UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If this part is true, in this instance, I like it (even if the new guy is just meh). Armstrong is only 29 and there are signs that he could be very good in the future. His teaching of fundamentals seems to need improvement (or his staff needs to improve on that front), but we were not schematically in ridiculous positions last year. We know the difference by watching Grantham for years doing extreme, and at times dumb, stuff. Armstrong was fairly sound, with obvious execution issues (think of the long Utah pass or the many missed tackles).

If he can learn the "coaching" part of the job more than just the scheme concepts over a year, he could turn into a very good DC and keeping him on would not have caused any problems because he is so young and they hired his prior mentor.
But we shouldn’t have become a place for on the job training. That’s what the G5 is for. But we hired a cowbell AD who proceeded to hire G5 level coaches and now we are where we are and fans are “okay” with hiring unqualified coordinators hoping they can be competent some day. Meanwhile the serious players are evaluating everything and everyone and firing and replacing the under performers. The fact that we still have 2 OL coaches and and the worst HC in memory pretending to also be OC and QB coach, when he can’t even count to 11 or have any clue how and when to use a timeout, is a travesty.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s start small. Tackling. We have to get better across the D, hopefully the new guy can help with that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There seems to be enough to like about Armstrong to keep him
What exactly? He was good enough to destroy Retard Billy in the spring game? Everyone does that.

Or was it just the sideline jack off?

jack off please GIF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
What exactly? He was good enough to destroy Retard Billy in the spring game? Everyone does that.

Or was it just the sideline jack off?

jack off please GIF

I dunno...I was speaking for coach and not so much my opinion. Im not in the 'everything Billy has done sucks' crowd just because Im not a fan of him anymore like the emotional ones that post here. He has done some good things but overall he is failing. Doesnt mean everything he does is bad, just means the aggregate is bad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IHe has done some good things but overall he is failing.
Name them.

Facilities.... yeah, I guess, but that isnt the HC job, it is the ADs job. He did convince the AD that we cant live in 1981 anymore.

What exactly has he done well other than lose games and recruit SLIGHTLY worse than Mullen?

I dont want to hear your emotions and hopes and dreams. I want to hear what he has objectively done.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Oh, and I agree with the comment about the state of the campus at my beloved University. Last we visited there were more Asians in the Union than Floridians and only one young woman took the time ask if she could help us. Bunch of kiosks on the Plaza to sign up for abortions and cell service.
Cell service? Damn..........

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Name them.

Facilities.... yeah, I guess, but that isnt the HC job, it is the ADs job. He did convince the AD that we cant live in 1981 anymore.

What exactly has he done well other than lose games and recruit SLIGHTLY worse than Mullen?

I dont want to hear your emotions and hopes and dreams. I want to hear what he has objectively done.
1705518536348.png

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Name them.

McElwain got the facilities, they have being "built" for 7 years. Hell, it has Mullens signature on the beams... so that's not on Napier... he was hired when they were picking the carpets and paint colors, the rest was already in place.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Name them.

Nevermind...every single thing he has done is just a big pile of poo because you seem to be caught up in the subjective emotions of it all.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Nevermind...every single thing he has done is just a big pile of poo because you seem to be caught up in the subjective emotions of it all.
Actually, all the Donk asked was for you to list the things he has done well? Seems a reasonable question.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Broken record, I realize, but it's funny how confident Billy was pre season because our D was stopping HIS offense. Did it once occur to him that his offense might not be so good? Probably not.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Let’s start small. Tackling. We have to get better across the D, hopefully the new guy can help with that.
Way too advanced to start. Gotta begin even lower.

1. Maximum # of players on field to not get a penalty? 11. 11 gives us the max chance to make a tackle.

2. Everyone look around. Make sure the other 10 on the field with you are not wearing the same number as you.

Tackling is for 1st semester, in year 2. :lmao2:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Great, so we’re bringing in a guy who’s defense gave up a TD on 4th and 31 to lose a game to join a guy who’s defense gave up a 1st down on 4th and 17 in the last minute of the game to cost us a win against Missouri. Are we trying to accumulate every sh*tty coach in the country on our football staff.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here's his list of positive accomplishments:

1. Improved initial morale from dildo dan
  2. Improved campus living conditions for players
  3. Improved meal program for players
  4. gained buy in for and built out a significant off-field support staff
  5. got a recruiting class to #3 before signing day
I think that's it. Unfortunately for tater salad, the morale is heading back towards dildo dan land, the off field support hasnt garnered any improvement on game days or with recruiting, and the #3 class evaporated into thin air despite the improved morale, living and eating conditions, and the new facilities that were being completed before he was hired. In addition, he had losing records both years and lost more in his second than first. If you evaluate that objectively I dont see how you come away with any summation besides "does less with more" than the last guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator