Recruiting Two commits move up to 4* on Scout

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A 3* guy, during the summer between his junior to senior season may go to a training camp or some such extra
work to be his best for his last H.S, year ? After a game or 2 he could be observably better, couldn't he ?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Captain Sasquatch;n275421 said:
People are going to look at our recruiting class today with some "extra stars" and say it's a good class whereas a week ago, with fewer stars, it was just ok. What has changed? Absolutely nothing.

MJMGator;n275480 said:
Recruiting is a huge part of a coaches success or failure. That said, I have to trust the coaching staff to recruit the players they see fit because it's their jobs riding on the outcome. Sas has a valid point...these are the same kids today that they were yesterday except for their rating by some recruiting service. Are we now better off because that changed?

I'm a firm believer that no matter the talent level of the kid, everything hinges on the quality of the coach(es). A 5* stud can go to a school that doesn't develop him, the program likely isn't a top program and scouts hardly give him a look. A 3* kid can go to the right school, get the right coaching, and be an All-American by his senior year and maybe even drafted. If you have good coaches, they can make diamonds from coal with the right application of pressure. A bad coach can turn gold into crap in a heartbeat. With that, I'm with the others who expressed less concern over star ratings of recruits and more confidence in our staff finding the right kids to fit the program for success.

But....let's take the 'rising star' situation and flip it. What say a kid who was a 4* drops to a 3*. Are we worse off? Fundamentally, no, in that we are getting the same kid we were getting yesterday. Will some on here grab torches and pitchforks because our staff can't evaluate kids and only offer scholarships to losers on a downward trend? More than likely, yes. However, the heart of the matter remains - good coach(es) saw what they wanted and recruited the kid. Same kid yesterday as today, regardless of 3rd party opinions.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n275729 said:
A 3* kid can go to the right school, get the right coaching, and be an All-American by his senior year and maybe even drafted.

There are a ton of 3*'s playing in the NFL.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n275479 said:
I remember when stars used to get added to Notre Dame recruits simply because they committed to Notre Dame. That turned out well for them. The national media coverage of recruiting and the whole star system is embarrassing.

5 star post right there.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Perception is reality, unless you just got beat by 2-3 star Missouri, then reality is reality.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n275756 said:
There are a ton of 3*'s playing in the NFL.
And for every one, there are a thousand that aren't.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n275855 said:
Perception is reality, unless you just got beat by 2-3 star Missouri, then reality is reality.
This is the same logic that someone used with Russell Wilson - he was a 2-star, and look where he is now! Missouri won the East with three star players, then by God we'll be just fine!

We sure as eff aren't Missouri. We're the flagship university in the state of Florida - a Top 5 football destination in the entire country. We shouldn't be settling for 2 and 3 star players. Ever. It's just another example how far the bar has been lowered over the last 5 years.

The 2 and 3 star players are there for teams like Missouri.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n275859 said:
We're the flagship university in the state of Florida - a Top 5 football destination in the entire country. We shouldn't be settling for 2 and 3 star players. Ever. It's just another example how far the bar has been lowered over the last 5 years.
Yeah, some people seem to be proud that we now fight FAU, Kintucky and Purdue for players. They are generally the same people that rooted the most for Chimp and who made the most excuses for 4-8. There is probably a psychological diagnosis called Loserosis.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll take 4 and 5 stars all day. But at the end of the day you have to have the right highly rated guys. I think with Ivey, Jefferson, Calloway, Cronkite, Zuniga and Scarlett and a few of the other O-lineman, this class may have been greatly underrated. I like it better than chump's top 10 classes.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;275863 said:
Yeah, some people seem to be proud that we now fight FAU, Kintucky and Purdue for players. They are generally the same people that rooted the most for Chimp and who made the most excuses for 4-8. There is probably a psychological diagnosis called Loserosis.

I like 4/5 stars more than anybody, but what's wrong with getting a 3* if Mac likes him and can develop him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n275859 said:
This is the same logic that someone used with Russell Wilson - he was a 2-star, and look where he is now! Missouri won the East with three star players, then by God we'll be just fine!

We sure as eff aren't Missouri. We're the flagship university in the state of Florida - a Top 5 football destination in the entire country. We shouldn't be settling for 2 and 3 star players. Ever. It's just another example how far the bar has been lowered over the last 5 years.

That's not what I meant. I agree with you, we should regularly get the best, it should be normal. The perception is about the kids and how they see it. A better product on the field and seeing us attract " more stars" helps us get "more stars". But the reality is sometimes lower star kids can still beat you with good coaching. Of course, 4 and 5 star kids who are a total bust is another subject.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n275859 said:

Why do some of you get so friggin butthurt by this. Yes Mizzou won 2 East titles BECAUSE of good coaching and IN SPITE of having 2 and 3 star recruits, now they are starting to get more 4 stars, Bret Bielema will win 10 games and compete for a West division title this year at Arky with mostly 3 star recruits and is starting to get more attention from 4 and 5 star recruits....Why? Because they know how to coach AND develop players......It's as simple as that. And of course we are going to get better than Mizzou or Arky because we are closer to a higher percentage of higher caliber players...If Mac can coach like we think he can the kids will be here..........BUT DAMN, give the man some time....he's only coached one game.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n275888 said:
Why do some of you get so friggin butthurt by this. Yes Mizzou won 2 East titles BECAUSE of good coaching and IN SPITE of having 2 and 3 star recruits, now they are starting to get more 4 stars, Bret Bielema will win 10 games and compete for a West division title this year at Arky with mostly 3 star recruits and is starting to get more attention from 4 and 5 star recruits....Why? Because they know how to coach AND develop players......It's as simple as that. And of course we are going to get better than Mizzou or Arky because we are closer to a higher percentage of higher caliber players...If Mac can coach like we think he can the kids will be here..........BUT DAMN, give the man some time....he's only coached one game.

There is no time. It's September and they all sign tomorrow!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't slamming Mac. He walked into a product that had been pulled down into depths I didn't think possible. We had become a national laughingstock.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I never doubted.............

:facepalm:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n275891 said:
There is no time. It's September and they all sign tomorrow!

:facepalm: Well you'd certainly think so with all of the butthurt recruitniks flipping out about our 12th ranked class........

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah let's recruit a bunch 2 star players because Missouri's trophy case is slap full of championships. While we're at it lets find a qb that stands around 5'10" because that means he'sprobably some type of drew brees russel Westbrook hybrid.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n275884 said:
I think with Ivey,
5 star
Jefferson,
5 star
Calloway,
4 star
Cronkite,
CRONK-RITE 4 star
huh? You think he's a big part of this class?
and Scarlett
4 star

Good job, you made the point that 4 and 5 stars are important.

I agree that it is exactly the kind of class that might of saved Chimp's azz if he had done so the second he arrived on campus and realized that Creyer's last two classes had 4 OL combined.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n275885 said:
I like 4/5 stars more than anybody, but what's wrong with getting a 3* if Mac likes him and can develop him?
I don't mind, especially at the positions that require the most development ie OL, TE, DT, even QB. But I'm also not going to act like missing on top recruits is all part of our secret plan. I know he inherited a dawgsh!t sandwich, but if he is to get this ship turned around this year has to be another stellar effort. The good news is that we will have a large number of empty schollies (once we pull the walkons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.