Baseball: Chipper Jones
Boxing: Mike Tyson
MMA: Chuck Liddell

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
This one is unquestionably not true. He was not even the greatest player of his era. The clearly greatest player of his era was a 6'9" PG who could play center in a pinch in the NBA finals. Talk about being able to guard 5 positions, he could play all five positions.

d7d

unquestionably? Lmao

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
This one is unquestionably not true. He was not even the greatest player of his era. The clearly greatest player of his era was a 6'9" PG who could play center in a pinch in the NBA finals. Talk about being able to guard 5 positions, he could play all five positions.

Sorry, I don't follow the NBA closely. Care to provide a name?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hockey player - Wayne Gretzky

Skateboarder - Tony Hawk

I don't know if we can have a more general track and field category for Carl Lewis because what he did was pretty amazing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can safely say Federer was great, but not the GOAT. He played in a watered down era until Nadal came around. Tennis has evolved and today's players don't have the same challenges as prior generations. Without getting into details that no one really cares about, they game is drastically different than the days of MacEnroe and Sampras. I'd probably give the nod to Laver.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What about golf... Nicklaus, Woods, Snead, Palmer, Hogan? I'd go with Woods, before his meltdown obviously.

It's debatable. I think at his best, Tiger was better than Nicklaus at his best, but Tiger's career was cut short by injuries. Nicklaus was great for a much longer period of time. If there's a dispute, then it's not indisputable, right?

Alex.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can't agree on Jordan. Single most dominant player - Chamberlain (100 point game, 30 points and 23 rebounds per game career average, and they didn't even count blocks back them). Best team player - Russell (11 titles in 13 years). Best five-position player - Magic Johnson. Jordan was great, but not the greatest.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the gap between Tom Brady and a few others is that big of a gap. Is definitely the best ever I just don't think the gap is that large.

Jerry Rice is the best receiver ever and it's a huge gap. Maybe number two is Steve Largent? Or Randy Moss?

Muhammad Ali was great but I don't know if the gap is that large with him either. Is he that much better than Frazier? Foreman?

Yes to Bolt, Jordan, Federer, and Phelps. Best by a country mile.

Babe? What was he? 200lbs? I don't think he could play in today's game. I don't think you can have a best ever in baseball. Maybe by position?

It's impossible to compare across eras so you look at dominance compared to peers.

On the minus side, Babe didn't have to face African or Latin American pitchers.

On the plus side, he played at a time when all the best athletes played baseball (except for a few that boxed), and a higher percentage of Americans played baseball. It was the only real professional sport you could make money at (again, other than boxing).

His numbers were so much better than everybody else's, they invented a word for it..."Ruthian". In 1926, Ruth hit 47 HR with a .372 batting average. The guy in 2nd place hit 19 HR. In 2016, the top HR hitter also hit 47. But the guy in 50th place hit 27. That's how much better Ruth was than everybody else in his era. In 1920 he broke his own HR record by hitting 54. The guy in 2nd place hit 19. That year, Ruth hit 284% more HR than the guy in 2nd place. That's why when your stats dwarf everybody else's, they call it ruthian.

Plus Ruth hit for average (career .342, STILL 10th best all-time) AND he was a solid pitcher before they made him an every day player (set a long-standing record for scoreless innings pitched in the WS).

So in my book, he's the baseball GOAT.

Alex.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Babe was a damned good pitcher if Im enot wrong. And when he broke out with home runs he had more than some teams. His stats were like when Bob Beamon broke the BJ record by almost two feet. Funny fwiw. I cannot search Babe Ruth at work because of the word "babe"...............

Had Ruth not ever become a hitter, he probably was putting together a Hall of Fame career as a pitcher. In the regular season he went 94-46 in 6 seasons of really being a pitcher. He had a low era too, but in a dead ball era.

And yes, I was talking about Earvin Johnson as the best player of his era.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's impossible to compare across eras so you look at dominance compared to peers.

On the minus side, Babe didn't have to face African or Latin American pitchers.

On the plus side, he played at a time when all the best athletes played baseball (except for a few that boxed), and a higher percentage of Americans played baseball. It was the only real professional sport you could make money at (again, other than boxing).

His numbers were so much better than everybody else's, they invented a word for it..."Ruthian". In 1926, Ruth hit 47 HR with a .372 batting average. The guy in 2nd place hit 19 HR. In 2016, the top HR hitter also hit 47. But the guy in 50th place hit 27. That's how much better Ruth was than everybody else in his era. In 1920 he broke his own HR record by hitting 54. The guy in 2nd place hit 19. That year, Ruth hit 284% more HR than the guy in 2nd place. That's why when your stats dwarf everybody else's, they call it ruthian.

Plus Ruth hit for average (career .342, STILL 10th best all-time) AND he was a solid pitcher before they made him an every day player (set a long-standing record for scoreless innings pitched in the WS).

So in my book, he's the baseball GOAT.

Alex.
Great post. The only players who I can think of that compare as far as dominance and all-around ability are concerned are Mays, Griffey, and Aaron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.