Recruiting Towles Transferring

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't believe it. I still don't believe we've fallen to the depths of offering zero star backup HS QBs who are otherwise going to play for a Div 3 seminary school.

As pitiful as our recruiting is, I still don't believe it.

250.00?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
And can we quit including trask when we talk about our future qb depth chart? I mean we never talked about provancha or mcgriff.
Lol. Those guys were walk ons. We're paying Trask for his services.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we would have. Grier, Harris, Del Rio, Trask, Towles, plus you guys think Franks all on the roster? 6 scholarship QB's has to be a record.

If we have all those guys, maybe Treon can finally make the move to slot

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This is an excellent decision by Towles if he has 1 year remaining. I think the kid is serviceable, which could work out for a school like UF and the way Mac wants his QB's to play. But if Towles wants guaranteed playing time he would be better suited stepping down in competition and trying to improve his prospects. But to me the lesson to be learned by Harris from this story is that it is okay and sometimes good to transfer. If Harris wants to be a QB, then he should leave b/c he is not good enough to be a high D-1 QB, nor is Mac going to cater his system to Harris. If Harris wants to stay and potentially try slot WR or even give safety a shot, we have plenty of space available at those positions.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMO Mac should pop up and grab this guy.

He would be a grad transfer who could start from day one which would give Franks or Haskins time to RS and be ready for 2017.

I know we are all hoping for Grier's return but with that being so unsure; I'd gladly take him.

There will be several QBs in similar situations as Towles to choose from.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This is exactly the type of situation that I think Mac will go looking for this off season. A transfer QB that wants to start and has some talent. Much more likely that getting a freshman recruit ala Franks starting and actually making an impact.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
re: Grier, does anyone know if he's even currently at UF for classes?

I can see him wanting to get a fresh start but he'd really be in no-man's-land going elsewhere and trying to shoehorn himself in for 6 games to get enough video for the pros.

Can't see Mac wanting to wait around for 6 games for his QB either - only if he's desperate - and Grier hasn't demonstrated any leadership capabilities to make it worth the wait.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Is he better than Harris...most likely

Should we take him...hell no. Del Rio is better than Towles and any freshman probably would be as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is he better than Harris...most likely

Should we take him...hell no. Del Rio is better than Towles and any freshman probably would be as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just about ANYBODY is better than Harris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
re: Grier, does anyone know if he's even currently at UF for classes?

I can see him wanting to get a fresh start but he'd really be in no-man's-land going elsewhere and trying to shoehorn himself in for 6 games to get enough video for the pros.

Can't see Mac wanting to wait around for 6 games for his QB either - only if he's desperate - and Grier hasn't demonstrated any leadership capabilities to make it worth the wait.
If Grier decides to transfer, he has to sit out the entire year...not just 6 games.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Haskins is the exact type of player to flip late. He is committed to his home school, so if he flips late, he won't have to feel pressure the whole ride. Similar to Fowler flipping late from FSU. Not saying he would flip, but there is now smoke

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is an excellent decision by Towles if he has 1 year remaining. I think the kid is serviceable, which could work out for a school like UF and the way Mac wants his QB's to play. But if Towles wants guaranteed playing time he would be better suited stepping down in competition and trying to improve his prospects. But to me the lesson to be learned by Harris from this story is that it is okay and sometimes good to transfer. If Harris wants to be a QB, then he should leave b/c he is not good enough to be a high D-1 QB, nor is Mac going to cater his system to Harris. If Harris wants to stay and potentially try slot WR or even give safety a shot, we have plenty of space available at those positions.

My opinion - if Harris stays, he will be a CB next year, as we have a lack of CBs coming back in the spring.

I think Towles would be the perfect QB for UF next year. He is a good QB that could be great behind our improved line and with our skill players around him. Does anyone know if he is graduating or just transferring? If he does graduate, will it be in December? It would be great if he came in for spring practice.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why would Grier transfer and not Harris if Towles or a similar QB were brought in? Clearly Grier was the (much) better QB this year and was improving with a high ceiling, whereas Harris seems to have shown neither improvement or loads of potential. If anyone should be threatened that another QB is brought in for next year, it's the guy we can't score with and who is available all year, not the guy for whom we're bringing in a stop-gap.

:jerkstore:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator