Recruiting UF coaches to visit 300 in-state HS's

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great to see this article/info. IMO, if we win the state of Florida in recruiting we'll have top 5 classes every year. Throw in a few out of state kids, "cherry pick" if you will...and we could have top 2 or 3 classes. Last year we signed 4 of the top 60 kids in our own state, and that is unacceptable. It's been a primary criticism for those of us who don't have our heads stuck up the new coaching staffs ass. I'm very happy to see a priority placed on in-state recruiting....and hopefully it pays off next February.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...more-than-300-in-state-high-schools-this-week

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — You want to take care of your own backyard first in recruiting, and that’s what the Gators will do this week.

The UF coaching staff hits the road Monday for the first time in the evaluation period, and they’ll be hammering the state of Florida.

The Gators hold a great amount of recruiting momentum from spring football and their SEC East championship in 2015. However, they need more playmakers to take the next step as a program, and landing in-state recruits will be the driving force behind that.

UF coach Jim McElwain wants SEC-caliber athletes in Florida to stay in their home state and play for the Gators.

“We’ve still got a long ways to go, but we’ll continue to work that in all those areas,” McElwain said of in-state recruiting on signing day. “That’s something we still need to get better at, and we’ll keep working at it.”

All nine assistants will be in a specified area each day, and they’re scheduled to visit more than 300 high schools this week to evaluate 2017, 2018 and 2019 recruits.

Here’s a breakdown of the areas they will focus on:

Monday: Central Florida and Jacksonville
Tuesday: Southwest Florida and Fort Myers, where McElwain will be speaking
Wednesday: Polk County, St. Petersburg and Tampa, where McElwain will be speaking
Thursday and Friday: South Florida and the Panhandle

On Monday, offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier and defensive line coach Chris Rumph are attending practice at IMG Academy, where they will see the likes of five-star linebacker Dylan Moses, five-star defensive end Joshua Kaindoh, three-star tight end Tre’ McKitty, four-star center Cesar Ruiz and 2018 wide receiver Brian Hightower, among many others.

The entire IMG team visited UF last week.

A big thanks to @CoachRumph @CoachMcElwain and the #Florida staff for a great experience 2day…back on the road! pic.twitter.com/pwyJRsr4wA

— IMG Academy Football (@IMGAFootball) April 21, 2016

Running backs coach Tim Skipper will stop by several schools in the Jacksonville area and visit five-star cornerback Shaun Wade (Trinity Christian) with defensive backs coach Torrian Gray, who will also see the nation’s No. 5 safety, Cyrus Fagan, at Daytona Beach Mainland.

Wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon III will attend Mainland’s practice and travel to the Atlantic Coast to check out recruits in Cocoa (four-star athlete Bruce Judson) and New Smyrna Beach (2019 Florida safety commit Jaleel McRae).

Defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and linebackers coach Randy Shannon will be in the Orlando area throughout Monday to see prospects at Apopka, Dr. Phillips (three-star linebacker Nick Smith), First Academy (five-star offensive tackle Calvin Ashley), Jones (2018 defensive end Stacy Kirby), Seminole (three-star linebacker Demarco Artis) and West Orange.

Tight ends coach Greg Nord is hitting up schools in North Central Florida and attending practice at Dunnellon, home to stud 2019 wide receiver Maurice Goolsby. Offensive line coach Mike Summers will visit linemen in Jacksonville, including Fletcher’s Cordavien Suggs, and head to South Georgia for a pair of four-star recruits in Brunswick, athlete Deejay Dallas and offensive tackle D’Antne Demery.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It will help if we can keep the staff together and not have alot of turnovers. I hope they can step up their game this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It will help if we can keep the staff together and not have alot of turnovers. I hope they can step up their game this year.

Agree, holding a coaching staff together is big for continuity. There are very few coaching staff's that remain 100% intact from one year to another (Phil Steele reports it as somewhere around 8-10 of the 120+ coaching staffs have zero turnover). We only lost 1 coach (and it was a GREAT move), so I'm fine w/ that. If Nussmeir gets a head coaching gig I imagine he could take one or two assistants w/ him. Building the relationships w/ the Florida high schools is going to pay dividends for sure.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great news. The first step to use getting elite talent again is by locking up the state of Florida

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta own FL to get back on top. This is not a secret. Four of the top 60 is almost a joke. You almost have to UN-recruit to do that.

Hopefully, the tide is turning.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm relieved that we now have a head coach that has the ability to identify problems and actually tries to fix them.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We're scouring the state for every damned 3 star diamond in the rough available.....or maybe just checking for another back up QB who isn't starting because the guy in front of him is better....:stirpot::dubster:

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
"Tight ends coach Greg Nord is hitting up schools in North Central Florida and attending practice at Dunnellon, home to stud 2019 wide receiver Maurice Goolsby. Offensive line coach Mike Summers will visit linemen in Jacksonville, including Fletcher’s Cordavien Suggs, and head to South Georgia for a pair of four-star recruits in Brunswick, athlete Deejay Dallas and offensive tackle D’Antne Demery."

So basically we shouldn't be expecting to land anybody from North Central FL and South Georgia? Got it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
"Tight ends coach Greg Nord is hitting up schools in North Central Florida and attending practice at Dunnellon, home to stud 2019 wide receiver Maurice Goolsby. Offensive line coach Mike Summers will visit linemen in Jacksonville, including Fletcher’s Cordavien Suggs, and head to South Georgia for a pair of four-star recruits in Brunswick, athlete Deejay Dallas and offensive tackle D’Antne Demery."

So basically we shouldn't be expecting to land anybody from North Central FL and South Georgia? Got it.

This staff hasn't done a good job w/ Jacksonville either. Hopefully that changes....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm relieved that we now have a head coach that has the ability to identify problems and actually tries to fix them.

Taking that thought a bit further...

For all the criticism Mac has gotten for recruiting 3*s and lacking focus on top FL talent, he MIGHT have been aiming for the audience who was within reach. It MIGHT be that UF was viewed as a train wreck that was still in clean up mode during Mac's first 16 months and top talent was not ready to believe UF was heading upward. Mac could be getting more positive feedback to indicate top talent MIGHT be within reach now.

Or maybe Mac JUST figured out the secret to recruiting success last week.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For all the criticism Mac has gotten for recruiting 3*s and lacking focus on top FL talent
There was plenty of focus on top talent. There was however a complete inability to land them, you know, because new coaches except Harbaugh and Richt aren't allowed to land top recruits.

So tired of you pumpers continuing this. You'd still be cheering Chimp if he were here and blaming it on anyone else.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
There was plenty of focus on top talent. There was however a complete inability to land them, you know, because new coaches except Harbaugh and Richt aren't allowed to land top recruits.

So tired of you pumpers continuing this. You'd still be cheering Chimp if he were here and blaming it on anyone else.

Lies! I wanted Chump gone after GSU bro.

I liked our class, and have complete trust in Mac as a recruiter and a coach. #PumpOn

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Lots of these critics have never played
the game. Never been on the field unless
they were in the band. But they know everything. Know how to recruit and know
talent. And never played one play. I suspect
Law has never played football, basketball
or baseball. But he knows more than all
the coaches put together. I think coach
Mac took a very bad situation and is
turning it around.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
300 recruits!!!!
64103180.jpg

We should be able to land two or three good ones.....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Okay!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. Atleast he acknowledged there's a problem

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
yes he did. we've got tons of problems.

but at least this b*tch ain't one of 'em.
will-muschamp.jpg

still gonna take a while to clean up the mess. if we can.
:lol: that's awful

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.