Vinegar or tomato based sauce?

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m partial to a vinegar based sauce. Seems to tame the fat some. As far as who has the best barbecue, I guess you’d have to have three categories: chain, family/independent, and individual.

Of the chains, there are a couple that have different offerings that I enjoy. We’ve been to Birmingham a couple of times and Jim & Nick’s had really good pulled pork (and also offered a fantastic drink selection, but I digress). Sonny’s ain’t what Sonny’s was, but their baby backs are still worth the drive when in the mood. The missus likes Four Rivers’ brisket and I’ve had the burnt ends and enjoyed them. Have to give a shout to Dreamland (the original) for the ribs. The “No Fartin’” sign adds to the ambiance.

Of the family/independents, the best ones I knew were in my hometown and are no longer in existence. Henry’s Barbecue had great ribs and if you caught him ready to close, he’d give you whatever was left for $10. Luten’s had the best barbecue pork sandwiches. They’d slow cook fresh hams on a rotisserie, slice ‘em thin and serve on toast with their sauce, which had a vinegar base. I have the recipe and do a making once a year. Best sauce I’ve had.

Individuals are too numerous to name over the years. I’ve been fortunate to have many friends that know their way around the smoker. Haven’t had any, but some of the pix @NVGator posts look very good, particularly his ribs. I say this with reservations because I don’t want his head swelling up too much!

*edit* For you @CDGator Tallahassee used to have two good joints. Fat Man’s out on the Parkway and Jim & Milt’s. We played football in Jefferson Co. in 1974 and stopped at Fat Man’s on the way home. Had a booster set us up for the AUCE chicken…which was excellent. We cleaned ‘em out! J&M’s is still going. Haven’t eaten there in a while, but it was pretty good.

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I like most all kinds of smoked meat. I don't really think Texas smoked brisket is Que. Que is pork, slow smoked and mopped with a vinegar baste, pulled apart and served on a butter toasted bun with a sweet maple/brown sugar base sauce.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
*edit* For you @CDGator Tallahassee used to have two good joints. Fat Man’s out on the Parkway and Jim & Milt’s. We played football in Jefferson Co. in 1974 and stopped at Fat Man’s on the way home. Had a booster set us up for the AUCE chicken…which was excellent. We cleaned ‘em out! J&M’s is still going. Haven’t eaten there in a while, but it was pretty good.

Hmm, never heard of either of those places. We always went to Sonny’s as a kid. Home of the Big Deal on Texas toast and with sweet tea. Oddly enough there’s a Sonny’s just down the road here. You’re right though, not the same as 30 years ago. Still love the Sonny’s sizzlin sweet sauce though.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm, never heard of either of those places. We always went to Sonny’s as a kid. Home of the Big Deal on Texas toast and with sweet tea. Oddly enough there’s a Sonny’s just down the road here. You’re right though, not the same as 30 years ago. Still love the Sonny’s sizzlin sweet sauce though.
Fat Man’s was likely out of business before your time. Jim & Milt’s is on W. Pensacola. We like both of the Sonny’s Sweets as well.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jim and Nick’s is probably the best chain. That said, I’ve developed an affinity to Bono’s. Their wings are really good.
Woodpeckers on SR 13 is about the best local joint around Jax and it’s about 3 minutes from my house. :fatnanner:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Pork screams for a vinegar sauce with pepper flake. Add some ketchup to keep the heathens at bay ;)

Sauce on brisket, it best be au jus

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Got some of the best in the nation right around the corner here. Ate the first time there in 1991 when at my alma mater as a student, 30+ years later, like the video states, nothing has changed, except they did add chicken to the menu a few years back, that's it. Mind-boggling consistency.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Fat Man’s was likely out of business before your time. Jim & Milt’s is on W. Pensacola. We like both of the Sonny’s Sweets as well.

I often walked to J&M’s as a kid. Fantastic BBQ and a great mulligan stew. There was a Chandler’s hamburger place across the street that was replaced by a Wendy’s.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Jim and Nick’s is probably the best chain. That said, I’ve developed an affinity to Bono’s. Their wings are really good.
Woodpeckers on SR 13 is about the best local joint around Jax and it’s about 3 minutes from my house. :fatnanner:

Bearded Pig is pretty good as well, the go to place to take clients for a quick lunch, but man Woodpeckers is good. Not a huge Bono’s fan but like Sonny’s is not bad in a pinch.

Loved Dreamland when I lived in Atlanta, but the one in Tally is straight trash. Never found good BBQ during my sentence there.

When I lived in Orlando I preferred Bubbaloos. There was also Uncle Jim’s trailer we’re you faced death when eating it but was worth the risk.

Mission isn’t bad for fast.

Best I ever had was still from an old guy in his pull behind trailer as a kid in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately a lot of the best joints couldn’t keep up with the chains where I grew up.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There were a couple of places in Memphis I loved, but my fav was the original Central Bar B Q over near the Liberty Bowl. Great pulled pork and smoked turkey. We used to eat there once a week.
(Would often run into John Calipari and his staff when he was the b-ball couch at U-M.) The homemade sauces were awesome.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up on Sonny’s and an occasional Bono’s. Famous Dave’s is pretty big out here. We have the Rib Cookoff out here which brings tons of choices.

Nugget Rib Cook Off

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For being in kind ofna non-BBQ area, Park Ave in PBC is surprisingly good. Several locations there.

When I was a kid we’d eat at this place in Columbia, SC whenever we’d be there for the game every other year. I don’t remember the name. I just remember it being really good and very well known.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For being in kind ofna non-BBQ area, Park Ave in PBC is surprisingly good. Several locations there.

When I was a kid we’d eat at this place in Columbia, SC whenever we’d be there for the game every other year. I don’t remember the name. I just remember it being really good and very well known.
Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ ?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There were a couple of places in Memphis I loved, but my fav was the original Central Bar B Q over near the Liberty Bowl. Great pulled pork and smoked turkey. We used to eat there once a week.
(Would often run into John Calipari and his staff when he was the b-ball couch at U-M.) The homemade sauces were awesome.

I last ate there about a month before the pandemic started. Central is definitely my top choice of bbq in Memphis. When I get the chance to eat there, I either get the ribs or nachos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator