Too soon to judge DC Randy Shannon?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A lot of young players on that side of the ball so I want to say it is too soon. That said I didn't like the hire to begin with and I still don't. His DC days are behind him. We can do better. I don't mind if he just coaches LB's.

Heck I am leaning towards him doing a really good job. His defense gave up 17 points last weekend. You must win gains you can hold the opponent to 17 points.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Heck I am leaning towards him doing a really good job. His defense gave up 17 points last weekend. You must win gains you can hold the opponent to 17 points.

Well Mac is 5-10 when the opposing team scores 14 or more points.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well Mac is 5-10 when the opposing team scores 14 or more points.

By my count, UF's record with McElwain in these games is 7-10.

The losses were: 28-35, 2-27, 15-29, 7-41, 28-35, 10-31, 13-31, 16-54, 17-33, 16-17.

The wins were: 31-24, 28-27, 24-14, 20-14, 40-14, 26-20, 38-24.

So that losing when an opponent only scores 17 points seems to be an anomaly. And of course even if your stats is a knock on McElwain's offense not UF's DC which is the topic of this thread.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wish Randy would blitz more because other than Joseph our linebackers aren't very good in coverage. Whether it be man or zone
they just don't seem to have great instincts , so dropping them in coverage often leads to problems. A prime example of this is after
the targeting penalty in the 1st quarter Saturday. Johnson drops in zone, and we force a dump off pass to the back about six yards from the
first down marker. Great we force a throw short of the sticks on 3rd down, but instead of attacking the back that just caught the pass Johnson stands flat footed at the sticks and waits for the back to come to him to make the tackle. An easy conversion on 3rd and long on a simple dump pass to the back that any kid in high school could throw. It works out fine if you have a backer that will come up and make the tackle short of the distance needed to convert, but we have a tendency at times to make life easy on the opposing offense. Randy is a good coach and a fine DC, but it's obvious he is a stud or two short at every level on the defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We would die to have a 55th ranked offense. People would be acting like it was Mardi Gras.

Shannon, he is a fvkking Cane and Id be glad if he were gone tommorow, but he is the least of the problems we have ar the coordinator/HC level.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017

I'm just saying I don't think we will ever have a dominant defense with him as DC. I've thought that since the day he was hired.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Call me when the defense is 105th. Until then, the offense is the problem.

17 points isnt dominating but younshould win the game when your defense holds the other team to 17.

Agree 100%. There is no excuse to lose when you hold a team to 17 points, especially at home.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I asked this question in the box.

Who are our 3 best defensive players this year?

Now compare that to any other Gator defense you can think of.

There's your answer.

There no Dante Fowler or Sharrif Floyd, no Dominique Easley or Jonathan Bullard, no VHIII or Matt Elam, no Caleb Brantley or Jarrad Davis.

Polite and Zuniga aren't as good as Alex McCallister was, and McCallister was a primarily a situational player for us.

There is some young talent in the secondary who could turn out to be be good, but not right now.

We all knew the defense was going to take a step back this year. Their deficiencies were camoflauged by the pick sixes in the first couple of games but that was just fool's gold. How many turnovers have we forced in the last 3 games? 0?

We KNEW this was going to happen.

That's why the offense HAD to be better this season.

Alex.
I would take Polite over McCallister just because he can be used as an every down end. But your point is taken.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Shannon's scheme is no different than nuss/butters. All are outdated and will continue to be exposed against any team with a pulse! We haven't even played a top 75 offense yet and have been gashed repeatedly and that will get even worse this sat when we face a top 50 offense. I expect A&M to do whatever they want this weekend!!!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
By my count, UF's record with McElwain in these games is 7-10.

The losses were: 28-35, 2-27, 15-29, 7-41, 28-35, 10-31, 13-31, 16-54, 17-33, 16-17.

The wins were: 31-24, 28-27, 24-14, 20-14, 40-14, 26-20, 38-24.

So that losing when an opponent only scores 17 points seems to be an anomaly. And of course even if your stats is a knock on McElwain's offense not UF's DC which is the topic of this thread.

Yep that 5-10 record thing is incorrect from that article. Mac has a losing record when the other team scores 14 or more but its better than 5-10.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So we haven't played a team this year with an offense that is in the top 75 right now in yards/game and have the # 55 defense in yards/game given up. A&M is 56th coming into this game.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we all thought the D would be what it is this year...young, UNtalented, .
FIFY.

This isnt a talented defense. Unless you are talking about Weak DEs.

Some of you guys think you can just WILL things into existence. You (not specifically you MW) were trying to will the defense into not having a drop off and barring that apparently willing that they are talented but young.

This is the least talented Gator team since 1979. It is documented to be the least talented since the recruiting rankings came into existence.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
FIFY.

Some of you guys think you can just WILL things into existence. You (not specifically you MW) were trying to will the defense into not having a drop off and barring that apparently willing that they are talented but young.

This is the least talented Gator team since 1979. It is documented to be the least talented since the recruiting rankings came into existence.
I don't disagree with you at all. I still think certain players have talent and the skills. The young big guys on the line come to mind. Certain DBs have are talented. I even like Reese. These guys just need the coaches to get them to the next level. You can't even say they just need the reps to get better. You can play all the minutes in the world and still not develop due to coaching.

I guess it's a we shall see situation.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
FIFY.

Documented where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.