Truth Takes: LSU 2022 (But Not Really)

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It's amazing, last week our defense look like we were seeing improvements and this week, they look the worst they have all year. There is no question this loss is on the defense. This is a defense starting 3 former 5 stars, Pro Football Focus's top rated LB, and one of PFF's top rated pass rusher's last season. Yet, there's a narrative that being ranked in the 100's in total defense is 100% acceptable because there is absolutely no talent on the defense. That isn't true. There definitely are talent deficiencies and that's without question, but there is definitely talent. You returned basically the same defense from last year and are currently 33 spots behind that finish. For commentary about losing some players, we also gained experience, what was purported better coaching and no doubt a better MLB in Miller over Diabate. My point is, there is still enough talent to not be 13th in the SEC in total defense, there is enough talent to not give up 6 straight TD drives to start the game against a middling LSU offense and there damn sure is enough talent to not be the absolute worst 3rd down defense in the country who only got one punt due to a bad pass and failure to catch it with not a defender close.

I know there seems to be among at least 50% of the base that you can't have any expectations to even be top 100 defense because a top 15 talent composite team can't be expected to do that. Yes, there are depth issues, but at some point there needs to be some semblance of standards. I agree with Neil Blackmon, who sometimes I disagree with when he says Gators need to be patient with Napier, but need not be patient with a 100+ ranked defense which is unacceptable any year at UF.

Explain to me how a guy like Jason Marshall goes from being the top CB, if not DB, in the SEC as a true freshman in completion % against (when they were avoiding the CB on the other side as well) and the lowest passer rating against in the SEC on throws over 20 yards and now many fans are saying he has no talent when being coached by Corey Raymond. Did he lose his talent? Did he regress? Is it something else?

I'm not here to say it isn't some talent and depth. Yes, that is definitely it, but at some point there does have to be accountability. There does need to be some looking at the coaching. Players like Dean and Johnson continue to start despite being major liabilities. If we are giving up points on 7 of 8 drives, it is time to just throw in the underclassmen because they probably could not do worse. As said, we are dead last in 3rd down defense in the entire FBS. Don't tell me Vandy and Charlotte have more talent. Here's the killer thing, our last 3 game average is higher than the season average, meaning other teams have seen something and our numbers are getting worse. Our last 3 games are Eastern Washington, Mizzou, and LSU, not exactly top tier offenses despite what we made LSU look like. With Georgia, Jimbo, and Carolina on the horizon, it could get worse. Sure A&M and Carolina aren't scary offenses, but we made USF look like world beaters. A&M is on the road and Carolina has a dual threat QB.

In 2017, I pissed Steve Russell off by tweeting his Radio show asking how many 100+ ranked offenses are acceptable, and my opinion was, is and will always be 0. I don't change for defense. I'm not saying they should be top 10, but at least top 75.

I'm not calling for PT's job. I am saying we need to see changes that tell me we are building for the future. I am saying that we need to get more than a single stop due to a drop in every single game the rest of the season. I am saying that a failure to make changes should have serious questions asked both about him and the people allowing it to happen. There is no room for lack of talent to be an excuse for this year and next year the excuse being lack of experience. If it is talent this year, you get that experience immediately with young guys like Moore (who is injured and has had mixed results), Mitchell, McMillon, Collier (another former 5 star), Young, Wilcoxson, etc. and I don't mean getting a rotational back up share.

What does any of this have to do with LSU? Everything. They are an SEC team with a first year coach who lost 10 guys to the NFL and quite a few to the transfer portal including their top corner.

On Offense, we were hurting with the loss of O'Cyrus Torrence. Our running game suffered as a result. Yes, Montrell Johnson had a 39-yard TD run on a toss, but averaged 1.5 ypc outside of that (12 runs for 18 yards). ETN had less than 4 ypc. Lingard averaged over 5 ypc on 3 carries. AR did scramble well for 109 yards on 9 carries including the 81-yard TD. He at least had some sack yards to deal with. The OL didn't do too well on the last drive where we had virtually no chance to win. AR was under plenty of pressure. He was at 71% before that drive. People were bitching when he was 8/11 with a good throwaway (had 3-4 of those), a throw that hit Pearsall's hands (but a bit far in front), and a bad throw to Zanders that we still pushed the ball into the endzone. Several plays where everyone was covered and geniuses were yelling "throw". Yea, when 3 guys run routes with one triple covered and the other two double covered, "throw" is well...we will say not smart. He did enough to win. Also, I still don't know how you call an incompletion on a backwards lateral, blow the whistle, and then spot the ball there when a penalty is declined. Johnson should have been able to advance the ball (but I also would take the clock stopping). Also, the false start by White on the drive did not help.

With that said, the offense did enough to win this game. You shouldn't need to score over 35 at home to win against a team who hadn't scored 35 in a power 5 game this entire season.

For those that made it this far, thank you. I am just tired of the entire narrative we've had for every coaching staff since 2011 that you can't have any expectations ever. And that all expectations are "unrealistic", you know like not being dead f-ing last in 3rd down percentage. That it takes 3-4 years to look competent. A friend has even indicated that multiple 100+ finishes are fine and then questions might be able to be asked if still bad in year 3. There are too many examples of bad units suddenly looking competent. Look at the offense's jump in 2018 after the prevailing narrative for 2017 was "talent" and MacNuss not having it due to Muschamp. Overall, same guys then were top 30. If we had an offense like UT, it wouldn't matter because their D is only two spots ahead of ours, but Heupel has the philosophy of score points first, ask questions later. I'm not asking for a jump like that. I'm just asking to be in the 60's or 70's this year. Doing what we did last year shouldn't be considered unreasonable when we know how bad it was.

This isn't the time to give up on Nape and I think the few calling for it are definitely premature. Maybe he works out or maybe he doesn't. There are good things like how recruiting looks at the moment, but it's not how it looks in October, it is what signs in December and February and what makes it to campus. We can talk about it taking time while acknowledging that since 1957 no coach in the SEC has won a National Title at their school (which is the goal) without winning the SEC within 5 years. Only 1 took those 5, Phil Fulmer. If we want to embrace data, then that is a piece of data to remember. I'm for being patient, but not blind, blanket statement patience. Show me improvement, show me a dedication to improving starting with line up and strategy changes against UGA. Don't waste the bye week.

Go Gators!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Show me improvement, show me a dedication to improving starting with line up and strategy changes against UGA. Don't waste the bye week.

Go Gators!
Diddo.

And beat the leghumpers.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Clearly a radical change in the scheme and maybe the personnel is a must at this point. To keep running this scheme after what we have seen would be a real cause for concern with this staff and there ability to coach or come up with any credible strategy to fix this dumpster fire.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Speaking of McMillon, someone please tell that dude to change his jersey number pronto. Yes I know his last name is spelled differently, but the number "13" and the last name "McMillan" just bring back horrendous memories!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

If he’s going to make a move on Toney it needs to be this year. The problem, of course, with any wholesale change like that is that it will inevitably affect recruiting. Having to do that in year 1, during a bump class, is not good. You shouldn’t be realizing so quickly that you’ve made a terrible judgement call at a coordinator position. I’d be ok with it because he at least seemed to look the part when hired. But it will certainly put a ton of pressure on the next DC and Napier himself if he already has to do this. Not a Grantham type hire, but a bad sign nonetheless, and maybe an indication that this is all coming at him too fast.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Clearly a radical change in the scheme and maybe the personnel is a must at this point. To keep running this scheme after what we have seen would be a real cause for concern with this staff and there ability to coach or come up with any credible strategy to fix this dumpster fire.
If the players aren't working in the scheme (dead last on 3rd dwns) then change the players or the scheme.

We can't change the players, so CHANGE THE SCHEME.

Can't get any worse.

The bye week is the perfect time.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I get it Truth, and a lot of truth to it. If we're getting burned so bad in the secondary, then also should we assess what Raymond is doing? Like I've said before I am not so certain that it's scheme as leftover personnel, they don't get it, and they are going to stick with the plan. I don't know if we'll ever get the story or understand until we see a change in play, scheme, or staff. So hard to tell and leaves you scratching your head. But if this is going to eventually FLUSH the stench that was left behind, I'll cope and deal with it.

On the expectations, I've had to realign and temper those a good bit. But one half of a season is not going to get rid of the inept and outright derelection that the previous staffs over the 12-13 years we've put up with. A rebuild today is a lot different that it was in the past.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
but at some point there does have to be accountability. There does need to be some looking at the coaching. Players like Dean and Johnson continue to start despite being major liabilities. If we are giving up points on 7 of 8 drives, it is time to just throw in the underclassmen because they probably could not do worse.

Agree with the post overall (thank you). I’d just scratch ‘probably’ as I cannot conceive how anyone could do worse. We.are.bad.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks truth! Well said. I didn’t expect world beaters in Year 1, but I certainly thought we would show more signs of a promising future. Not giving up on CBN yet, but definitely would like to see some adjustments and accountability for both the players and staff.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@GatorTruth133 - Couldn't agree more; great write up. We can argue all day whether our player talent actually matches their ratings, but I think there should be no debate that collectively they should be a helluva lot better than this. I'm not really optimistic that much will get fixed during the bye week. It will probably require an off season and coaching changes.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
If he’s going to make a move on Toney it needs to be this year. The problem, of course, with any wholesale change like that is that it will inevitably affect recruiting. Having to do that in year 1, during a bump class, is not good. You shouldn’t be realizing so quickly that you’ve made a terrible judgement call at a coordinator position. I’d be ok with it because he at least seemed to look the part when hired. But it will certainly put a ton of pressure on the next DC and Napier himself if he already has to do this. Not a Grantham type hire, but a bad sign nonetheless, and maybe an indication that this is all coming at him too fast.
This makes sense to me. I don't think we should fire Toney. Too much potential to impact the recruiting class. We should fire whoever is responsible for 3rd down defense if this isn't fixed by 6th game next year. If the problem persists into next season, heads need to roll. Can't win if you can't stop em on 3rd down. Simple as that.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Remember one play LSU had 3 receivers out to the left side , the two outside guys were covered pretty good but the Safety was a good 15 yards off the inside guy , I was thinking that’s where they are going with the ball and they did. An easy 8 yard gain.
Point is we’re just making it way to easy to pass on us. I know part of that is lack of a pass rush , but part of it is our scheme. Not sure what the answer is , but I would rather see us get beat with some tight coverage over just letting them pick us apart with such soft coverage.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
"LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels accounted for six touchdowns in the Tigers’ win at Florida Saturday night. It was the first time since week three that Daniels had accounted for more than one touchdown in a game."

FML

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
"LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels accounted for six touchdowns in the Tigers’ win at Florida Saturday night. It was the first time since week three that Daniels had accounted for more than one touchdown in a game." FML
Here's a quote from CBS article.

"LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels turned in the game of his life against Florida in The Swamp. The senior signal-caller threw for 349 yards, rushed for 44 yards and accounted for six touchdowns (three passing, three rushing) in the 45-35 win over the home-standing Gators. Daniels had struggled in the passing game for the majority of the year, but the 349-yard performance was his best of the season."

FML, indeed.

This was his first game of the season where he accounted for more than 1 TD. Against the Gators, LSU scored 6 TDs in a row.
Something stinks in the swamp. I do not believe the Sh!tter was properly flushed.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_03x6WyoJFnE/TCoI7FA8DfI/AAAAAAAACx0/fU1Xm69iGpM/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/****tersFull2-1.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If the players aren't working in the scheme (dead last on 3rd dwns) then change the players or the scheme.

We can't change the players, so CHANGE THE SCHEME.

Can't get any worse.

The bye week is the perfect time.
This makes perfect sense, so we should expect Billy to do the exact opposite.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
This makes sense to me. I don't think we should fire Toney. Too much potential to impact the recruiting class. We should fire whoever is responsible for 3rd down defense if this isn't fixed by 6th game next year. If the problem persists into next season, heads need to roll. Can't win if you can't stop em on 3rd down. Simple as that.
6th game next year? Holy ****. You are generous. This needs to be fixed before the NEXT game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator