Founding Member
3, 2, 1

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

“Executive Head Coach”….now we’re out here just making **** up, hopefully that’s code word for Defensive Coordinator but still a D2 hire.

Took my daughter to the game Saturday and going up 13th I was floored. Between this, how ****ty the campus looks right now, the uninterested (and fat) student body and how East of campus looks like Miami meets Pasco…the good old days are gone!

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
“Executive Head Coach”….now we’re out here just making **** up, hopefully that’s code word for Defensive Coordinator but still a D2 hire.

Took my daughter to the game Saturday and going up 13th I was floored. Between this, how ****ty the campus looks right now, the uninterested (and fat) student body and how East of campus looks like Miami meets Pasco…the good old days are gone!
Gone indeed. I don't recognize the place anymore.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
How does ANY administration expect the fanbase to fund their endeavors when they're solely focused on DEI and unisex bathrooms? I hate what my university has become, and I won't be sad when my son chooses to go elsewhere.
Not sure where he’d dodge DEI better than this state, but I share your concern.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm waiting for the "BILLY MUST MAKE MAJOR CHANGES RIGHT NOW!!!!" crowd

and the "BILLY IS TOO STUBORN AND STUPID TO MAKE ANY CHANGES" crowd

to jump in to explain both sides of why this is yet another disastrous decision that dooms Gator Football forever .... 5... 4 ... 3... 2... 1...
auburn showed him the door and he needed a place to land. tater gave him one. i guess that makes it good?

in summary, you're trying way too hard.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

In the lone season under Roberts, Auburn’s defense was slightly above average in most statistics across the country.

The Tigers were 45th in total defense, allowing 357.2 yards per game, and 41st in scoring defense, allowing 22.62 points per game. Auburn’s opponents usually made their mark on the ground as the Tigers’ rushing defense surrendered 155 yards per game, which was 76th in the country.

Read some stuff on an Auburn Tigers/war eagles/plainsman site an the consensus their was good riddance with a couple people saying Roberts has a "toxic personality", sound like anybody we know?

Well yeah, what an upgrade! Form 69th to 45th. The sky is the limit with all these Sunbelt superstars.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
auburn showed him the door and he needed a place to land. tater gave him one. i guess that makes it good?

in summary, you're trying way too hard.
Not to mention rather than firing Armstrong like any rational coach would (of course only an idiot like slingblade would have hired him in the first place) ole Billy is doubling down (literally) by hiring someone else to do Armstrong’s job. Meanwhile we still don’t have an OC or ST coach.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
It’s boneheaded Billy digging in rather than admitting his mistake. He is hiring Armstrong’s replacement but forgot to fire the incompetent guy he is replacing.
If this part is true, in this instance, I like it (even if the new guy is just meh). Armstrong is only 29 and there are signs that he could be very good in the future. His teaching of fundamentals seems to need improvement (or his staff needs to improve on that front), but we were not schematically in ridiculous positions last year. We know the difference by watching Grantham for years doing extreme, and at times dumb, stuff. Armstrong was fairly sound, with obvious execution issues (think of the long Utah pass or the many missed tackles).

If he can learn the "coaching" part of the job more than just the scheme concepts over a year, he could turn into a very good DC and keeping him on would not have caused any problems because he is so young and they hired his prior mentor.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
If this part is true, in this instance, I like it (even if the new guy is just meh). Armstrong is only 29 and there are signs that he could be very good in the future. His teaching of fundamentals seems to need improvement (or his staff needs to improve on that front), but we were not schematically in ridiculous positions last year. We know the difference by watching Grantham for years doing extreme, and at times dumb, stuff. Armstrong was fairly sound, with obvious execution issues (think of the long Utah pass or the many missed tackles).

If he can learn the "coaching" part of the job more than just the scheme concepts over a year, he could turn into a very good DC and keeping him on would not have caused any problems because he is so young and they hired his prior mentor.
What, you weren't a fan of blitzes that took 14 seconds to develop?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

look, i swear im not trying to be a downer, really im not, but is the benchmark for satisfaction truly, "well, at least they lined up sensibly"? call me crazy, but that seems like a minimum starting point, not an achievement. again, i realize that compared to the last guy it is an achievement, but good grief has the bar been moved low. and isnt sandlot making over a million dollars a year? i can guarantee you i could have the defense lined up correctly for way less. i have 8 year olds currently running zone and man concepts out of a tampa 2 with exotic blitzes inserted and each one of them knows their and their teammates assignments backwards and forwards.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
look, i swear im not trying to be a downer, really im not, but is the benchmark for satisfaction truly, "well, at least they lined up sensibly"? call me crazy, but that seems like a minimum starting point, not an achievement. again, i realize that compared to the last guy it is an achievement, but good grief has the bar been moved low. and isnt sandlot making over a million dollars a year? i can guarantee you i could have the defense lined up correctly for way less. i have 8 year olds currently running zone and man concepts out of a tampa 2 with exotic blitzes inserted and each one of them knows their and their teammates assignments backwards and forwards.
We don't disagree here. I'm not paying the $, so that part is a bit irrelevant to me. Your complaint was not firing armstrong. I'm suggesting a demotion and 2-3 years to learn isn't the worst approach in this single instance. Maybe he should not have been hired, maybe it should not have lead to the dismissal of spencer and/or Raymond. But, moving forward, and as unrealistic as it seems, if Billy has 3 more years here and can roll Armstrong back into the job in 2-3 years he might actually be a best option then, even if he wasn't last year.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
K boys. The problem is the mercenary aspect of professional er, collegiate sports. The players, at least the "blue chippers" don't care where they play, just sent the NIL money and make sure they are drafted. The coaches are loyal to each other, not to the schools that hire them. Just like the NFL, once you're in the club, someone is going to make room for you on the staff. And no one, except alums and Vegas, care about who wins or loses. It is only going to get worse and the only way to return to some semblance of school loyalty is to do away with recruiting, limit athletic staff salaries to the one dollar less than the lowest paid academic staff, require all players to make the same progress toward a real (STEM) degree as regular students, and do away with athletic scholarships. None of which is going to happen.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Oh, and I agree with the comment about the state of the campus at my beloved University. Last we visited there were more Asians in the Union than Floridians and only one young woman took the time ask if she could help us. Bunch of kiosks on the Plaza to sign up for abortions and cell service.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

We don't disagree here. I'm not paying the $, so that part is a bit irrelevant to me. Your complaint was not firing armstrong. I'm suggesting a demotion and 2-3 years to learn isn't the worst approach in this single instance. Maybe he should not have been hired, maybe it should not have lead to the dismissal of spencer and/or Raymond. But, moving forward, and as unrealistic as it seems, if Billy has 3 more years here and can roll Armstrong back into the job in 2-3 years he might actually be a best option then, even if he wasn't last year.
I really didnt think Armstrong had a horrible year but it definitely looked like he was in over his head at times as well as had a older DB coach who turns out wasnt really giving much to the cause. There seems to be enough to like about Armstrong to keep him so Im kinda in the same boat as you and not immediately jumping to the 'this is so stupid' conclusion that the usual downers jump to but rather taking notes and watching to see how it turns out. Across the board on this team, not just defense, but definitely on defense we have way better talent than the performance on the field indicates so shaking up the staff to get more out of what we got is a good move and really dont have much issues with how Napier has handled the defensive side of the ball coaching this offseason.

Also, Roberts is a pretty good hire and from what I understand will be calling the plays from the booth with Armstrong on ground interacting with the players. Roberts didnt get fired from Auburn from everything I have read...its more of a mutual parting with Roberts putting some stuff out there in the public early about how it was going down at Auburn. The fans raise a rukus about him in a couple games but Freeze praised his Defense all season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator