Things are lining up nicely for the eventual hire of Chip Kelly

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
MrsRobocop_400x400.jpg

GatorArts

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2017
I read that there is another road block to Kelly coming to any SEC school. This year the SEC voted in a new rule; any school wanting to hire a coach that's had any trouble with the NCAA must first contact and get permission from the SEC commissioner. The article I read said that is why Tennessee and Florida weren't talking about him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm going to throw out some balance on Kelly.

The NCAA thing in itself isn't one of my chief concerns. Definitely not ideal, and will be used against him regularly, but I think that can be gotten around. That said, the P12 isn't the cutthroat industry that is SEC coaching. I think people largely looked the other way until he started really affecting Usc(flipping D Thomas). He won't be afforded that here. This is a tattle tale league, and the moment Ala, ut or uga are burned, they'll be making accusations.

A bigger concern for me, however, is his time in Philly. Not sure non-Eagles fans watched him with as much scrutiny as we did. He did some good things, and definitely wasn't a failure. But at UF, we've spent the last 7 years loathing the stubborn mindset of our coaches. Kelly, despite having more success, is probably twice as stubborn. His personnel moves(Kiko Alonso for McCoy doesn't make sense in any universe), letting guys who didn't fit his culture leave, and essentially gutting his team left us in a bind. He also insisted on going hurry-up all the time, even in moments in the game where clock management was critical. I can think of several first halves that should've ended with us either scoring in the final seconds, or punting but leaving them no time do any damage. Instead, we ran hurry up on 3 plays, burned like :15 off the clock, punted from our own 5 and gave the other team points. I get that he'd be the polar opposite of JM in that regard, but bad clock management is bad clock management, regardless of which extreme you go.

Third, as ridiculous as it was, there was a perception of him as not liking black players. In a world where seemingly everything is "racist", I have to wonder how much that card would be played against us.

And the last point is with regards to defense. That 2010 Auburn defense was not that great. And they stopped his offense cold. The SEC is still a defense centered conference, and our path to titles is going to run through two heavily defensive minded coaches.

Again, I will take him, and do think he's a big name splash that we need. Just some counter concerns.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to throw out some balance on Kelly.

The NCAA thing in itself isn't one of my chief concerns. Definitely not ideal, and will be used against him regularly, but I think that can be gotten around. That said, the P12 isn't the cutthroat industry that is SEC coaching. I think people largely looked the other way until he started really affecting Usc(flipping D Thomas). He won't be afforded that here. This is a tattle tale league, and the moment Ala, ut or uga are burned, they'll be making accusations.

A bigger concern for me, however, is his time in Philly. Not sure non-Eagles fans watched him with as much scrutiny as we did. He did some good things, and definitely wasn't a failure. But at UF, we've spent the last 7 years loathing the stubborn mindset of our coaches. Kelly, despite having more success, is probably twice as stubborn. His personnel moves(Kiko Alonso for McCoy doesn't make sense in any universe), letting guys who didn't fit his culture leave, and essentially gutting his team left us in a bind. He also insisted on going hurry-up all the time, even in moments in the game where clock management was critical. I can think of several first halves that should've ended with us either scoring in the final seconds, or punting but leaving them no time do any damage. Instead, we ran hurry up on 3 plays, burned like :15 off the clock, punted from our own 5 and gave the other team points. I get that he'd be the polar opposite of JM in that regard, but bad clock management is bad clock management, regardless of which extreme you go.

Third, as ridiculous as it was, there was a perception of him as not liking black players. In a world where seemingly everything is "racist", I have to wonder how much that card would be played against us.

And the last point is with regards to defense. That 2010 Auburn defense was not that great. And they stopped his offense cold. The SEC is still a defense centered conference, and our path to titles is going to run through two heavily defensive minded coaches.

Again, I will take him, and do think he's a big name splash that we need. Just some counter concerns.

Great insight. The older they are, the more tainted they are when they come in.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine the buzz: Recruiting of skill players would skyrocket. Season tickets would sell out in about 90 seconds. Every DC in the SEC would suffer an instant colon seizure.

The prospect of having Gator football actually be entertaining again would create a spontaneous parade in Gainesville, even before he coached his first game. People would spill into the streets celebrating all night long.
This is some serious truth right here.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF working on a deal with Frito Lay right now in the possibility that Chip comes to UF?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a legitimate concern... but...

first- Auburn wasn't that bad. What they were was a THIN defense. They had a great front 4, but no depth. So they tired down. Obviously, after a month off, they had people healed up and no need to rotate the deep into the guys who weren't ready or weren't talented.

second- he isn't the same dude he was. he had to change the offense a bunch in the NFL, including adding more passing.

I will add that the same concern-- will it work vs SEC defenses ?-- are present with Frost. However, Kelly would add instant credibility, even more than Frost. He will get a much higher base, be able to command more for his staff, bring a better staff with him.

Frankly, I still have trouble believing it. It just isn't the UAA that we know. I imagine Fooley packing up and leaving the building in protest, with his file for his recommendation Hudspeth from LaLa, still in his hand.

Kelly has been in the NFL and been at Oregon. He has had all the state of the art facilities and the huge staffs with dozens of QAs doing every single thing and preparing for upcoming opponents to perfection. If he comes, no doubt he has already demanded that he gets what he needs to win.

What a coup if he does.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
It's a legitimate concern... but...

first- Auburn wasn't that bad. What they were was a THIN defense. They had a great front 4, but no depth. So they tired down. Obviously, after a month off, they had people healed up and no need to rotate the deep into the guys who weren't ready or weren't talented.

second- he isn't the same dude he was. he had to change the offense a bunch in the NFL, including adding more passing.

I will add that the same concern-- will it work vs SEC defenses ?-- are present with Frost. However, Kelly would add instant credibility, even more than Frost. He will get a much higher base, be able to command more for his staff, bring a better staff with him.

Frankly, I still have trouble believing it. It just isn't the UAA that we know. I imagine Fooley packing up and leaving the building in protest, with his file for his recommendation Hudspeth from LaLa, still in his hand.

Kelly has been in the NFL and been at Oregon. He has had all the state of the art facilities and the huge staffs with dozens of QAs doing every single thing and preparing for upcoming opponents to perfection. If he comes, no doubt he has already demanded that he gets what he needs to win.

What a coup if he does.

Objectively there are a lot of good reasons for it to happen, for both Kelly and UF, but I just have a hard time seeing it come together.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Objectively there are a lot of good reasons for it to happen, for both Kelly and UF, but I just have a hard time seeing it come together.

I've been pinching myself for an hour making sure I'm not dreaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator