UF Media Day

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
This is disappointing to hear. He specifically said (in the spring) that he intended to get over 260 by the fall. If he's 252 now, that means he likely loses a few pounds during camp (right?). Very disappointing...

Maybe he decided against it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Without a doubt it's his best PC, and one of the rare times he actually looks legitimately comfortable up there. Not only did he answer their questions, he also allowed the reporters to finish their question, which was a real pet peeve of mine. I think it's obvious he's been coached up in that regard, because as the interview drug on, he reverted back to some of his old habits. I counted 11 "and yet"s, with 9 occurring in the the back stretch, and just about everyone in the last 20 minutes or so was interrupted with some form of corny joke or a rushed answer. Still light years better than the past.

I appreciate the blunt nature of his assessment, and his not making any excuses or setting the stage for not quite getting it done. Even with injuries, he essentially said that, within reason, all teams face the same challenge of keeping themselves healthy. Multiple times mentioned "putting the heat" on the team, himself and assistants. You can see that there's definitely no lack of confidence. And unlike previous years where he admittedly felt they were fighting just to survive, he expects to win this year, with this group. Talk is cheap, but I have to say I liked the energy.

It did kind of fall apart on the back half. But the first 30 minutes or so we're really good.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is disappointing to hear. He specifically said (in the spring) that he intended to get over 260 by the fall. If he's 252 now, that means he likely loses a few pounds during camp (right?). Very disappointing...

Yep he needs to be 260 plus. Maybe he wants to assure he can't be thrown back at DT again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It did kind of fall apart on the back half. But the first 30 minutes or so we're really good.

Side note. When did sportswriters become the most awkward, nerdy people on the planet? Obviously no visuals, but aside from a few, it sounded more like a Dungeons and Dragons fanclub than a football press conference.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Side note. When did sportswriters become the most awkward, nerdy people on the planet? Obviously no visuals, but aside from a few, it sounded more like a Dungeons and Dragons fanclub than a football press conference.

LMAO. The Bowl is the epitome of this.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
too bad this wasn't still around, it would be the ultimate ad for Mac....

yellawoodjpg-76c8f4ebe5881dde.jpg

and while on the topic, got to link one of the classics.....

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Well – he did say that Del Rio would have been 5-0 if he had not played him against Arkansas.

And that it was his mistake in playing him, I like a person who both recognizes and acknowledges their mistakes. That way perhaps they won't make a similar one again.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And that it was his mistake in playing him, I like a person who both recognizes and acknowledges their mistakes. That way perhaps they won't make a similar one again.
I love these project type, learn on the job coaches.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From gatorcountry:

Here are the key things he had to say.

• The first few days of practice will be a little messed up because of guys finishing school but that sort out by Saturday.
  • Like the past two years, the Gators will run split practices so that the young guys can get caught up on things before starting to work with the older guys.
  • McElwain says this year’s camp will be different a lot tougher because he wants guys to be uncomfortable. He wants to see how guys will react to the situation so the situation isn’t new to them.
  • Florida is still waiting on some things to clear up on James Robinson before he’s able to enroll at Florida.
  • At this time McElwain doesn’t expect anyone to miss the Michigan game but did say that guys still have stuff to finish up before then.
  • Rick Wells, Nick Smith and McArthur Burnett will be going through treatment this fall. Jordan Sherit will be limited while Antonio Riles and Kavaris Harkless will split reps and be limited.
  • So far the reviews are that Malik Zaire is a good teammates and is on a mission to win a lot of games.
  • To help the secondary Randy Shannon has simplified things to make it easier for the guys.
  • In year three Mac says the offensive line has dramatically improved and the running back room is real now.
  • With the 25th anniversary of the Swamp, Mac has brought in former players to help the team understand the importance of the name. Mac says “The Swamp means everything.”
  • Luke Del Rio is in the plans but the staff wants to see how he does coming off of the injury.
  • Feliepe Franks sees Zaire as another challenge and Mac believes it will elevate his game even more.
  • Mac believes the team is at the point where they have the pieces to compete for a championship.
  • No spot is safe on the offensive line because of the competition and that’s something that will help them.
  • Mac says they will play CeCe Jefferson inside and outside depending on the team and offense they play.
  • Antoneous Clayton, Taven Bryan and Khairi Clark are all guys Mac wants to see step up on the defensive line.
  • Kadarius Toney and Dre Massey will play a little bit of everywhere this spring. That will include running back, quarterback and receiver.
  • Mac says he really saw a turning point for the offensive line this spring after Brad Davis arrived. He says he’s excited for Davis and the energy he brings to the table.
  • Despite being a quite guy, Mac says the team listens when Martez Ivey talks.
  • When T.J. McCoy came into the line-up for Florida last year, Mac says he was a “lighting rod” for the team.
  • Chauncey Gardner is expected to stay at cornerback but could see time at nickel or safety as well.
  • Jeawon Taylor and Quincy Lenton are two guys that Mac says he thinks can help the team this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
From gatorcountry:

Here are the key things he had to say.

• The first few days of practice will be a little messed up because of guys finishing school but that sort out by Saturday.
  • Like the past two years, the Gators will run split practices so that the young guys can get caught up on things before starting to work with the older guys.
  • McElwain says this year’s camp will be different a lot tougher because he wants guys to be uncomfortable. He wants to see how guys will react to the situation so the situation isn’t new to them.
  • Florida is still waiting on some things to clear up on James Robinson before he’s able to enroll at Florida.
  • At this time McElwain doesn’t expect anyone to miss the Michigan game but did say that guys still have stuff to finish up before then.
  • Rick Wells, Nick Smith and McArthur Burnett will be going through treatment this fall. Jordan Sherit will be limited while Antonio Riles and Kavaris Harkless will split reps and be limited.
  • So far the reviews are that Malik Zaire is a good teammates and is on a mission to win a lot of games.
  • To help the secondary Randy Shannon has simplified things to make it easier for the guys.
  • In year three Mac says the offensive line has dramatically improved and the running back room is real now.
  • With the 25th anniversary of the Swamp, Mac has brought in former players to help the team understand the importance of the name. Mac says “The Swamp means everything.”
  • Luke Del Rio is in the plans but the staff wants to see how he does coming off of the injury.
  • Feliepe Franks sees Zaire as another challenge and Mac believes it will elevate his game even more.
  • Mac believes the team is at the point where they have the pieces to compete for a championship.
  • No spot is safe on the offensive line because of the competition and that’s something that will help them.
  • Mac says they will play CeCe Jefferson inside and outside depending on the team and offense they play.
  • Antoneous Clayton, Taven Bryan and Khairi Clark are all guys Mac wants to see step up on the defensive line.
  • Kadarius Toney and Dre Massey will play a little bit of everywhere this spring. That will include running back, quarterback and receiver.
  • Mac says he really saw a turning point for the offensive line this spring after Brad Davis arrived. He says he’s excited for Davis and the energy he brings to the table.
  • Despite being a quite guy, Mac says the team listens when Martez Ivey talks.
  • When T.J. McCoy came into the line-up for Florida last year, Mac says he was a “lighting rod” for the team.
  • Chauncey Gardner is expected to stay at cornerback but could see time at nickel or safety as well.
  • Jeawon Taylor and Quincy Lenton are two guys that Mac says he thinks can help the team this year.
Thanks. I sure hope this OL has truly become a team strength. We haven't been able to push anyone off the ball or pass protect in what feels like an eternity. Add that to our QB play and masterful coaching over the past decade and you forget what it's like to be able to put up points.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
More from SEC country:

• Opening comments: “If there was one thing that I would say about this year’s camp that may be a little bit different than in the past is the true competition at so many position groups. Our roster is on balance, pretty darn close. We’ve got a really good group numbers-wise at all the spots which will allow us to practice the way we expect to practice. … This camp is going to be uncomfortable for our guys. There’s going to be a lot of things stressed, such as sweating every small detail. There is no detail small enough to be overlooked. It’s going to be hard, and that’s intentional. I’m looking for us to take the next step where the uncomfortable becomes comfortable.”
  • On freshman WR James Robinson’s status: “We’re still waiting on some things to clear up on James Robinson. I’ll let you know when that happens and we’ll move on from there.”
  • On WR Antonio Callaway, indiretly, as to whether anyone will miss first game: “Right now everybody’s doing a great job. I don’t anticipate it. But there’s still some requirements on everybody. … As of right now, all hands on deck.”
  • Guys that will be limited in practice: DE Jordan Sherit, OL Antonio Riles and Kavaris Harkless.
  • On QB Malik Zaire: “He’s obviously on a mission and he’s here to help us win a bunch of games. I think the one really good thing it brings, it brings great competition to the position. Somewhere along the line at SEC Media Days I must have said I know who the starting quarterback was … I don’t know if I said that, but I guess if I did you had the scoop.”
  • “I think the one thing Coach Shannon has done since he’s (taken over as defensive coordinator) is simplify and let those guys go play.”
  • Expectations for offense: “The offensive line is dramatically improved and I am so excited about that. I think the depth at the WR position now allows us some unique weapons. Now we’re going to have to stay healthy, but so is everyone else. I think our RB room is real. Time will tell. And I’m excited about the competition at the QB position.”
  • On restoring offensive culture at Florida: “It’s one of the things we all know I was brought here to do. It hasn’t happened yet, but it’s constantly evolving. … I was also brought here to win. Whatever hand you’re given, you figure out how to play that hand. Sometimes you’ve got to bluff, but you’ve got to get a win at the end of the day and I think our guys have done a decent job of that.”
  • On Luke Del Rio’s status: “It will be interesting to see where he’s at off his injuries. I’ve said it, this guy was 5-1 and let’s call it, he should have been 5-0 as a quarterback a year ago had I not played him in the Arkansas game. … We’ll see where he is, but he’s definitely in the plans.”
  • On Feleipe Franks’ attitude: “If you’re a true competitor … I think he’s a guy in his makeup that this is another challenge that’s going to help him elevate his play, and also another guy that’s been in the arena that can help him. … I believe that he’s a guy that’s ready to go do this.”
  • On adjusting to a left-handed QB: “First thing we do is I go ahead and watch the film backwards so everything’s thrown right handed. … We’ve had left-handers, we’ve had right-handers. Coach Nussmeier is a left-hander, so teaching wise, progression wise …
  • No thought of flipping offensive tackles to accommodate a lefty? “We have in the past. Martez Ivey at left, Jawaan Taylor at right, I feel pretty good about it. But that’s a great question.”
  • On DT Taven Bryan: “It’s time. This guy has learned from a couple really good players that have moved on. He’s got to be a big key for us in there. I know he’s not a young guy, but he hasn’t taken a lot of snaps.”
  • “I’m looking for Antonneous Clayton to be a change-up guy and be ready to go when we’re looking to get after the passer a little bit.”
  • On the DL: “We need some guys to really step up interior wise. We’ll find out early in camp.”
  • On Kadarius Toney: “You guys will be able to see at practice what we’re working on that day what kind of position he’s at. He’s going to be a little bit of everywhere, which is a good thing. Same thing with Dre Massey.”
  • Jim McElwain has not put a timeline on the QB competition.
  • On young DBs: “I know that these guys chose to come here not only for what the University of Florida can do for them, but for the opportunity that they have to play.”
  • On RB Jordan Scarlett: “I think he’s done a much better job and he’s really worked on some of the things, especially be able to catch the ball more and be more of a three-down back.”
  • On LT Martez Ivey: “He’s embraced full-on. I think he’s at his comfort level now back at tackle. However I think what he learned at the guard position with the communication piece alone has helped him be a better player. … When he talks the team listens.”
  • On Alabama coach Nick Saban’s suggestion that Power 5 programs should only play Power 5 programs: “I think it’s what people want. And in doing that, possibly expanding into that playoff and using the bowl system as part of that, I think there’s probably some merit to that. And yet nobody at the NCAA has called me or asked my opinion, and it will probably stay that way.”
  • On center TJ McCoy: “I think TJ McCoy was kind of a lightning rod for his from a transformation piece. The care, the want, being a legacy and playing in The Swamp for him, that’s real. You hear me talk about how to affect the guys around you in a positive way. He’s definitely one of those guys.”
  • Will Chauncey Gardner be safety? “He’s still going to start at corner. That’s his natural position, but what he did obviously moving to nickel and safety was highlighted in the bowl game. As of right now we’ve got to see where that competition is. … We still want him early in camp to focus on the corner.”
  • On Quincy Lenton and Jeawon Taylor at safety: “Quincy and Jeawon, two guys who got hurt last year but were in our plans. … And yet what we saw early when they were out there are guys we feel can play for us. It will be interesting to see that battle with those guys.”
  • On the freshmen DBs: “I don’t throw those young guys’ names out because it’s not fair, and yet I’m excited to see those guys (compete).”
  • On the recruiting momentum: “This whole thing’s about relationships. Not a lot people knew much about us. I think what comes to fruition is the honesty in which we talk to them … and our current players (reiterate) that it’s true. … The way we treat our players I think is something that’s a real positive. … It takes some time to develop that.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.