Tuesday Favorites....Spirits

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What would your list of "5 favorite places in Gainesville" for dinner be (doesn't have to be "fancy", just "favorites", for whatever reason)?

Understand, we don’t eat out much, so very much grain of salt here. But I’d go, Spark, Spurrier’s, P&P, Volcanic Sushi(Raman is great), That Bar and Table(right by my house). But again, we’ve eaten at those places collectively like 10-12 times this year.

edit: Bangkok Square should actually be in that list. Best Thai, I feel, in Gainesville. And notice, sadly, no Italian places mentioned.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
... And notice, sadly, no Italian places mentioned.

I gotchu fam.

There is a great little Italian place right in Butler Plaza. I'm sure you just missed it. Very authentic. It's like being back in Italy.

iu

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Somebody posted about a walnut preserve that they make in Cyprus. It's very sweet, whole preserved walnuts in syrup. The walnut is chewy and the syrup is flavored with warm spices like clove and maybe citrus peel. It has baklava notes to it. That got me thinking about a baklava inspired Old Fashioned. Hear me out.

I want to find a jar of these walnut preserves, cut one into quarters, and maybe use one of the quarters instead of the cherry, and some of the syrup instead of the simple syrup. No smoke. Shouldn't be too sweet and should give that walnut and warm spice flavor to the Old Fashioned.

Alex.
That was me on the walnut thing. I remember it being a homemade kinda thing that you only saw in rural restaurants or at peoples homes. I can't recall ever seeing it commercially packaged - but, it has been 25+ years since I was there. That's a fascinating idea you have tho. I wish we had thought of it. We did do a thing where we filled a resealable jar with local cherries, a cup of sugar, and then topped it off with the local brandy (called "Anglias" if memory serves). Put in a dark spot for six months or so and then served the cherries over vanilla ice cream. Quite decadent.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What would your list of "5 favorite places in Gainesville" for dinner be (doesn't have to be "fancy", just "favorites", for whatever reason)?
Haven't been to enough places to give you legit a top five, but NW Grill on NW 39th is a surprisingly good seafood restaurant with reasonable prices. We actually went there to celebrate Jr.s graduation last May and everyone (we had a party of 9) really enjoyed it. Decor is pretty kitschy and the furniture is a little dated.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Haven't been to enough places to give you legit a top five, but NW Grill on NW 39th is a surprisingly good seafood restaurant with reasonable prices. We actually went there to celebrate Jr.s graduation last May and everyone (we had a party of 9) really enjoyed it. Decor is pretty kitschy and the furniture is a little dated.

Still have never been there. I remember you giving it good reviews. We do buy their salmon from the market(think it’s the same owner). There are probably many good places in downtown that we’ve never eaten at, just due to location. Weekends that I’m home, I really try not to cross over/under 75.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That was me on the walnut thing. I remember it being a homemade kinda thing that you only saw in rural restaurants or at peoples homes. I can't recall ever seeing it commercially packaged - but, it has been 25+ years since I was there. That's a fascinating idea you have tho. I wish we had thought of it. We did do a thing where we filled a resealable jar with local cherries, a cup of sugar, and then topped it off with the local brandy (called "Anglias" if memory serves). Put in a dark spot for six months or so and then served the cherries over vanilla ice cream. Quite decadent.

Sour cherry preserves are very popular, called vissino. Different versions not uncommon in middle eastern groceries.

Greeks will mix this with their version of brandy called Metaxa and throw in a few cloves or cinnamon sticks, let it sit in a jar for a few months or years.

iu

The walnut is pretty rare, I haven't seen it in stores, but it does exist commercially (apparently popular in Armenia):

iu

iu

iu

iu

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Sour cherry preserves are very popular, called vissino. Different versions not uncommon in middle eastern groceries.

Greeks will mix this with their version of brandy called Metaxa and throw in a few cloves or cinnamon sticks, let it sit in a jar for a few months or years.

iu

The walnut is pretty rare, I haven't seen it in stores, but it does exist commercially (apparently popular in Armenia):

iu

iu

iu

iu

Alex.
Have you seen these for sale in the US? I'll be down in Tarpon Springs next month and may have to stop at one of the local Greek grocers.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Still have never been there. I remember you giving it good reviews. We do buy their salmon from the market(think it’s the same owner). There are probably many good places in downtown that we’ve never eaten at, just due to location. Weekends that I’m home, I really try not to cross over/under 75.
Its actually a good distance from downtown. I can't even remember how we found the place as it's in a part of town I had never been to before. Our local friend really likes the place too, but never goes there as she too lives west of 75 and never gets to that part of town. When she and her BF joined us for the graduation dinner, they found themselves asking why they never go there anymore.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Have you seen these for sale in the US? I'll be down in Tarpon Springs next month and may have to stop at one of the local Greek grocers.

Sour cherry preserves, yes. I see them in lots of Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern places.

I haven't seen the walnut preserves, but I haven't looked for them. You might find them in Tarpon. If not, there's always the internet but you're probably going to pay a premium. I imagine they're pretty rare.

If you're ever in Orlando, there's a big place called the "International Food Club" that carries all kinds of specialty items. I have a neighbor from Croatia and I got his family rose hip jelly from Croatia. I work with a Turkish professor and I got him some Turkish sausage from there. They carry halloumi, the Cypriot cheese you can grill because it doesn't melt, but I didn't get any.
Middle Eastern | Arabic | Gourmet | Food Market | Restaurant | Supermarket | International Food Club

Alex.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

that place has been great since at least 1996.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Sour cherry preserves, yes. I see them in lots of Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern places.

I haven't seen the walnut preserves, but I haven't looked for them. You might find them in Tarpon. If not, there's always the internet but you're probably going to pay a premium. I imagine they're pretty rare.

If you're ever in Orlando, there's a big place called the "International Food Club" that carries all kinds of specialty items. I have a neighbor from Croatia and I got his family rose hip jelly from Croatia. I work with a Turkish professor and I got him some Turkish sausage from there. They carry halloumi, the Cypriot cheese you can grill because it doesn't melt, but I didn't get any.
Middle Eastern | Arabic | Gourmet | Food Market | Restaurant | Supermarket | International Food Club

Alex.
Halloumi has actually become relatively easy to find in the US. Used to be much rarer. It is delicious.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
My first one of the season… now I need a name for my signature holiday cocktail. Any suggestions? IMG_2815.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.