"Jeff gives us the best chance of winning" - yet with 2 minutes to go in the 1st half, 3 straight runs up the middle to run the clock and get to halftime.
Down by 7 in the 4th qtr, 3 straight runs and punt the ball
All these teams in college football that play freshman QBs and we can't get a single QB coached up to complete double digit passes in a game.

WWSD
What would Spurrier do? He would have yanked Jeff and played Treon

The score was in a benefitical play in the first half, that running out the clock made sense in the first half. Running the ball in the second half, is understandable, just the selection of plays could be re-evaluated. Jeff had a rough day so running made sense, or a screen pass (even through we shot ourselves in the foot when we did the middle screen). Get confidence back up.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That he says that "only now is it true" is precious. So glad he was able to finally validate what we've been seeing, even if it was only true as of Saturday. So big of him. It was painful for him, obviously, to lower himself to those of us who have been saying the same thing for a while now.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AugustaGator said:
oxrageous;n62184 said:

I watched a lot of bugs bunny in my day, and still do since we've introduced our son to the cartoon - but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who the grumpy old man was. I did a little research and could only find images for the mad scientist and a couple of the old crooners, such as Bing Crosby.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AugustaGator said:
oxrageous;n62184 said:

The new looney tunes are a disgrace to cartoons and should be banned forever.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And I find it funny that someone who has been Gator since 1994 can lecture me about having perspective. I became a fan during our winless season. I got a crash course in program failure from my grandfather, who was a Gator from the 40's. Folks on this site roll back further than myself. I'd say we know a stinker when we see one, regardless if they make it to Atlanta. We've seen plenty around here.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I feel bad about is that the writer is only now realizing Muschamp stinks. I think we all understand Driskel is a college kid and doesn't need to be beat up, but he does need to be benched.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was a good article. Notice how he mentioned beating Michigan to Jim harbaugh lol. That would be bad ass but I think him and the 49ers will bury the hatchet.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n62184 said:

I always get a laugh with these writers saying Muschamp will be a good head coach one day. What evidence is there of that ever happening - there is none imo just like Driskel has never really shown anything to suggest he might magically turn into a serviceable QB.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n62184 said:
Last Saturday seems to have been the tipping point for those that were still holding out hope that we were going to rebound under Muschamp. It was a hard and saddening reality check for many people to see just how far away we are from being where we need to be.

This describes me perfectly.

We are 3 games into to what should be the greatest time of the year for Gator fans, and our season is reduced to watching our coach's long, slow walk to the unemployment line while considering the peripheral damage it will do to recruiting and our national image. We don't get pumped for big games anymore: we approach them with a feeling of pessimism and strong sense that we will lose. We must dig deep to find reasons we may games when there should be no doubt (talking to you, Vandy, UK, Mizzou, Buttchuggers...). Fun for us has become speculating which coach will come in to save us, not what has to happen across the landscape of college football for us to make the playoff and win another Natty or SEC title. We're even speculating about Lane Kiffin and on some deep, bizarre levels, it can be argued he'd be an improvement. Lane friggin Kiffin!! And even more depressing and confusing, our AD - whose overall success running one of the largest and most successful athletic departments in the country is without question - seems oblivious.

And if we hired Vince Lombardi tomorrow, we're probably looking at 2-3 years to rebuild to get us back to where we belong. What a waste of a year. Hell, 4 years. :suicide:

Damn, I want to be a Pumper again..............

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
kepler;n62454 said:
The only thing I feel bad about is that the writer is only now realizing Muschamp stinks. I think we all understand Driskel is a college kid and doesn't need to be beat up, but he does need to be benched.
This is true. He has (apparently) received poor coaching, and he hasn't been pushed to get better.

That's on Chimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator