Tuesday Favorites….Professional Team

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Grew up with a dad who was a Dolphins fan, and still pull for them to an extent, but just couldn’t get into them like he did. December 31, 1988, I was watching the game that is now known as the Fog Bowl, between the Bears who I liked and the Eagles. Some thing about that game drew me in. Loved the green unis, the defense, Cunningham, etc. In addition, when mentioning that I was wanting to find a team, my mother had made it clear that any team was fine as long as it wasn’t the Cowboys, who of course had Herschel Walker at the time(see Mama Says thread). So when the telecasters said something about Philadelphia being an arch rival of Dallas, I knew they were my team. The first day back from break, I went straight to the school store to buy these Eagles pencils I’d seen previously. The rest is history.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Grew up with a dad who was a Dolphins fan, and still pull for them to an extent, but just couldn’t get into them like he did. December 31, 1988, I was watching the game that is now known as the Fog Bowl, between the Bears who I liked and the Eagles. Some thing about that game drew me in. Loved the green unis, the defense, Cunningham, etc. In addition, when mentioning that I was wanting to find a team, my mother had made it clear that any team was fine as long as it wasn’t the Cowboys, who of course had Herschel Walker at the time(see Mama Says thread). So when the telecasters said something about Philadelphia being an arch rival of Dallas, I knew they were my team. The first day back from break, I went straight to the school store to buy these Eagles pencils I’d seen previously. The rest is history.

Is that the game where Randall punted the ball from back near his goal line something like 150 yards?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hey
No. Almost positive that was in a dome.

Looks like it was the year after…1989 when the Iggles beat the Jints.

• Randall Cunningham’s punt officially went for 91 yards and is still the third-longest punt in the history of pro football. The longest punt ever was a 98-yarder by Steve O’Neal of the Jets back in 1969. That is followed by the 93-yarder off the foot of the Patriots’ Shawn McCarthy in 1991.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hey

Looks like it was the year after…1989 when the Iggles beat the Jints.

• Randall Cunningham’s punt officially went for 91 yards and is still the third-longest punt in the history of pro football. The longest punt ever was a 98-yarder by Steve O’Neal of the Jets back in 1969. That is followed by the 93-yarder off the foot of the Patriots’ Shawn McCarthy in 1991.

Look at that place. Everything about the Medowlands is cold. Was there as a kid in ‘86 for the Rutgers game and it was absolutely brutal.

Also, look at those beautiful green unis. Wish they would never have drifted to the current “forest green” look. Those are spectacular.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Packers because they’re the greatest pro sports franchise in history
Cubs because they’re the worst pro sports franchise in history but damn Wrigley is a fun time

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Packers because they’re the greatest pro sports franchise in history
Cubs because they’re the worst pro sports franchise in history but damn Wrigley is a fun time

Wrigley was a blast
The ChiSox stadium was a letdown

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Two other knocks on Pro-Sports
Cities with more than one team in the same sport: LA, Chi, NY
Names not staying in the cities: Cardinals, Dodgers, Colts, Hornets, Jazz (What the flip does Utah know about jazz?)
And I'll add:
Changing names (not just Pro) for WOKEness: Redskins

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Way back in the day, as in the late seventies and early eighties, I used to be a huge Cleveland Browns fan.

I am referring to the days when the Steelers dominated the NFL and the affections of the adoring media.

Most teams seemed to be intimidated by the mighty Steelers but the Browns were a hard nosed bunch that was willing to go toe to toe with them at any time.

They rarely beat them but I still admired their toughness and their resolve. I was crushed when Earnest Byner fumbled and cost them their only shot at a Super Bowl a few years later.

Technically the team I am referring to now resides in Baltimore and my interest in them ended at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator