Truth Takes: Why the Gators Could Win 10 in 2018 - Part 3: Schedule

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
For your information, UF has already been 12-0 twice. 1995 and 2009, I think you meant never had a perfect season. Just busting your chops, good post.

You are correct. I can't believe I did that lol. I'll try to save some face and say 12-0 regular season, which is only '09 as there were only 11 regular season in '95 and the SEC Championship...but that's just a hail mary on my part.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I’d also trade a loss against any other team for a win at FSU. Huge game for recruiting. In fact, I’d probably trade one win overall to beat FSU. UGA and FSU look like the 2 games in which a win would make a major statement this year. That said, winning 10 games and having a good (not even great) offense would also be a material, positive statement even if we lose those 2 games.

If FSU has 3 or 4 losses, it won’t be as much a statement game, but beating them would still be huge for the program and fan base.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yea, when I heard it the week after Mac was fired (on the air by Ack), I was shocked.

I am shocked we did not here this BEFORE McElwain was fired. I don't understand why we did not read this from some JOURNALIST in the first month of his tenure, if it true.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well, here it is, looking at part 3 of why the Gators could win 10 this year. This time it's looking at our schedule, which I think is advantageous. I'll be more in depth on some more than others. I will give why I think the Gators can win these games at this point in time. Obviously, things like injuries/suspensions can have an impact.It doesn't mean that we won't drop a game we shouldn't or win one we probably shouldn't. I'm not here saying "12-0 for the first time ever". I'm saying why it's winnable and in these games, we could find 10 wins.

Good post and I do not really understand why so many around here did not understand this when I said the minimum wins with this schedule is 10 or UF did not hire the right guy and even then it may not mean UF got the right guy.

After one week it appears that LSU might be stronger than I thought and FSU might be weaker. Colorado State is worse than I thought too. Still it will be bad news for Mullen if he loses to Idaho, Colorado State, UK, Missouri, Vandy or SoCar. Winning those would give him 7 wins. Really UF should beat UTn on the road, Miss St. on the road, but that game could be lost, and LSU at home. That would get UF to 10 wins with FSU or a bowl game a possible spot to pick up wins to make up for losing any of UTn, Miss St. or LSU. And as you say even UGa is not impossible.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Good post and I do not really understand why so many around here did not understand this when I said the minimum wins with this schedule is 10 or UF did not hire the right guy and even then it may not mean UF got the right guy.

After one week it appears that LSU might be stronger than I thought and FSU might be weaker. Colorado State is worse than I thought too. Still it will be bad news for Mullen if he loses to Idaho, Colorado State, UK, Missouri, Vandy or SoCar. Winning those would give him 7 wins. Really UF should beat UTn on the road, Miss St. on the road, but that game could be lost, and LSU at home. That would get UF to 10 wins with FSU or a bowl game a possible spot to pick up wins to make up for losing any of UTn, Miss St. or LSU. And as you say even UGa is not impossible.
Since you continue to trumpet this, I’ll continue to refute it. Could? Yes. Should? With the circumstances he inherited, no. Now, if he continues to develop Franks (iffy proposition) and the OL magically learns their jobs, it would be a feather in his cap if they got to 10. But like we agreed before (even if your post feels like a retraction of our progress), this season isn’t an indictment on Mullen, one way or the other. Just the first data point.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LSU looked much better than I expected....... They look huge and strong on both lines. I had marked this a win for my Gators but I'm thinking this may be a loss at home.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Should? With the circumstances he inherited, no.

You mean a team that had won the East two of the last three years?

(even if your post feels like a retraction of our progress), this season isn’t an indictment on Mullen, one way or the other.

It is certainly NOT a retraction in progress. As I continue to say, if Mullen does not win 10, UF hired the wrong guy and IF Mullen wins 10 or more that does not even mean UF hired the right guy. The schedule just dictates that whether you like or not.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wins run second to the manner in which we play Gator football. Mullen has started his influence on Gator football and GatorNation has started being pleased. We have been so infused with CFB toxins oozed out by Mac & Mus, that it's difficult to focus on what improvement has begun. If Mullen is the correct hire, each position player will execute his role in standard ways leading to successful offensive plays, and to successful defensive plays. We need to witness this as the ongoing Mullen effect. I know many more will be watching more intently than the past years.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Wins run second to the manner in which we play Gator football. Mullen has started his influence on Gator football and GatorNation has started being pleased. We have been so infused with CFB toxins oozed out by Mac & Mus, that it's difficult to focus on what improvement has begun. If Mullen is the correct hire, each position player will execute his role in standard ways leading to successful offensive plays, and to successful defensive plays. We need to witness this as the ongoing Mullen effect. I know many more will be watching more intently than the past years.

As with all breakup and divorces, I listen to both sides and believe neither. The same thing goes for this break up too.

I listen but do not believe one way or another whether McElwain never corrected players at practice or had a terrible strength and conditioning program. I am agnostic as to whether any of these things people could not be bothered to tell us in real time are true or this is just more the King is dead, long live the King.

UF is a program that won 2 out of the last 3 East titles. UF is a program with a talented roster. To me the question remains as it has for almost a decade, can and will the coach try to score points on offense.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It only takes a slightly sluggish bloodflow from an uninspiring coach-leader to have players' edginess drop enough to render them too lax. CFB takes uphill effort, so it's easy to become ill prepared. McElame squandered talent, diffused enthusiasm. Not relying on players say so because Mac had that zen-subdued effect on us, from his pressers. He did his players injustice and thus all GatorNation injustice. He was on the way to making UF the Venezuela of CFB. :cool:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I thought we would own LSU maybe not.

I thought FSU was a lost maybe not.

I think MSU, UGA is not favoring us.

USC, Mizzou, LSU we Split.

That's 9-10 wins

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I thought we would own LSU maybe not.

I thought FSU was a lost maybe not.

I think MSU, UGA is not favoring us.

USC, Mizzou, LSU we Split.

That's 9-10 wins

To summarize a reply to everything that's been discussed on this thread today, this is a good start for me.

One question that remains to be seen is LSU that good or is Miami that bad. There are a few people I've seen that think its a mixture of the two. Richt is gonna Richt. I still think we take Carolina and Mizzou at home. Not sure what to think about #failstate yet. FSU, looks a lot worse than even I thought. I knew it was more than Francois, but damn. That VT team was playing basically new linebackers and a new secondary. You want to talk about an o-line that needs to learn their jobs and quick, it's FSU. I believe we have a better and more athletic D-Line.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You mean a team that had won the East two of the last three years?

It is certainly NOT a retraction in progress. As I continue to say, if Mullen does not win 10, UF hired the wrong guy and IF Mullen wins 10 or more that does not even mean UF hired the right guy. The schedule just dictates that whether you like or not.
I thought there was hope for you. At least Ox left the facepalm emote - expect to see it often.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
One question that remains to be seen is LSU that good or is Miami that bad.

LSU had 296 total yards and went 3 of 16 on third down. Burrow was 11 of 24 for 140 yards with no TDs.

Last year Miami had a lot of turnovers, but wasn't a great defense despite them. They ranked 38th in yards allowed per game, 72nd in yards per play, and 29th in points per game allowed. These mediocre ranking are paired with the large turnover margin they had (5th best in the Country), which obviously should have improved their stats.

LSU's defense looked good, especially against the run, which is concerning based on what Mullen wants to do. But, they gave up 259 yards passing to a mediocre Miami QB.

So, I don't think much changed about LSU based on a game where they had only one truly sustained drive for a TD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator