UF vs Oklahoma WCWS

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
What a game. We shall see what they are made of tomorrow hopefully we show up to play.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Wow. This one was hard to take. Used up a lot of pitching in one game, but so did they. Winning two straight against home field is tough, but not impossible. Great thing is we've got a third starting pitcher with a top 7 ERA. No other team has that including Okies. Oh, and she's a great hitter, too. Can you say Ocasio?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Wow. This one was hard to take. Used up a lot of pitching in one game, but so did they. Winning two straight against home field is tough, but not impossible. Great thing is we've got a third starting pitcher with a top 7 ERA. No other team has that including Okies. Oh, and she's a great hitter, too. Can you say Ocasio?
You obviously don't know much about women's college softball. Pitching isnt at thing. These girls can pitch literally 4 games straight without any drop off. The coaches change pitchers just to give different looks. Ocasio throws a ball with little to no movement. That's why Barnhill is so good, her ball has tremendous movement. Those corn fed Okie girls will eat Ocasio up after seeing her once.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
The Spankster! One of my all time favorites. Did you know most of the Little Rascals cast died young and that Alfalfa was murdered in a dispute over money? Tragic.

Has to be the toughest loss in Gator softball history. Never a plan B for the offense. Great comebacks to tie in the 7th down 1 and the 12th down 2 only to leave runner the winning run in scoring position. Hitting lefties is not easy for the Gators which is why I didn't want OU in the finals. And the Sooners have a deeper lineup too. The Gators gets thin after the cleanup hitter. But they should have won this game. Barnhill the POY with only 24 wins was perfect after 4. It should have been on lockdown for a POY pitcher.

I hope OU is off there game or rests their best pitcher like they did last year after beating Auburn in game 1. The problem is their best pitcher is lefty and Florida's best hitters are lefty. Advantage OU. Let's remember the Gators barely beat Alabama in the Supers to get to the WCWS and everyone was raving about the Gators after 2 WCWS games but they beat inferior teams without question. Tonight will be a real test. I hope they show up bigtime and the bats help out the pitching which will be tired. Remember the Gators top 2 pitchers baby each other almost splitting pitching time so neither gets overworked. I am sure they are exhausted after game 1. Hope OU plays it safe and starts their worst starting pitcher to rest their top 2 for a possible game 3. ;)

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
What a tremendous game. Epic. I wish we'd been on the winning side of that....what a great effort.

Couple of points after looking at the box score.
http://www.ncaa.com/game/softball/d1/2017/06/05/oklahoma-florida/boxscore

Kayli Kvistad was 0-7 at the plate. That really hurts. She's one of our best hitters but just had a horrible night.

The bottom of the Gator batting order was the most productive at the plate. If they can do that in these next two games, AND the top of the order can get some hits, Gators can win this thing.

Lastly, I cannot help but wonder how this game would have turned out in a real neutral environment. Even the players mentioned in the post game press conference that a home field advantage was noticeable. In a game like this, the energy from the predominately OK crowd could have made the difference.

Go Gators!!!

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Good point about Kvistad. She shrunk big time. Sad. I wonder if her botched play at the end of the UW SF game which cost Gourley a shutout hurt her confidence. Or it could be OU's lefty pitchers. Gourely giving up bombs in back to back games is alarming even though she pitched so well otherwise.

Who starts tonight for UF and OU? That is the question?

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Bottom OU just refused to lose. It will be one tough task to win two with them.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
A couple of missed opportunities... heartbreaking. I hope they can bounce back! Go Gators!!!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I expect OU to start the spinner and bring the power in late in the game.

I'd guess Walton will start Gorley.

That is what I was thinking as well

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
It was amazing to see the game change on TWO consecutive pitches by Gorley.

She gave up the double. Then the very next pitch the OU player homered. It demonstrates how quickly a close game can change on just two pitches.

Kudos to the OU players for capitalizing on those pitches, and for in game adjustments against Barnhill.

It was still a magnificent pitching effort by Gorley/Barnhill. OU got quality hits when UF didn't.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Bottom OU just refused to lose. It will be one tough task to win two with them.
Tough task winning one. I'll hope for tonight and take chances on game 3. But getting to game 3 is asking alot the way they lost last night. Hope they have thier hitting shoes on.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I expect OU to start the spinner and bring the power in late in the game.

I'd guess Walton will start Gorley.
After watching the wcws Gourely is better than Barnhill who was POY. Who is more tired after last night? Barnhill or Gourely? Gourely giving up bombs though. Scary.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Tough, tough loss. Too many missed opportunities, including the bottom half of the 17th inning. Let's hope they rebound tonight and send this to game 3.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
If you take away the HR's last night OU might not have scored a run. They are a tough team but if we can stop the long ball I think we can win tonight. I'll go 3-1 UF and we forces a game 3

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Gators haven't lost a series all year. Don't start tonight. ;) But the Sooners look bigger, stronger and tougher. Barnhill needs to regroup because I can't imagine Gourely going the distance tonight. Kvistad who had a great season had a disastrous game 1. I hope she can regroup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator