Thoughts on Thompson as HBack/TE

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Jordan Scarlett had issues as a freshman.... seems to be doing ok.

Look, I don't know if Thompson will get better or not, but remember he was a WR who moved to RB as a soph. So, he only had one season of juco coaching when he arrived on campus.

He was also a guy who lost the ball extending too much trying to get that extra yard or two. Omarius Hines was like that too. Sometimes they have to be coached to just go down rather than get out of control or get held up and hit by multiple dudes some of whom are ripping or putting their helmet on the ball.
Jordan Reed also comes to mind as fumbling a time or two trying to get extra yards

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jordan Scarlett had issues as a freshman.... seems to be doing ok.

Look, I don't know if Thompson will get better or not, but remember he was a WR who moved to RB as a soph. So, he only had one season of juco coaching when he arrived on campus.

He was also a guy who lost the ball extending too much trying to get that extra yard or two. Omarius Hines was like that too. Sometimes they have to be coached to just go down rather than get out of control or get held up and hit by multiple dudes some of whom are ripping or putting their helmet on the ball.

Agree. I also think the RB rotation was very, very, very poorly handled last year (for example, on the FIRST drive in the FIRST game of the season....they played ALL FOUR of the RBs. When Perine came in, a true freshman, he fumbled on his very first attempt. WTF?). I think those guys were jockying for their spot in the rotation and w/ Thompson having to adjust to SEC play it was too much (him trying to extend plays and the level of competition). Hopefully he settles down and becomes a solid back. I expect the 3 we have to get a bulk of the carries and - maybe - one of the true freshman will play, but they won't make much of an impact. Teams need 3 solid RBs in the SEC and Thompson is one of our 3. If he have any injuries at the position one of the freshman will have to step up. Also, we still don't know if Scarlett has learned to block anybody. I'm glad we have a new RB coach AND they can bounce stuff off their old RB coach if needed.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
John L. Williams was an OUTSTANDING tailback but sucked it up and moved to FB and it worked out extremely well for him. Had an outstanding NFL career as a FB. I think Thompson to FB/HB would be good, IF the offense lent itself to it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
John L. Williams was an OUTSTANDING tailback but sucked it up and moved to FB and it worked out extremely well for him. Had an outstanding NFL career as a FB. I think Thompson to FB/HB would be good, IF the offense lent itself to it.

If Mike Shanahan was our OC and it was 1984 I'd agree w/ you....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We don't play a FB, except in goalline situations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The most gut wrenching fumble and loss ever!
If he hadn't fumbled, we would have had first and ten from the 15 or so, while 8 points down. Given that we hadn't been able to score all day, actually all year, I have no idea why anyone thought we would have scored twice (TD and 2 point conversion) or three times to win had Reed not fumbled.

What is gut wrenching is that we hired and retained a coach that didn't bother trying to score until the 4th quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.