Founding Member
Give me
Steph
Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Duncan

If I'm building a team.

My team would smash yours. Magic is 6'9 and would completely smother Curry.

Kobe is like Jordan light. Not nearly the defensive intensity.

If you're running Duncan at the five, Wilt would batter him.

LeBron historically has problems defending seven footers. He can do it. But guarding Nowitski would be a tough sell.

Durant versus Russell would be intriguing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My team would smash yours. Magic is 6'9 and would completely smother Curry.

Kobe is like Jordan light. Not nearly the defensive intensity.

If you're running Duncan at the five, Wilt would batter him.

LeBron historically has problems defending seven footers. He can do it. But guarding Nowitski would be a tough sell.

Durant versus Russell would be intriguing.
Magic wouldn't be able to keep curry in front of him and on the other curry would have plenty of help in the lane because russel and Wilt don't spread the floor. LeBron pretty much locked nowitski down last night in ot. Jordan definitely has a huge edge over Kobe. I figured I would create a small ball team to outrun and spread your team out. There would definitely be match up problems for both teams.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Magic wouldn't be able to keep curry in front of him and on the other curry would have plenty of help in the lane because russel and Wilt don't spread the floor. LeBron pretty much locked nowitski down last night in ot. Jordan definitely has a huge edge over Kobe. I figured I would create a small ball team to outrun and spread your team out. There would definitely be match up problems for both teams.

Nowitski's 37 years old! To be clear, I would want players in their prime. Not your current players against my players at their current ages. Otherwise it will be very difficult for Wilt to play in this game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nowitski's 37 years old! To be clear, I would want players in their prime. Not your current players against my players at their current ages. Otherwise it will be very difficult for Wilt to play in this game.
:lol: It was worth a shot

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Who the eff is the Vanilla Gorilla? Is it that hard to use real names?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad I wasn't the only one lol

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Google is giving me nothing but joel prizybilla as far as the vanila gorilla. He was a bum.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm good with 1-2, then I differ. My list:

1) Tim Duncan
2) Karl Malone
3) Elvin Hayes (played on a bunch of crappy teams)
4) Bob Pettit (points, rebounds off the charts)
5) Charles Barkley
6) Kevin McHale (made the most with fewest shot attempts)
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Kevin Garnett
9) Dennis Rodman
10) Dolph Schayes

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As stated in the small forward thread, McHale is nothing but an average player without Bird. I can't imagine putting him above ultra-talented players like Dirk and Garnett. Personally I'd even have Dennis Rodman above McHale. He was a game-changing player on 5 title teams. Never been another player like Dennis Rodman.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm good with 1-2, then I differ. My list:

1) Tim Duncan
2) Karl Malone
3) Elvin Hayes (played on a bunch of crappy teams)
4) Bob Pettit (points, rebounds off the charts)
5) Charles Barkley
6) Kevin McHale (made the most with fewest shot attempts)
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Kevin Garnett
9) Dennis Rodman
10) Dolph Schayes

Petit was great for his time. But I don't know how he would have weathered against the other PFs on that list. He was only about 200 pounds. Barkley, Rodman, Nowitski, etc. would have eaten him up IMO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Petit was great for his time. But I don't know how he would have weathered against the other PFs on that list. He was only about 200 pounds. Barkley, Rodman, Nowitski, etc. would have eaten him up IMO.

For that matter, Ty Cobb would probably bat under .300 facing today's 100-mphers. I think picking an alltime team is part science and part perspective. Pettit was far and away the leading man of his day at the position and so I like him higher. When I compare LeBron and Bird, I'm thinking more of a true one-on-one battle.

The other point I want to make is there seems to be a bias against some of the white guys because they do things not as flashy. Take, for example, McHale, a classic gym rat and the kind of guy who could post up any player in the league, make any pass, but not wow you with moves or power. You can't tell me Garnett had more finesse around the rim because it's not even close.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You can't tell me Garnett had more finesse around the rim because it's not even close.
Garnett could take over a game and carry a team. McHale could not.

As far as the one on one thing, I wouldn't look at it that way. Lebron could probably beat any player in history one on one, but that doesn't mean he's a better overall player. Great players make their teammates better. Lebron has a number of times literally broken down into tears on the court.

11372385_378999198976057_1496479488_n.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Garnett could take over a game and carry a team. McHale could not.

As far as the one on one thing, I wouldn't look at it that way. Lebron could probably beat any player in history one on one, but that doesn't mean he's a better overall player. Great players make their teammates better. Lebron has a number of times literally broken down into tears on the court.

11372385_378999198976057_1496479488_n.jpg

You're too young to remember McHale going off in the paint. Plus it's obvious you hate white people.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You're too young to remember McHale going off in the paint. Plus it's obvious you hate white people.
Serious question: If Bird had never come to the Celtics, is McHale a HOF player? Do you know how easy Bird made McHale's job?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question: If Bird had never come to the Celtics, is McHale a HOF player? Do you know how easy Bird made McHale's job?

You can make the argument both ways. That Garnett played on some crappy Timberwolves teams made it necessary for him to take over games. No telling how dominant McHale could have been if he wasn't surrounded by competent scorers. I just know this: The guy could post up against anyone in the league and consistently nail the jumper from 10-15.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Off topic, how do I get my Trophy Points total to go up? In spite of my consistently brilliant posts, I'm stuck at 143.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mchale was awesome and often took control of games. His game flourished wether Bird was in or out of the lineup.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mchale was awesome and often took control of games. His game flourished wether Bird was in or out of the lineup.

I pretty much feel the same. What he sucked at was style points. Whenever Garnett got a putback, it was a slam. If McHale got one, it was a boring layup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.