Recruiting Two commits move up to 4* on Scout

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are people who think the number of stars these kids are rated at are everything. Stars certainly have shown to be a reasonable guide for determining who are the cream of the crop, but they've also been very wrong with many. Sometimes, you just gotta trust your coaches and their talent evaluation process. Honestly, I'd trust this coaching crew to recognize the talent they think will work within their plan a lot more than I worry over star ratings. Seems our coaches might have recognized some of these kids weren't getting the attention they deserved and got on them early. I'm ok with that.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
no, No, NO!

We're 3 star U now. With the help of so many posters here, I've just reconciled myself to this. Now this! Players moving up or down in the star rankings once their senior season actually begins????

This all very confusing to me...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Stars matter less with offensive players. On defense, they matter. The teams that compete for titles generally are filled with 4-5 stars on defense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Josh Hammond has had a great start to his senior season.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n275373 said:
God I hate star ratings.

I give this post 2 stars.

Also, it gets 3 clovers, 4 diamonds, a horseshoe. Let's see if it can move up.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So we're saying that just because some publication has given these kids another star, they're all the sudden better football players? Is that how this recruiting star rating nonsense works? Yesterday he was 3 stars, not worth our time or effort. But today.................4 stars!!!! Sign him up!!!!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n275404 said:
So we're saying that just because some publication has given these kids another star, they're all the sudden better football players? Is that how this recruiting star rating nonsense works? Yesterday he was 3 stars, not worth our time or effort. But today.................4 stars!!!! Sign him up!!!!

Actually I posted this for two reasons... one I remember a lot of people complaining about all the 3* players we were getting so hopefully this makes them happy.

The other reason is to show that our coaches have been more focused on recognizing talent than on the actual stars and the publications are catching up to what our coaches witnessed.

As far as saying stars don't matter... that is nice in theory, but the truth is that while there are 5* busts and 3* surprises and it is important to coach guys up... the teams that have better recruiting classes (based on stars) year over year generally have better teams and seasons. A lot of times the 5* guys are athletic freaks that can be coached to a hire level than a 3* guy just due to physical limitations. I'm not saying stars are everything and we should only look at stars and not evaluate the players themselves as well, but to just assume that stars mean nothing is just as ignorant.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
BNAG8R;n275403 said:
I give this post 2 stars.

Also, it gets 3 clovers, 4 diamonds, a horseshoe. Let's see if it can move up.

Does the post have a chance of increasing its star rating as more comments come in?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n275404 said:

That's exactly how it works! Don't believe me...ask Tag or Fever.
dizzy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n275415 said:
Actually I posted this for two reasons... one I remember a lot of people complaining about all the 3* players we were getting so hopefully this makes them happy.

The other reason is to show that our coaches have been more focused on recognizing talent than on the actual stars and the publications are catching up to what our coaches witnessed.

As far as saying stars don't matter... that is nice in theory, but the truth is that while there are 5* busts and 3* surprises and it is important to coach guys up... the teams that have better recruiting classes (based on stars) year over year generally have better teams and seasons. A lot of times the 5* guys are athletic freaks that can be coached to a hire level than a 3* guy just due to physical limitations. I'm not saying stars are everything and we should only look at stars and not evaluate the players themselves as well, but to just assume that stars mean nothing is just as ignorant.

Wasn't a comment intended at you, just a comment about the star rating system and recruiting in general. People are going to look at our recruiting class today with some "extra stars" and say it's a good class whereas a week ago, with fewer stars, it was just ok. What has changed? Absolutely nothing.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n275381 said:
There are people who think the number of stars these kids are rated at are everything. Stars certainly have shown to be a reasonable guide for determining who are the cream of the crop, but they've also been very wrong with many. Sometimes, you just gotta trust your coaches and their talent evaluation process. Honestly, I'd trust this coaching crew to recognize the talent they think will work within their plan a lot more than I worry over star ratings. Seems our coaches might have recognized some of these kids weren't getting the attention they deserved and got on them early. I'm ok with that.
People need to stop looking so closely at the individual star ratings to gauge whether you are doing well as a class and focus on the average as a whole if you want clearer results. Yes there are always 5 star busts and 2-3* that turn into diamonds but what you cannot argue is that if you are on the top of the rankings year in and year out in recruiting you are going to be in the top of the actual rankings year in and year out. As long as Mac gets us in the top 10 every year at worst and some top 5 years we should all be happy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think the irony is that since UF doesn't recruit 4 and 5 star players like they did easily for the past two decades, now the stars suddenly "don't matter". :rolleyes:

It's not all about the individual stars, it's about how the overall recruiting classes have taken on a noticeable talent dip, in that 4 and 5 star athletes that used to flock to Florida are currently going somewhere else. Is that debatable? It's a legitimate concern and hopefully one Mac can turn around by improving the product on the field.

But yeah, to some people the stars "don't matter" when you aren't landing any good ones.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n275465 said:
I think the irony is that since UF doesn't recruit 4 and 5 star players like they did easily for the past two decades, now the stars suddenly "don't matter". :rolleyes:

It's not all about the individual stars, it's about how the overall recruiting classes have taken on a noticeable talent dip, in that 4 and 5 star athletes that used to flock to Florida are currently going somewhere else. Is that debatable? It's a legitimate concern and hopefully one Mac can turn around by improving the product on the field.

But yeah, to some people the stars "don't matter" when you aren't landing any good ones.

I give this post one star.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Besides, adding stars does matter. It raises UF's recruiting rankings and makes the program look better. It could even influence recruits on the fence to join a rising class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.