Tuesday Favorites…cold, flu and cough medicine

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What’s your go to medicines ( or home remedy) when you are sick? What do you use for a minor cold, the flu, or a cough? Or

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont want to be babied or take a ton of medicine... I just want to take a Tylenol and sleep aide and be asleep by like 7pm.

But the wife and kids will use dayquil/nyquil caps.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
a cap of Nyqil and go to bed early, Cephacol cough drops and alot of Kleenex in the daytime

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
IV drip if one is available
Short of that - Motrin helps with the fever for me.
Believe it or not- Excedrin migraine has also helped with the aches and pains

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nyquil and Theraflu.

When things get bad, 1oz honey with 2oz wild turkey 101. Will cure what ails you!
Was going to mention this from childhood... gramma would whip up a little tupperware tub of it, but with something Hiram Walker distilled... it was delicious, and often depleted! :lol:

Today, i'd recommend going straight to a z pack! :lol:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Nyquil, to ensure sleep without coughing fits.

Dayquil if I have to deal with day coughs, runny nose, etc. But I prefer to just rely on cough drops (Ricola, always).

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I take about 4 or 5-1000MG vitamin C pills daily when it first starts then after two or three days I'll start taking less and less until I get to just 1 pill. For my sinuses I get some peppermint hard candy and chew up 2 or 3. That will usually open me up so that I can breath.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Dimetap as a kid. Grape flavor was so good. I don’t get sick as an adult, probably not in 7-8 years. But if I feel even the slightest concern of stuffiness, as mentioned above, it’s bourbon, lemon and honey.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Dimetap as a kid. Grape flavor was so good. I don’t get sick as an adult, probably not in 7-8 years. But if I feel even the slightest concern of stuffiness, as mentioned above, it’s bourbon, lemon and honey.
Dimetapp grape would ALWAYS make Lil Seedy sneeze. It was actually funny. He had laryngitis twice in a month recently and it helped him the most.

DayQuil/NyQuil is the best.
Cough medicine is hit and miss though. Honey, tea, humidifier. Whatever works.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of our team doctors a while back suggested Airborne. Seems to work for me. When I was younger I had a job delivering TVs and the guy I worked with would lay out for two days swilling vodka when he took sick. Said it worked like a charm. Seemed to take ill about every couple of weeks though.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I find a large glass (8-12 oz) of OJ every morning keeps me cold free all winter. When I forget the juice for a few days, and catch the inevitable cold, Nyquil does the trick for me. A good home remedy for sore throats is a mug of boiling water with the juice from a half a lemon and a tablespoon of honey.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I find a large glass (8-12 oz) of OJ every morning keeps me cold free all winter. When I forget the juice for a few days, and catch the inevitable cold, Nyquil does the trick for me. A good home remedy for sore throats is a mug of boiling water with the juice from a half a lemon and a tablespoon of honey.

Out of precaution, during winter months, I try to eat one of those little oranges that my kids eat at least a couple times a week. But as I’ve also talked about, raw kale and a little bit of kombucha every day makes you almost in upper proof. What doesn’t get killed by those antioxidants get wiped out with the Johnnie and wine over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.