Truth Takes: Beating The Cocks Makes Me Happy

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I predicted 38-21. I was wrong. We gave South Carolina two short fields and they ended up with TD drives of 48 and 39 yards after turnovers. So it ended as 38-24. It was not a perfect game, but it was definitely a Will Muschamp type game. When given the ball and urgency, his team took over seven minutes to move the ball down the field to get no points.

It was something else to be in such an empty Swamp.

Muschamp did what he wanted, win time of possession. I still remember our grand 2013 time of possession national title year. At times, our offense was great and at times, frustrating and the same could be said for our defense. Ok, the defense was more frustrating than great, but statistically a better game than I think they get credit for at first glance.

The main takeaway I have is that the biggest defenders we have against our offense is ourselves and trying to be cute. We have weapons all over the field and will continue to grow. If we didn't have barely over 20 minutes of possession, we would have put up some big numbers.

Offense
First off, there shouldn't be any question about whether this offense is the best one we've had in over a decade. This offense could end up being top 5 all-time at UF. The number of weapons are ridiculous. Obviously Trask has a supporting cast of Grimes, Pitts, and Toney, but Cope, Whittemore, and Pierce definitely are impressive pieces as well.

The top two plays of the day in my mind are that Whittemore catch and Toney's TD catch and run. Speaking of Toney, one issue he will need to address, because I am picky sometimes, is trusting his speed. Last week, he juked while behind the D and it cost him yards. On the first punt return, he juked and got caught. In both, he could have gained more yards or got a TD on both by trusting his speed. On the TD today, he trusted his speed and kept going south. Granted he needed some poor tackling help, but it had he juked, he may have helped the poor tackling. He also cost us a first down on the first drive of the second half by trying to cut instead of continuing in stride and beating the guy to the edge. It is nitpicky, I know, but I have to critique something.

Pierce's 5.7 ypc is about as good as we can ask for at the running back position in this offense and no mobile QB.

Trask had a decent run and fumbled. Then he had a great run for a first down. With all of that said, I don't need to see us with many Trask run calls. His 21 of 29 (and if you subscribe to you touch, you catch multiple drops) for 268, over 12 yards per completion, is great. Now he gets to head to College Station and face a defensive backfield that gave up over 400 to Mac Jones this week. Trask is better than Mac Jones.

The last drive is an example of what I mean by getting too cute. If we are successful with Trask throwing the rock, no reason to expose a wrinkle of Toney at RB until we need it (though it would have worked if Pitts helped seal a block on the eventual tackler).

Defense
Well, let's get this out of the way. We need to improve all over the place. Stiner needs to be perma-benched for Dean at this juncture. Took all of three plays to watch him blow one. He also was bailed out by a few bad throws/drops throughout the day. He's not alone, but perhaps the most noticeable for me.

Allowing South Carolina to go 5 of 6 on 4th down was awful. Some missed tackles were awful. Allowing two 70+ yard drives, though they yielded a combined 7 points, was unacceptable.

But, I love to go against the grain (we all know this defense isn't doing well at this time) so I'll tell you what I see that I respect about the numbers today:
  1. The may have had 36+minutes of possession, but with that, they had only 329 yards. Take away the 149 combined on their first and last drives, and it's only 180 yards the rest of the game. That's pretty good. The 180 yards for the majority of their drives.
  2. We forced four punts, two of which were three and outs, and a fumble.
  3. Two of their TD's came on short fields given by the offense, which also gave them momentum. D does need to step up there, but its at least not like we gave up 4 scoring drives of 70+ yards.
  4. We had 4 sacks.
  5. Shawn Davis is about as solid of a safety we can ask for right now.
  6. Carolina is not a great offense, but they do have Shi Smith and a RS Senior QB in Hill that has been in the system for multiple years now. We did better than Tennessee against them yards wise, and that's not nothing.
  7. Dexter, Cox, Elam, and Chatfield are doing well overall. They are young and inexperienced, which means they will be getting better.
Now, I know NO championship team has ever allowed over 20 points and 300 yards to a team that may not win a conference game. But maybe, just maybe, Florida could be the first. Good thing Bama held A&M to -450 yards today. Ok, I'm done being sarcastic. I am concerned about Mond's passing numbers from today. This defense is not good, but I think there are some things to like. Can only hope they continue to improve.

Quick Hits
  • Good to see both Hill and Kimbrough getting time, keeps McWilliams off the field.
  • Before Toney's TD, I said to my wife that Toney had the first down pre-snap as the middle of the field was open and believe me, the broadcast view doesn't do justice on how open he was when Trask hit him.
  • Trask's TD to Pitts was actually the wrong choice, but it worked out. Wright had no one on him and would have walked in. Good on him to notice where the ball was going and to make the block. Check my Twitter to see the view from the North End Zone to see just how open Wright was.
  • McPherson added 8 on his march to all-time leading scorer.
  • Dante Lang did make an appearance at DT. Would be nice to have more here. Pull a Mike Pouncey and move some backup OL for the year if necessary and you need size.
  • Toney's punt returns of 26 and 15 yards are a sign of hope in the return game that has been missing for years.
  • So MANY Georgia Tech Geoff fans doing the money thing on third downs, how about instead of that, you get loud?
  • Go re-watch kicks toward the north endzone by UF. There are Devry dropouts masquerading as Gators and/or football fans by waiving their hands while McPherson is lining up and kicking the kick. You know, the way people try to distract kickers so they miss. Same people then had to be convinced by some loud guy in the section that they should try it when Carolina was kicking, they almost don't do it until right before the kick. Unreal.
At the half, seemed like we could go on cruise control, but we couldn't. Unfortunately, we didn't have too many possession to continue to show off the offense in the second half. On the other hand, Mac playing possession was his team's undoing. Not the best we will see the Gators play this season, but we did what we had to do to win the game. Hopefully, we see Stewart return and our defense improves some more, they won't ever by 2008's defense, but they could end up better than 2007's. Time will tell.

Go Gators!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Having Champ run his 7 minute offense and still not get a score was priceless.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-3_21-6-28.png
    upload_2020-10-3_21-6-28.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 128

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good write up.....

We just seem to be unable to wrap up......

I think most of this falls on poor coaching and lack of talent at several positions.

Still, we are 2 - 0

Go Gators!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am glad you noticed that that the TD pass to Pitts on the roll right throw back left, was actually the wrong choice as well. The RB on the wheel route had no one within 50 yards of him and that should have been the target. Yes I know the result, but the process was wrong. Just like cousin Eddie's 4th quarter shyt the bed with his play calling, that shyt loses you games when it matters.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Baffling that the defense doesn't use their arms half the time when trying to tackle. Wrap up. It's not a difficult concept. Also, I really hate Grantham's scheme. I don't mind an aggressive defense, but I'm sick of undersized ends playing inside. Unfortunately, that stupidity isn't going away anytime soon.

Agree the offense tried to get too cute at times. Trask running an option is like a medium risk, low reward trick play. Good not great day for Trask because of the two turnovers. His accuracy seemed to be a bit off, but you wouldn't know it from the stats. I think he'll bounce back and have a good game next week. Last, I love how Pierce runs. Wish they'd give him more carries. They probably would have if the goofy defense could've gotten off the field in the fourth. But clearly teams don't have to bother running out the clock when leading against Muschamp.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
It looked like w played pretty well in the first half, then got a quick score in the second and hit cruise control. Everybody slacked off instead of blowing USCe out which we were poised to do. No killer instinct - nice guys don't win championships. Watching the dwags tonight they are way ahead of this team. They will fking kill us unless we get our sh!t together...fast

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gajaw bytch slapped Aubbie.......

They look dominant in the run game!

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Gajaw bytch slapped Aubbie.......

They look dominant in the run game!

They also didn’t score again in the second half...They’re gonna look dumb against Bama and we’ll beat em too

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They also didn’t score again in the second half...They’re gonna look dumb against Bama and we’ll beat em too

I like your confidence but I'm not buying right now. If we played them today, they would have had 300+ yards rushing against us....

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ya think the "not wrapping up and really tackling" has anything to do with an internal Covid fear? Just a pysch thing they have to overcome? Just wondering..

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trask's TD to Pitts was actually the wrong choice, but it worked out. Wright had no one on him and would have walked in. Good on him to notice where the ball was going and to make the block. Check my Twitter to see the view from the North End Zone to see just how open Wright was.
If its the same play I'm remembering, Wright stumbled and damn near fell down on that play as Trask was making his decision about where to throw it.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am glad you noticed that that the TD pass to Pitts on the roll right throw back left, was actually the wrong choice as well. The RB on the wheel route had no one within 50 yards of him and that should have been the target. Yes I know the result, but the process was wrong. Just like cousin Eddie's 4th quarter shyt the bed with his play calling, that shyt loses you games when it matters.

So, who’s the OC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If its the same play I'm remembering, Wright stumbled and damn near fell down on that play as Trask was making his decision about where to throw it.
I don't think that is it. I saw one too and it was much earlier. He threw into double coverage once and like quadruple coverage once too. Of course, Pitts being Pitts, it didn't matter. Maybe Trash makes different decisions if it weren't Pitts.

The one when Wright was stumbling was really a WELL designed play. Both were open and even if one kid on D had stayed home, Dan snuck two out there. I don't like some of his playbook but that was spectacular. I think Wright was so surprised he got too excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator