Today is December 7th a "Day of Infamy"

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
My flag is flying. Unlike January 6th, today and 9/11 were truly horrendous and should always be remembered.
Pearl Harbor GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Go watch the episode of "Drain the Oceans" regarding the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Really interesting with a twist.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I grew up going to games with an old friend of my grandfather who was a Pearl Harbor survivor. Was always fascinated with his stories in general. Toughest generation.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Toughest generation.
I must agree. My dad was in the Pacific USMC. And because he was behind the wire his DD214 said no combat...which was total BS. Times have changed

Look at old movies at the "lack" of ribbons then compared to today.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The left believes we were cultural appropriators forcing freedom and democracy down the throats of the people led by great leaders like Hitler and Hirohito.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The left believes we were cultural appropriators forcing freedom and democracy down the throats of the people led by great leaders like Hitler and Hirohito.
They also think Facsists are far right. The DNC is by definition Facsist.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Visiting Pearl a few years ago, specifically the Submariners ring of honor as well as the USS Arizona memorial, gave me a much deeper appreciation for what happened that day. Gotta say.. must have been a lot of dust in the air that day I visited. ;)

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Visiting Pearl a few years ago, specifically the Submariners ring of honor as well as the USS Arizona memorial, gave me a much deeper appreciation for what happened that day. Gotta say.. must have been a lot of dust in the air that day I visited. ;)
Same for me a few years ago when I went to Arlington, VA. Jareed took me to view the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Horrible dust...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Our flag is not flying on this Day of Infamy.

It's raining outside. But it's up on the dry days.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Same for me a few years ago when I went to Arlington, VA. Jareed took me to view the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Horrible dust...

When we visited the cemetery it was raining but it really set the mood for this photo that I took.

Arlington.jpg

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

TV series (maybe Smithsonian Channel?) few years ago called "Hell Below". First season had episodes focusing on Mush Morton and Dick O'Kane. Really, REALLY, good. Other good episodes too, but those stand out in my memory.

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
TV series (maybe Smithsonian Channel?) few years ago called "Hell Below". First season had episodes focusing on Mush Morton and Dick O'Kane. Really, REALLY, good. Other good episodes too, but those stand out in my memory.

Alex.

There were some mind blowing stories of various captains and XOs knowingly going down with the ship so to speak.
Unspeakable tragedies but just incredible acts of heroism.
Makes me really wonder if I could have ever done the same... I'd like to think so, but...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
One other thing - I always thought he (Roosevelt) said ..."a day which will live in infamy..".

Turns out:

The President Requests War Declaration 125 ( "December 7, 1941 A Date Which Will Live in Infamy" Address to the Congress Asking That a State of War Be Declared Between the United States and Japan. December 8, 1941

"Mr. Vice President, and Mr. Speaker, and Members of the Senate and House of Representatives:

YESTERDAY, December 7, 1941 a date which will live in infamy the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Arlington is awesome. I hope to make Normandy some day.

We went to the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville 11+ years ago, it wasn’t fully completed. The wall of names following the flight path upside down at 563 mph and the rock in the field were the impact happened. Absolutely gut wrenching. Want to get to ground zero one day soon as well.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Arlington is awesome. I hope to make Normandy some day.

We went to the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville 11+ years ago, it wasn’t fully completed. The wall of names following the flight path upside down at 563 mph and the rock in the field were the impact happened. Absolutely gut wrenching. Want to get to ground zero one day soon as well.
I’ve been to Normandy; it’s an amazing experience.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My granddaddy enlisted with the Navy right after Pearl Harbor and spent his time in the New Hebrides. He was 28, married with two young daughters. He always said it was his duty to serve. I have the utmost respect for the men and women of his generation and the sacrifices they made. It is painful to see the nation that turned the tide in the war and did so much for its own citizenry, as well as many abroad, find itself under attack from within by the same ideologies that it defeated in Europe. With God’s Grace and the same resolve we can overcome once more…but will we? It hurts to think in those terms especially after all the sacrifices that began on this day in 1941.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
My granddaddy enlisted with the Navy right after Pearl Harbor and spent his time in the New Hebrides. He was 28, married with two young daughters. He always said it was his duty to serve. I have the utmost respect for the men and women of his generation and the sacrifices they made. It is painful to see the nation that turned the tide in the war and did so much for its own citizenry, as well as many abroad, find itself under attack from within by the same ideologies that it defeated in Europe. With God’s Grace and the same resolve we can overcome once more…but will we? It hurts to think in those terms especially after all the sacrifices that began on this day in 1941.
Cover,
I am sad to say we live in a different America. My son used to say, "It's not Grandpa's Marine Corps" when he was in.

Toward the end of the war, my father flew tail gunner with the Air Corps on his "free time".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.