Toney’s place in the offense

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess he'd have to have a Percy type to know for sure. Toney isn't that guy right now. Maybe closer to Demps and the other small back ("Time to die!") whose name escapes me at the moment (58 year old brain freeze). Seems Mullen needs that true dual threat guy for his system to be very effective. We don't have him at the moment and for as much as Frank's has shown a little more growth and improvement, he is still more inconsistent, particularly in the mental aspects, than what we need to be better than we are from the QB position. A guy like Prescott would be great (kinda in the mold of Timmy a bit), but I find myself hoping EJ or the commit will eventually provide what's needed from the QB. More wait and see. In the mean time, the best things that can happen is to shore up the OL and the D. We may not be great in the next two to three seasons as we await the QB to arrive, but we would be a helluva lot more competitive.

Last thought is how the passing games these days seem to focus on the short stuff from the hash to the sidelines or the wide verticals that often rely on the back shoulder throws. Middle of the field doesn't get used as much as I'd like to see. Like Law @Swamp Donkey often says: "Too much sideways sh!t!" The best of the best seem to have the capacity to run it up your @ss and hurt your feelings.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The question it seems will be whether the leopard keeps his spots or if necessity will be the mother of invention! Whichever it is, if his team can be good enough to ever impose its will on the opposition, compete at a high level, and minimize mistakes, I think I'll be happy with the results, that is if we can be in the conversation of the elite, starting with the conference (not just division) then progressing to the top four or whatever that evolves into.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I miss that play with Percy where they lined him up in the backfield and ran the simple counter play. He would explode through the hole. Does Toney have that burst?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.