UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Keep or hire the one that recruited and developed O’Cyrus!
The recruiting eval was probably done by Bammer staffers and forwarded to Simple Bill when they had less risky options identified. (All recruiting is trying to identify the kid most likely to develop.) Billy was their stash. He lived off table scraps.

Remember Kirby Bangs tried to stash Stetson Bennett with Billy til he was needed too.

Does anything about our current OL staff give you confidence? eventually we'll learn not to hire guys that the Dwags fired (Sale)... eventually.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Alarm Siren GIF
This is good, really. But year 3 after damage was done in season 2? Billy was sacrificing success waiting on his right guy to hire? Happy he finally decided STs is worth some investment.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You must not have seen Philadelphia recently. They’ve really cleaned the place up and now have some of the most model citizens around.
Lol Even Philly fans know the place is a dump. You wouldn’t move your family to that hellhole for a 750K bump and you know it .

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
A former placekicker, who played at USC under head coaches Pete Carroll and Lane Kiffin in 2009 and 2010, respectively, Houston will oversee the Gators special teams operation as an analyst, meaning his hiring will not require a space on the team's on-field staff.

Florida special teams analyst Chris Couch, who has been on staff the last two seasons, will also remain with the program and work alongside Houston. Their department will handle special teams and situational football.
Not a coach, another analyst.
Not sure I share all the excitement here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not a coach, another analyst.
Not sure I share all the excitement here.

Yeah, still some redflags.

I wish he would have a session with Urban to explain to the poor nearly retarded boy the importance of special teams. Urban regularly relied on special teams to actually change the game and make up for a poor offensibe scheme (such as 2005-2006).

It was the one true weakness of Saban too. He never learned, or just calculated he would win more by focusing on other things. When he losr, it was more often than not a tight games and due to ignoring special teams.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The recruiting eval was probably done by Bammer staffers and forwarded to Simple Bill when they had less risky options identified. (All recruiting is trying to identify the kid most likely to develop.) Billy was their stash. He lived off table scraps.

Remember Kirby Bangs tried to stash Stetson Bennett with Billy til he was needed too.

Does anything about our current OL staff give you confidence? eventually we'll learn not to hire guys that the Dwags fired (Sale)... eventually.
Have you reached 10 yet?

:lol:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, still some redflags.

I wish he would have a session with Urban to explain to the poor nearly retarded boy the importance of special teams. Urban regularly relied on special teams to actually change the game and make up for a poor offensibe scheme (such as 2005-2006).

It was the one true weakness of Saban too. He never learned, or just calculated he would win more by focusing on other things. When he losr, it was more often than not a tight games and due to ignoring special teams.
When I read this post i immediately thought of this years loss to Michigan, the “kick Bama, kick” loss to Auburn, and the 9-6 loss to LSU where they missed a bunch of field goals, as games where this certainly seemed to be the case. On the other hand they’ve had some great punt and kick returners over the years and some excellent kickers. Looking for some more info I came across the below story that summarizes Saban’s highs and lows with STs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's to stop an "analyst" from coaching?

And you wouldn't share any excitement if Billy brought in Patrick Mahomes.
There are actually rules saying no contact during practice periods etc

It is stupid but there are. Practice violations, too much practice vs "voluntary" "player run" sessions (when no coaches or staff can present), were what got Rich Rod and Meatchicken put on probation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator