Too soon to judge DC Randy Shannon?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
FIFY.

This isnt a talented defense. Unless you are talking about Weak DEs.

Some of you guys think you can just WILL things into existence. You (not specifically you MW) were trying to will the defense into not having a drop off and barring that apparently willing that they are talented but young.

This is the least talented Gator team since 1979. It is documented to be the least talented since the recruiting rankings came into existence.

I have to totally agree. Youth wise, it is reminiscent of 2007, but that 2007 team had a handful of very young players that you could tell had incredible upside. This defense is extremely short on talent and not much potential in my opinion. DT's are below average, but maybe a frosh will develop in time. Serviceable ends, which is our deepest spot, No talent, no speed, no hope at LB with the current players, though some may disagree. Sure Reese is okay in a 3x3 box, but how often to LB's play in that limited space? Some of our young CB's show great potential, but when paired with just horrendous, gosh awful safety play, they will get exposed at times. I have no hope for our safeties as of now. Ball skills and route recognition are innate. See none of that yet. Not defending Randy, but the talent level is barely Sun Belt worthy. But when you have that to play with, you must scheme better, so Randy needs to step it up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's make it clear, Randy Shannon is a bend but hope to not to break defense guy. I hate them all.

He is a coCaine. I hate them all.

And yet, out of our three sucky coordinators, he sucks the least.

Is that better for everyone? Clear?

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My memory is a little hazy... go figure, but it seemed like Randy's D is about as good as his LBs go... seeing we don't have any, our struggle fits with his game. I mean that's just my memory of the 'canes and him, no names, stats or anything. Ala Donkey, you can put him in an orange and blue shirt but he's still a 'cane for gosh sake. He probably still running around in his Ibis imprinted briefs. But, he's fought with the big dogs before, lotta years and is more seasoned than our gym coach-popcorn vendor, so I'm thinking Randy's an asset than liability by comparison.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I taught 8 year olds how to successfully defend a jet sweep.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
go figure, but it seemed like Randy's D is about as good as his LBs go... seeing we don't have any, our struggle fits with his game. I mean that's just my memory of the 'canes and him, no names, stats or anything. Ala Donkey, you can put him in an orange and blue shirt but he's still a 'cane for gosh sake. He probably still running around in his Ibis imprinted briefs
This is how bad it's getting, A friend of mine, one of the true 17 Miami fans:lol:, called me the other day and left a message saying we should just promote Shannon to HC because it could help us more than we ever know....:facepalm:, then he just laughed and hung up.....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's make it clear, Randy Shannon is a bend but hope to not to break defense guy. I hate them all.

Clear. His stuff would be good with 7 man killers up front. We ain't got 'em, so...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wasn't Shannon supposed to be a big help with recruiting? How is it that a LB coach out of S. Fl can't recruit LBs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't Shannon supposed to be a big help with recruiting? How is it that a LB coach out of S. Fl can't recruit LBs.

They don't want to spend two-thirds of the game on the field bailing out the offense?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

He sucks, law. I'm not gonna be happy until you say he is one of many problems. It's kinda like saying small pancakes.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@CFBFilmRoom: Here's a look at all SEC DBs who have been targeted at 10+ yards downfield at least 10 times this season, ranked by their comp% allowed

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It's a sports forum, is it ever to soon to judge anyone? :)

Go Gators

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
@CFBFilmRoom: Here's a look at all SEC DBs who have been targeted at 10+ yards downfield at least 10 times this season, ranked by their comp% allowed

Dawson has been lucky on quite a few plays he should have been burned on but I guess its better to be lucky sometimes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He sucks, law.
You call me sir or dad. I know I wasnt around much (or at all) but I expect your mama raised you right. She put great effort and zeal into the things she did so Im sure she attacked motherhood they way she attacked her other favorite tasks.

So..... when I said he sucks the least of our three sucky coordinators, what exactly do you think that means?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I felt more comfortable after sidehat left because I always believed Randy was a pretty good DC. That being said, I think the guy is lacking horses as well as possibly being rusty or lazy. I dont see the development I expected and our guys are out of place on down after down. Is it talent or is he just not the same guy. Dont know for sure but I hope after our young guys get more time in the game Randy proves us wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.