UF players take on QB competition

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some interesting comments, seems like Appleby is getting a lot of love from some of the players. I wasn't aware he was a running threat either.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/notebook-gators-players-give-their-take-on-floridas-qb-battle

Notebook: Gators players give their take on Florida’s QB battle

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida’s quarterback competition is coming to a close, with Gators coach Jim McElwain planning to name a starter next week.

Several UF players gave their take Tuesday on the battle between Austin Appleby and Luke Del Rio.

“Luke is more comfortable in the offense right because he’s been here for a year,” left guard Martez Ivey said. “He knows how to run (the system) and knows how it goes. He’s more of a dropback passer.

“Appleby is more of a scramble type, in my opinion, but he also can sit back in the pocket and throw the ball. He can do just as good as Luke, too. It’s a tough competition between those two.”

Defensive end Bryan Cox Jr. also said Appleby is a run threat but possesses more arm strength than Del Rio, who has a vocal presence on offense.

“Luke, of course, more of the motivator. Very, very good in the red zone,” right guard Tyler Jordan said. “Austin is very good reading stuff and running with it.”

Jordan added that both quarterbacks do well with two-minute drills. Safety Nick Washington said Appleby is more difficult to defend.

“Only because he will make you think he is throwing and then run away. He’ll extend the play,” Washington explained.

“Austin Appleby is a little more of a runner. Whereas Luke will sit in the pocket a little more. They both manage the game very well and get the offense going.”

The players said they don’t care when the starter is announced, but Jordan is anxious to find out the news.

“I’m excited,” Jordan said. “They’ve both been working really hard. They’ve both looked great. So I’m excited to see who it’s going to be.”

Young linebackers emerging
The Gators grew thinner at linebacker this week with the departure of Matt Rolin, but the three freshmen at the position have all impressed in fall camp.

“In the past few recruiting classes we haven’t picked up linebackers,” Cox said. “So it’s real important for us to have Reese come along. And then we have Vosean, who’s been looking really good as well.

“Moon, he’s a real long, rangy guy. I’ll believe he’ll be able to help us, especially in the pass rush aspect. I think he can rush the passer. … These past few days, (Reese) has been coming along. He’s flashing on film every time.”

Moon still needs to fill out his frame, but Joseph and Reese appear to be ready physically for playing time.

“I see David Reese stepping up. He’s playing hard. Always giving us competition,” Ivey said. “The freshman, Vosean. You know, they’re tough linebackers to go against. They always bring it. They come down, always bring the heat.”

Communication is key
Florida had a top-10 defense in 2015 and hopes to maintain that level of play this year despite losing six starters.

In order to avoid a drop-off defensively, Washington highlighted one area the Gators need to excel in.

“Communication is a really big part of playing,” he said. “In order to be successful you have to be communicating. You have to be on the same page as everyone around you. If one guy is playing Cover-3 and another is playing Cover-1, then the entire defense is messed up.

“We’re working very well on our communication, we’ve just got to keep putting great practices back-to-back-to-back. We can’t have one good practice and then kind of slack off the next. We have to hold the standard.”

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Anybody else notice players using similar terms and themes as the coaches? It's like they're all listening and buying into what Mac is preaching to them. Lots of indications they are gelling as a team.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the safety likes applebee better because he throws him the ball

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Competition breeds excellence. This is good for UF and the offense. Guys cant afford to take a day off.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've had about enough of having guys better at running than throwing...give me the passer

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Please please let him pick a starter and not do like he did last year. No flip flopping. Pick one and go with him.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Also, you don't want true freshman LBs starting in the SEC. Hell, see Ga Tech. Remember the Mid-line!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I remember watching a game awhile back where our DB was frantically jumping up-down trying to
get the attention of our out-of-position S ? How can they communicate "longdistance" with that
mouthpiece in ?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I remember watching a game awhile back where our DB was frantically jumping up-down trying to
get the attention of our out-of-position S ? How can they communicate "longdistance" with that
mouthpiece in ?

Hand signals. :D

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hand signals. :D

But our "leader"DB was jumping frantically because the S was not looking at him, not noticing.
I was thinking that the DB recognized the play and our S was in dangerous mis-position

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've had about enough of having guys better at running than throwing...give me the passer
Welcome back, Gator Nation. It seems like we forgot what it was like to have a Qb playing Qb instead of an Hback.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
.... need that QB who knows precisely where receivers are at the count of specific seconds after he's
taken the snap.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Appleby ran for it like 3-4 times in the spring game and looked like a decent runner but I am much more interested in a solid passing game and let our RBs pound the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator