UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
bb300b4b8379f4612fb75a4674a02a11.jpg

WISH YOU WERE. I would have taken Lane Kiffin 10 times out of 10. At least is would have been "fun" on the way down.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014

I've been on this board and the others long enough to know I don't have to explain myself to you or anybody else if I do not want to lil fella

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WISH YOU WERE. I would have taken Lane Kiffin 10 times out of 10. At least is would have been "fun" on the way down.
Stop. You lose credibility with this nonsense. BTW, there is no way down. This is bare-bottom.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have nothing positive to add and can't even think of something witty to say about this hire.
Thank goodness for Coach White and the basketball program and Coach Sullivan and the baseball program, and all the other successful coaches and programs that have top notch coaches at the helm. Why we can't have that for football, I have no idea.
:doh:

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
If you or anyone else on here can't get/see why its a good hire...no sense in attempting to explain it. and I really do not care if this opinion is popular on here or not. It's a solid hire.
can you provide factual evidence as to why this is a good hire? Remove preference, remove hope and his experience as OC....what has he done as a HC to justify you faith in him. Honest question.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So after more thought, I blame the UAA and Stricklin more and more. Not really because of the hire. I'm resigned to the fact that he may very well be the best coach that wanted to come here. The facility situation is real, and it affects recruiting and thus who wants to coach here because you need the Jimmy and Joe's. Mullen may be the only decent coach who will trust the UAA because of his relationship with Stricklin. I do like this hire better than Strong and Kiffin, but I think we missed out on some good coaches.

It's hard to say if the very public Chip Kelly pursuit turned people off or not. It seems evident that Kelly was not impressed and likely influenced Frost. It may have very well allowed Mullen to negotiate from a position of strength. I think the best we can hope for is that Mullen loads his staff with good recruiters and turns out better than Richt. We are better than where we have been, but opportunity missed.

Likewise, UT is a dumpster fire right now.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I can't believe this shyte hire. All these expectations... Kelly or Frost - and idiot Scott empties the bank to get Cousin Eddie over here (lateral move as Eddie would say). $7 MILLION for Cousin Eddie? Based on WHAT? Championships? Are we paying his bytch wife to come to this terrible town as well? $7M for a 3rd tier hire. Way to go, Scottie. :eek3:

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014

I wanted Lane just to see the meltdown on this board. But after reading the posts it couldn’t have been much worse than the meltdown currently occurring.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I have nothing positive to add and can't even think of something witty to say about this hire.
Thank goodness for Coach White and the basketball program and Coach Sullivan and the baseball program, and all the other successful coaches and programs that have top notch coaches at the helm. Why we can't have that for football, I have no idea.
:doh:
Right, I've almost run out of jokes. This Sh!t ain't funny no more. We'll drink and smoke our way through it together my Gators.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Stop. You lose credibility with this nonsense. BTW, there is no way down. This is bare-bottom.
Oh, not only can it get worse, it most likely will. UT in Knoxville (L), An improving Kentucky that should have beat us this year (L),. MSU @ MSU which will have them fired up to face their old coach with Fitzgerald new leg (L), LSU who will be ranked so that is an automatic (L) for DM based on his record against ranked teams, an improving Vandy @ Vandy (L), Georgia will be ranked, nuff said (L), Will Muschamp will be laughing saying, "Miss me yet?" (L), and Florida State will be ranked so that is an auto (L) ....I believe we go 4-8, beating Charleston Southern, Idaho, Colorado State, and MAYBE Missouri. We don't have a QB. We don't have a recruiter to get one. Our defense has been on a steady decline since WM left and hiring DC's has proven to be like solving interstellar physics for DM so that is not likely to get better.

I just have one question. What is cousin Eddie's buyout and who wants to start the GOFUNDME page to start saving up?

brittanygator

Nov 25, 2017
So after more thought, I blame the UAA and Stricklin more and more. Not really because of the hire. I'm resigned to the fact that he may very well be the best coach that wanted to come here. The facility situation is real, and it affects recruiting and thus who wants to coach here because you need the Jimmy and Joe's. Mullen may be the only decent coach who will trust the UAA because of his relationship with Stricklin. I do like this hire better than Strong and Kiffin, but I think we missed out on some good coaches.

It's hard to say if the very public Chip Kelly pursuit turned people off or not. It seems evident that Kelly was not impressed and likely influenced Frost. It may have very well allowed Mullen to negotiate from a position of strength. I think the best we can hope for is that Mullen loads his staff with good recruiters and turns out better than Richt. We are better than where we have been, but opportunity missed.

I think you totally hit the nail on the head right there. Somebody made the point earlier that if our facilities were in a totally different place, we would probably land either Kelly or Frost. Obviously, that is only speculative and we don't know that for sure but there is a good chance that that is true. I think because of where we are right now as a program, we are at a major disadvantage, and we have a poor view nationally because of it. Therefore, no Kelly or Frost. Once we got denied by both of those guys, we had to turn to the second or third tier coaches. Now, you may prefer Taggert, or Strong, or maybe you preferred Mullen, but the fact of the matter is that none of those guys were going to be a splash hire or ignite the fan base. They are all just about on the same level to me. We got what we got. Now, if we can majorly upgrade our facilities and build some consistency within our program from a win standpoint, we can be in a much better position in the future in situations like these.

ccsdk

True Gator
Nov 12, 2017

Its hard settling for less isnt it? For 7 million we could hire an army of recruiters and staff and turn Shannon into a genious!!!

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
Oh, not only can it get worse, it most likely will. UT in Knoxville (L), An improving Kentucky that should have beat us this year (L),. MSU @ MSU which will have them fired up to face their old coach with Fitzgerald new leg (L), LSU who will be ranked so that is an automatic (L) for DM based on his record against ranked teams, an improving Vandy @ Vandy (L), Georgia will be ranked, nuff said (L), Will Muschamp will be laughing saying, "Miss me yet?" (L), and Florida State will be ranked so that is an auto (L) ....I believe we go 4-8, beating Charleston Southern, Idaho, Colorado State, and MAYBE Missouri. We don't have a QB. We don't have a recruiter to get one. Our defense has been on a steady decline since WM left and hiring DC's has proven to be like solving interstellar physics for DM so that is not likely to get better.

I just have one question. What is cousin Eddie's buyout and who wants to start the GOFUNDME page to start saving up?

How much are you putting up ?

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

That argument could hold water if we had Saban as our coach. We have a piss poor roster right now. No matter who it is, its going to take a bit of time. Chris Leak is not sitting there waiting for the next savior. Or did you expect a 10 win season next year with Kelly?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Ok guys, I know Mullen wasn't the guy that any of us wanted, but we have to look at the big picture here. I truly believe he is better than Muschamp and Mac, and with the sec east being MUCH easier than the west, I think he can provide us with trips to Atlanta on a regular basis. PLEASE lets just give him a chance before we bite his head off.

I agree with you, that everybody needs to give him a chance. At this point there is no other option, it ain't like anybody on here is going to root for the Gators to lose. I am underwhelmed with the hire like most, and hope Mullen proves all us doubters wrong. But at 7 mil, he better do something fast. I couldn't believe that amount when it was announced, 7 mil can't = 8-4 every year. Next year will probably be a tough year, but we have a relatively easy schedule, he better show he can land top talent and develop it. Maybe he took Miss St to as high as they could go, but he better get UF a lot higher, if he wants to be here a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator