Tuesday Favorites...Cash, check or charge?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How do you most frequently pay for every day purchases? Cash, check or charge...assuming that you aren't stealing it of course.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How do you most frequently pay for every day purchases? Cash, check or charge...assuming that you aren't stealing it of course.

You're forgetting the age of most of these posters. They ain't the Venmo generation.

They grew up in this era:

iu

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mea culpa.
Guess I could add crypto also.

I was in Boone a few days ago and a car in the parking lot had a sign painted on the back window, it read "Last Fling Before the Ring" and "Buy the Bride a Drink" and included a Venmo.

I'm thinking of painting something similar on my wife's car and putting my own Venmo on it.
$$$$$$$$$$

Alex.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I was in Boone a few days ago and a car in the parking lot had a sign painted on the back window, it read "Last Fling Before the Ring" and "Buy the Bride a Drink" and included a Venmo.

I'm thinking of painting something similar on my wife's car and putting my own Venmo on it. $$$

Alex.

Hmm, wonder if it will work?!?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Everything on the debit card...
As Dave Ramsey said - "if you can't afford to pay cash for it, you can't afford it" *

(*some exceptions apply of course - mortgage being one of them.)

This is why I have zero credit card debt - because Dave told me to.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Everything on the debit card...
As Dave Ramsey said - "if you can't afford to pay cash for it, you can't afford it" *

(*some exceptions apply of course - mortgage being one of them.)

This is why I have zero credit card debt - because Dave told me to.

Same concept except we use a credit card and pay it off monthly. I don't trust our small town bank enough to use a debit card that has immediate access to a cash account. I don't want to wait for them to investigate fraud before refunding the account.

Mastercard has been great about refunding the $3000 in airline tickets to Mexico that we didn't purchase. We also currently have a cash advance pending on a credit card we used only in Costa Rica last week that we will refuse if they let it go through.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Same concept except we use a credit card and pay it off monthly. I don't trust our small town bank enough to use a debit card that has immediate access to a cash account. I don't want to wait for them to investigate fraud before refunding the account.

Mastercard has been great about refunding the $3000 in airline tickets to Mexico that we didn't purchase. We also currently have a cash advance pending on a credit card we used only in Costa Rica last week that we will refuse if they let it go through.

that's actually smarter than what I do...
but I have been using my Best Buy card recently to get some points and then pay that off monthly, so maybe I should continue doing something along those lines.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
that's actually smarter than what I do...
but I have been using my Best Buy card recently to get some points and then pay that off monthly, so maybe I should continue doing something along those lines.

Our Mastercard gives us a rebate of 1-5% back depending on the type of purchase.
There are some great credit card benefits if you are disciplined enough to pay it off.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
As you get older, the trick is to get as much free stuff as possible. This takes a little imagination...
upload_2021-8-3_16-49-55.png

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You should ask GGG if strippers I mean, if FSU alumnae, only take cash or if they accept bitcoin, oxbucks, or cash apps.

This might actually be him in the photo, I'm not sure.

iu

Alex.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
We put everything on a Capital One Visa, including as much as we can for the business, and pay it off every month. We use the points for motel reservations and airline tickets.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everything goes through the CC. We play every game possible to maximize points.

I used to even “charge” my mortgage payment. But the fees on that technique became prohibitive about 10 years ago.

And yes, paid in full each month.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Everything I can possibly pay with my CCard. Collect at a minimum of at least $2000 of cash back every year. Pay the CCard in full every month. Cash back More than pays my electric bill every month!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MasterCard. I can’t imagine carrying enough cash to cover the gas fill-ups.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You should ask GGG if strippers I mean, if FSU alumnae, only take cash or if they accept bitcoin, oxbucks, or cash apps.

This might actually be him in the photo, I'm not sure.

iu

Alex.

I used to have that shirt. Not me in the pic, ftr.

But as others have said, cc when used responsibly only makes sense. Using debit or cash is very counterproductive. You’re already absorbing the fees a business incurs for the service he provides regardless. So not getting the benefit(points, miles, cash back) is leaving money on the table. Quick analysis will show you where the bulk of your spending comes from and you can find the exact card that maximizes that. At least one trip a year should be all but paid for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator