Tuesday Favorites….Professional Team

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What’s your favorite professional sports team and why?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Braves, Hawks, Falcons because I grew up 30 miles south of Atlanta, just on the other side of the railroad tracks. Loosing is in my blood so the last 12 years is something I'm used to. Wife is a Redskins fan (born in VA) and oldest son is a Bills fan (MIL is from there) so kind of want them to do good. Wish I had a hockey team but mine always moved. Nice to see the Lightning or Sabres win but nothing that I care about. MLS is Atlanta and Orlando. Atlanta because its home town and Orlando because I lived there when they started. My last 15 years have been in either Orlando or Jax so if the Magic or Jags ever win anything it would be nice to see for those cities.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Braves, Hawks, Falcons because I grew up 30 miles south of Atlanta, just on the other side of the railroad tracks. Loosing is in my blood so the last 12 years is something I'm used to. Wife is a Redskins fan (born in VA) and oldest son is a Bills fan (MIL is from there) so kind of want them to do good. Wish I had a hockey team but mine always moved. Nice to see the Lightning or Sabres win but nothing that I care about. MLS is Atlanta and Orlando. Atlanta because its home town and Orlando because I lived there when they started. My last 15 years have been in either Orlando or Jax so if the Magic or Jags ever win anything it would be nice to see for those cities.

FYI - I lived in Clayton county (Riverdale) for a couple of years. Used to watch the Braves and Falcons. Played for the Riverdale Steelers in ‘72 and became obsessed with the Black and Gold ever since.
Fast forward to middle school in Tallahassee and I had four posters on my wall - 1. one with all the various names that Jesus was referred to, 2. Jack Lambert, 3. Terry Bradshaw and 4. Farrah (of course).

The 70’s were a great time to be a Steelers fan

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
FYI - I lived in Clayton county (Riverdale) for a couple of years. Used to watch the Braves and Falcons. Played for the Riverdale Steelers in ‘72 and became obsessed with the Black and Gold ever since.
Fast forward to middle school in Tallahassee and I had four posters on my wall - one with all the various names that Jesus was referred to, Jack Lambert, Terry Bradshaw and Farrah (of course).

The 70’s were a great time to be a Steelers fan
I'm a little behind you being an 80's kid. I was in Henry County (Stockbridge and then Eagles Landing). Very familiar with Riverdale. I probably have just as many memories of going to games at the old Atlanta-Fulton County stadium as I did the Ted. There was a KFC next door and you could get a bucket of chicken and take it into the game with you. Still haven't been to either of the new stadiums.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I used to claim the Miami Dolphins, because when I was growing up, Tampa Bay Bucs games were always blacked out on TV due to our failure to sell out the stadium. So I would watch Dan Marino play on Sundays, and I was hooked.

But my allegiance to the Dolphins fell to the wayside, when the NFL turned me off with all the kneeling and wokeness. I just stopped caring about it altogether. Now, I barely watch NFL at all. When Brady took the Bucs to the playoffs, that was the most pro football I had watched in years.

So that's where it stands. I cheer for all the Tampa teams--Bucs, Lightning, and Rays--in the most passive way possible. Just not big on pro sports, but I like it when my city has an excuse to party.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t have one anymore. Between free agency and now wokeness, it’s just not the same as it used to be. I’ll follow certain teams because they have Gators on them that I still pull for.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Cowboy fan when I was a kid and then became a Saints fan. Drew Brees was/is a class act.
Pro spots has totally turned me off. I have not watched one game this year: NBA, MLB, NFL, NASCAR, MLS...nothing.
I don't gamble and hate the WOKEness.
Do Not Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
At one time, I followed several pro football, baseball and basketball programs, but strikes, walk outs and now wokeness ran me away. I exclusively follow the Gators. I may watch other college teams, but mainly to evaluate how the Gators would fare against them. I have no patience for multi-million dollar cry-babies!

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Pirates when I was a kid, Roberto Clemente was my baseball hero. The Braves are now.

Bears and Browns when I was a child. The Bucs and Falcons now. Butkus, Bufone, Frank Ryan, Brown and Kelley were great to watch in the old days.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dolphins--Dan Marino when I was a kid in the 80s. The other Florida team was the Bucs (no Jags yet) and they were unwatchable back then. We got the Dolphin game every Sunday and it was usually exciting. Far less into NFL than I was back then. Rarely (if ever) watch a full game beginning to end. I do root for the Bucs too.

Magic--Growing up, there were no Florida teams. Everybody either pulled for Bird and the Celtics or Magic and the Lakers. I liked the fast-break showtime style so I was a Lakers fan. When Orlando got the Magic, I became a Magic fan. When the Lakers took Shaq away from Orlando (with Orlando on the cusp of a championship), I cooled on them and like them less and less until LeBron went there and now I actively root against them. Not into the NBA now. Couldn't name the Magic starting lineup. I might watch a few minutes here or there, then maybe some of the playoffs. I do root for Yiannis though.

Braves--Growing up, there were no Florida teams. Because of TBS and WGN, we could either watch the Braves or the Cubbies every day. Everybody was either Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg when we played. Atlanta was the closest so I became a Braves fan. They were terrible. This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington era. Grew less interested in MLB after graduating HS. When the Braves finally got good, I almost felt guilty rooting for them because there were so many bandwagon fans, but those teams were great. I also root for the Rays.

Don't watch hardly any NHL, but if you put a gun to my head, Red Wings and Lightning.

NASCAR--Met lots of the drivers growing up, never was a big NASCAR fan though. Liked Richard Petty, Geoff Bodine, Mark Martin, and Bill Elliot. If I had to root for a driver today, it might be Chase Elliot.

No great love for golf or tennis, but I was a big admirer of Arnold Palmer and his charitable efforts and Maria Sharipova and her tight ass.

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Dolphins--Dan Marino when I was a kid in the 80s. The other Florida team was the Bucs (no Jags yet) and they were unwatchable back then. We got the Dolphin game every Sunday and it was usually exciting. Far less into NFL than I was back then. Rarely (if ever) watch a full game beginning to end. I do root for the Bucs too.

Magic--Growing up, there were no Florida teams. Everybody either pulled for Bird and the Celtics or Magic and the Lakers. I liked the fast-break showtime style so I was a Lakers fan. When Orlando got the Magic, I became a Magic fan. When the Lakers took Shaq away from Orlando (with Orlando on the cusp of a championship), I cooled on them and like them less and less until LeBron went there and now I actively root against them. Not into the NBA now. Couldn't name the Magic starting lineup. I might watch a few minutes here or there, then maybe some of the playoffs. I do root for Yiannis though.

Braves--Growing up, there were no Florida teams. Because of TBS and WGN, we could either watch the Braves or the Cubbies every day. Everybody was either Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg when we played. Atlanta was the closest so I became a Braves fan. They were terrible. This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington era. Grew less interested in MLB after graduating HS. When the Braves finally got good, I almost felt guilty rooting for them because there were so many bandwagon fans, but those teams were great. I also root for the Rays.

Don't watch hardly any NHL, but if you put a gun to my head, Red Wings and Lightning.

NASCAR--Met lots of the drivers growing up, never was a big NASCAR fan though. Liked Richard Petty, Geoff Bodine, Mark Martin, and Bill Elliot. If I had to root for a driver today, it might be Chase Elliot.

No great love for golf or tennis, but I was a big admirer of Arnold Palmer and his charitable efforts and Maria Sharipova and her tight ass.

Alex.

My FIL was a HUGE NASCAR / Ford / Mark Martin fan.
Thus - I became one as well.
We occasionally hit Daytona and Talladega in the RV and he was a wealth of knowledge.
Hated Chevy and any driver associated with that brand.
I miss watching those races with him

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I grew up in the DC area and our teams were pretty bad - so bad one of them divorced us, moved to Texas and changed their name. Then it all changed; the Bullets won a title and a couple of years later the Redskins started a run winning three Super Bowls in nine years. Hell, even the Caps became a good - but not great - team. I moved to Atlanta in ‘87 and adopted the Braves since I really didn’t have a baseball team. They were such lovable losers in those days and then all of a sudden they turned into a great team. I was ecstatic.

And then baseball went on strike and cancelled a World Series. The World Series? Really? I started to lose interest in baseball.

The NBA was still fun to watch until it wasn’t. After the Magic/Bird era ended, I started to lose interest, other than in the Bullets however; until they stopped being the Bullets.

I tried to keep watching the NFL and hung on for awhile, despite watching the owner do his best to destroy our hometown storied franchise. Then the whole kneeling crap started, and I watched less and less. Then my team - for a second time! - bowed to the winds of PC and changed their name. So I was done with them too.

My favorite team is the Washington Capitals. I have never played hockey, hell, I can’t even skate, but my kids met Alex Ovechkin once and he was really nice to them. Is that enough explanation of why I root for a particular team?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I grew up in the DC area and our teams were pretty bad - so bad one of them divorced us, moved to Texas and changed their name. Then it all changed; the Bullets won a title and a couple of years later the Redskins started a run winning three Super Bowls in nine years. Hell, even the Caps became a good - but not great - team. I moved to Atlanta in ‘87 and adopted the Braves since I really didn’t have a baseball team. They were such lovable losers in those days and then all of a sudden they turned into a great team. I was ecstatic.

And then baseball went on strike and cancelled a World Series. The World Series? Really? I started to lose interest in baseball.

The NBA was still fun to watch until it wasn’t. After the Magic/Bird era ended, I started to lose interest, other than in the Bullets however; until they stopped being the Bullets.

I tried to keep watching the NFL and hung on for awhile, despite watching the owner do his best to destroy our hometown storied franchise. Then the whole kneeling crap started, and I watched less and less. Then my team - for a second time! - bowed to the winds of PC and changed their name. So I was done with them too.

My favorite team is the Washington Capitals. I have never played hockey, hell, I can’t even skate, but my kids met Alex Ovechkin once and he was really nice to them. Is that enough explanation of why I root for a particular team?

You could have always opted to root for the Colts and Orioles. It’s allowed in that area.
But desertion and heartache would have also followed

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hey - so do two people constitute a team?
‘cause if so, Gordon Solie and my grandfather introduced me to Mr. Wrestling 1 and 2… brutha!

55721F4D-29EB-446A-BAFF-007B995E2ADF.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You could have always opted to root for the Colts and Orioles. It’s allowed in that area.
But desertion and heartache would have also followed
My father was a DC native, and while I grew up in NoVa, I too was born in DC. A true Washingtonian, never, ever, roots for a team from Balmer. Never. Eff them. Effing Baltimorons.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So…. The Senators then??
Went to several of their games at RFK. To me it was awesome despite how bad they were. My Dad indulged us, though he used to say they weren’t the “real “ Washington Senators (the first team to abandon my home home town - thankfully prior to my birth). I hated the Rangers and especially hated them when they got good. I was happy for the Nats when they won it all, but couldn’t give them much love as they really are the Expos after all.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

I was 10 in 91 and still remember everyone going insane when they got good. Freaking cheating Twins.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Alex.

Dale Murphy is still my favorite Brave. Should be in the HOF but heaven forbid the put a guy in that didn’t hit 400 HR and finished his career at 398.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator