UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this part is true, in this instance, I like it (even if the new guy is just meh). Armstrong is only 29 and there are signs that he could be very good in the future. His teaching of fundamentals seems to need improvement (or his staff needs to improve on that front), but we were not schematically in ridiculous positions last year. We know the difference by watching Grantham for years doing extreme, and at times dumb, stuff. Armstrong was fairly sound, with obvious execution issues (think of the long Utah pass or the many missed tackles).

If he can learn the "coaching" part of the job more than just the scheme concepts over a year, he could turn into a very good DC and keeping him on would not have caused any problems because he is so young and they hired his prior mentor.
Not trying to be an @ss, but what signs do you see? Beyond the initial enthusiasm I’m not sure there’s a lot of consistency on display that has been good or productive beyond a play or maybe a series.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
Great, so we’re bringing in a guy who’s defense gave up a TD on 4th and 31 to lose a game to join a guy who’s defense gave up a 1st down on 4th and 17 in the last minute of the game to cost us a win against Missouri. Are we trying to accumulate every sh*tty coach in the country on our football staff.
It's a seamless transition

So Ron was at Louisiana, made their defense ok.

Toney allegedly made it better so we brought him over. Didn't work

Sandlot was a GA under Ron. Did good at a ****ty school for a short time. We make him DC

Toney and sandlot both were under Ron, both brought some of the worst defenses ever to see the field at UF. So now we bring their mentor in..

Either he takes us to the bottom of the league in defense or somewhere in the middle. Maybe. Definitely not at the top

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. But I prefer wiser and experienced beyond measure.
fail old man GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

You think he goes to the mall? I imagine he peers out his window occasionally(mostly to catch whoever keeps taking the new phone book out of his driveway each every year recently). Other than that, I doubt he’s gone anywhere since that last UF visit where the Asian trombone player spilled an entire Mr Pibb on his Dole ‘96 shirt.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You think he goes to the mall? I imagine he peers out his window occasionally(mostly to catch whoever keeps taking the new phone book out of his driveway each every year recently). Other than that, I doubt he’s gone anywhere since that last UF visit where the Asian trombone player spilled an entire Mr Pibb on his Dole ‘96 shirt.
Except for the Police chaplaincy, teaching twice a week, Bible study and counseling, ministerial support to new believers, and support for the addiction rehab program my wife and I support you are exactly correct.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Except for the Police chaplaincy, teaching twice a week, Bible study and counseling, ministerial support to new believers, and support for the addiction rehab program my wife and I support you are exactly correct.

Plus the phone books thing. You can’t let those kids(I’m guessing Mexican) get away with that.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Good for you. I admire you for those things, that's a lot. All those things on one side of the scale and hanging out here on the other. Almost balances out.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, and I agree with the comment about the state of the campus at my beloved University. Last we visited there were more Asians in the Union than Floridians and only one young woman took the time ask if she could help us. Bunch of kiosks on the Plaza to sign up for abortions and cell service.

To be clear for the folks who aren’t able to visit campus anymore, when B52 says Asians he doesn’t mean that kid from Orlando of Asian decent, he’s talking about students from countries that aren’t necessarily friends of the US.

This is the realization of the dream the administration has had for decades now it will be interesting to see if the current administration makes any changes or simply continues business as usual. I think I know the answer.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Will Harris works out. So far he's been tweeting a lot of cryptic emojis and "hahaha" then nothing happens, so I'm not sure if he's whiffing on recruits or has real things coming. I mean....I think I know, but I'm a realist leaning negative lol.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Will Harris works out. So far he's been tweeting a lot of cryptic emojis and "hahaha" then nothing happens, so I'm not sure if he's whiffing on recruits or has real things coming. I mean....I think I know, but I'm a realist leaning negative lol.
I get what you mean. Looks great but until we have some sustained good news it's hard not to lean negative.

And just when we get some good news, someone comes along and kicks us in the nutz a day or two after.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
Given how is been the last 14 years, everyone leans negative. It's been one step forward four back for too long.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
To be clear for the folks who aren’t able to visit campus anymore, when B52 says Asians he doesn’t mean that kid from Orlando of Asian decent, he’s talking about students from countries that aren’t necessarily friends of the US.

This is the realization of the dream the administration has had for decades now it will be interesting to see if the current administration makes any changes or simply continues business as usual. I think I know the answer.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about "Chicoms" as Rush would have said.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Will Harris works out. So far he's been tweeting a lot of cryptic emojis and "hahaha" then nothing happens, so I'm not sure if he's whiffing on recruits or has real things coming.
At UF we have a very long history of thinking that tweeting a lot means you're a good coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator